Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to complain to Ofcom?

(9 Posts)
Arachnophobic Sun 28-Oct-12 18:51:31

So I switched off Nick Junior at 17.50 and put ITV on. Downtown Abbey came on and one of the male actors refers to a "bastard child".

Granted I know that this was a word used in those times reference illegitimate children, but my DS (aged 4) was listening and asked me what a bastard was.

Really annoyed. Shall I complain or am I just being a bit precious here?

Ps I am not a Downton viewer usually, maybe if I was I should have known better?

Hemlet Sun 28-Oct-12 18:57:17

Just tell him what it means without making a song and dance about it. He'll be less likely to use it again and may forget all about it. It's like using the word 'bitch' in the context of a female dog.
Bastard is used in The Simpsons, so is bitch, crap, damn plus others. It's not a big deal really.

Dawndonna Sun 28-Oct-12 18:59:07

It is used to describe a child born out of wedlock. Will you have trouble explaining wedlock too? Seriously, it's just a word and the bigger deal you make of it, the bigger deal he will.

Arachnophobic Sun 28-Oct-12 19:01:59

Oh I have dealt with it, and no I made no big deal out of it.....he seemed happy enough with the explanation. Just felt a bit narked I had to explain in the first place. So much for the watershed.

Hemlet Sun 28-Oct-12 19:04:19

To be fair it wasn't used as a swear word. Like you say it's period appropriate and used as such. If it was bitch in reference to a dog would you be as upset? Genuine question

mutny Sun 28-Oct-12 19:06:07

That is the correct term. That's what it means. The fact it is now used as a swear word is neither here nor there and does not change the fact that word actually has a meaning and was used correctly.
Yabu.

HeinousHecate Sun 28-Oct-12 19:06:29

I have noticed all bets are off when it comes to language on the tv and radio these days
[cat's bum mouth]

I would just explain what it means. This is a programme about X year and it is an old word that used to mean Y but people don't use it any more because nobody cares about Y.

That way you, hopefully, avoid the toe curling embarrassment of him saying something to kids in the school whose parents aren't married grin

Arachnophobic Sun 28-Oct-12 19:10:08

hemlet I think for me, bitch in a dog programme for instance, no problem. Thrown as an insult then yes. In the context it was said in Downton, it was an insult as well as being descriptive.

Hemlet Sun 28-Oct-12 19:15:23

I can understand what you mean as it's a derogatory term, even then.
But I think due to the context you'd be best to let it go and just be aware for the future.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now