Talk

Advanced search

To think is bloody terrible of this nursing home, serving chicken pie to residents,

(59 Posts)
TheCunnyFuntOfEastwick Sun 28-Oct-12 15:09:42

That is actually not chicken, but rabbit! My grandma has been in a nursing home for a while, she broke her knee and couldn't manage to go home and look after herself so she booked herself into the nursing home next door.

One night they had 'chicken' pie for tea, the carer that took my grandma hers told her it was actually rabbit, but the other residents wouldn't eat it if they knew, so they were all told it was chicken!

This isn't any old crappy home either, it's meant to be one of the best ones in our town, last month my grandmas bill was over 4.5k for both her and her husband (he is there full time) shock

AIBU to think this is bloody disgraceful? I've been furious at MIL before when I ate chicken pie then found out later it was actually rabbit.

HeinousHecate Sun 28-Oct-12 15:11:36

blush I've actually done that to my sister and her family. In a casserole.

And yes. It's wrong.

People should know what they are eating.

BeingBooyhoo Sun 28-Oct-12 15:14:14

why are they making rabbit pie when most of teh residents wont eat it? surely they should just be making chicken pie if tehy're going to call it chicken?

bureni Sun 28-Oct-12 15:15:00

I would prefer rabbit to chicken myself but people should know what they are eating. I find it strange though as rabbit would be more expensive than chicken to buy in and nursing homes tend to buy what is cheapest and least hassle to cook.

AmberLeaf Sun 28-Oct-12 15:15:14

Im amazed at the suggestion the other residents wouldn't eat it TBH, most people that ive known to appreciate a bit of rabbit eating were over 70.

MrsMiniversCharlady Sun 28-Oct-12 15:17:33

Are you sure that the carer wasn't 'joking'? (Not that it's funny)

Why would the care home go to the trouble of making rabbit pie, which IME is a fair bit more hassle than making chicken pie?

NettoSpookerstar Sun 28-Oct-12 15:18:39

Isn't rabbit more expensive than chicken?

TheCunnyFuntOfEastwick Sun 28-Oct-12 15:19:47

They got rabbit because the husband of someone who works there goes shooting so can provide free rabbit.

I think it's worse because (and I know this is going to sound absolutely awful) my grandma is the only person in the home who is all there. Everybody else, well, they aren't all there. I just feel like it's taking advantage of their vulnerability sad

Witchety Sun 28-Oct-12 15:21:35

Hey, at least it was home made and cooked from scratch!

HazeltheMcWitch Sun 28-Oct-12 15:22:58

"special chicken" it was for us growing up.

Thanks, mum. Yup, we had bunnies at pets.

bureni Sun 28-Oct-12 15:23:13

I doubt very much if a nursing home would be allowed to cook and serve rabbit that was shot by a local, the food supplied has to be of a high standard through certification and not something a local has just shot and flogged cheaply. If this is the case then the authorities need to be informed and the rabbit tested.

HazeltheMcWitch Sun 28-Oct-12 15:23:17

To be clear, we did not eat our pets!

BeingBooyhoo Sun 28-Oct-12 15:24:25

i'd feel the same as you cunnyfunt. it shouldn't matter what their mental state is, if tehy prefer not to eat rabbit, they shouldn't be tricked into eating it. sad for those people. what else are they being hoodwinked about.

tiredemma Sun 28-Oct-12 15:29:25

This is wrong.. I work in health and social care, If the CQC were aware that patients were being served rabbit as chicken, which was shot by a local farmer there would be some eyebrows raised. You can't give people rabbit and pretend its chicken, what about respecting the patients rights and dignity. This is worrying, what other kinds of 'under the radar' stuff could be happening in that home?

MsVestibule Sun 28-Oct-12 15:31:55

Reminds me of the time my vegetarian uncle unknowingly ate a 'nut roast' at a buffet at my DM's (his DSis) house - he didn't know it was actually made of sausage meat. Knowing full well he was a vegetarian, when he said "ooh, DSis, this nut roast is delicious", she said "I'm glad you like it so much, would you like to take some home with you?" shock

IslaMann Sun 28-Oct-12 15:32:02

Bollocks. Don't believe it.

MrsRajeshKoothrappali Sun 28-Oct-12 15:32:33

This kind of stuff is common.

sad

The nursing home I've recently left (if anyone here read my extensive work/depression threads) would do things like this. Give non-vegatarian foods to vegetarians because 'they don't know what they're eating', use powdered milk on cereal because it's cheaper, buy entirely Tesco Value products.

It sucks. It's not just food, I could rant for days.

I've decided I'm never setting foot in a nursing home again....!

sad

bureni Sun 28-Oct-12 15:34:47

Lets get real here, farmer Bloggs arrives at nursing home with a bag full of dead rabbits which contain lead shot or a bullet after being killed locally, the kitchen staff sit themselves down to remove the head, legs and skin from the rabbits before opening them up to remove the internal organs and guts. Then into the pot they go to be served to the residents under the name of chicken, why would anyone go through this expensive, time consuming and illegal process as opposed to opening a bag of chicken pieces which cost a lot less in terms of money and time.

TheCunnyFuntOfEastwick Sun 28-Oct-12 15:35:22

You'd be surprised Bureni, my grandma says most of the food there is very cheap quality. The sausages are mushy, the pork pies are mainly jelly and the only veg they ever seem to serve are potatoes, carrots, cauli and cabbage.

tiredemma Sun 28-Oct-12 15:37:41

Alarm bells ring for me with this kind of stuff.

mutny Sun 28-Oct-12 15:41:44

They got rabbit because the husband of someone who works there goes shooting so can provide free rabbit.

They are lying or joking. Dh used to be a regional manager for BUPA homes catering.

This is illegal. Nursing homes have to purchase meat from an approved source.

bureni Sun 28-Oct-12 15:42:10

Rubbish, no nursing home is going to serve a local farmers dead rabbits to its residents. All the food served has to be certified and traceable and since prepacked chicken costs a lot less than farmer Bloggs lead filled freshly killed rabbits methinks you do tell little porkies.

mutny Sun 28-Oct-12 15:42:50

And Thb 4.5 for 2 people in home is not that much. I know its alot of money. But most homes would be more than that even the lower rate ones.

mutny Sun 28-Oct-12 15:45:52

You'd be surprised Bureni, my grandma says most of the food there is very cheap quality

That's different to using meat that has been killed by someone they know. You have to bare in mind that the site catering manager could be charged with manslaughter if they served something from an unapproved source and a resident got ill and died.

Low quality is about right, using illegal meat is another.

AmberLeaf Sun 28-Oct-12 15:47:01

Yeah im thinking someone is making up stories.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now