Advanced search

Urgent help needed. Sorry ladies not AIBU

(18 Posts)
coraltoes Sun 28-Oct-12 14:09:27

My cleaner has called me sobbing that her partner (who is abusive) is trying to throw her out of th ehouse. Her English is poor (i speak her anguage) she isn't here totally legally yet (papers being processed for working visa or whatever) but followed him when he brought their daughter over and he gave her no choice otherwise she wouldn't see her DD. She doesn't know what to do. It is a council flat in his name. He is abusive. What do I advise other than to call the police?? Women's aid not answering. They are on other side of London to me, and I'm not sure leaving the property is wise if she can't then return?

Does ANYONE have any advice? I am desperate to hell her.


coraltoes Sun 28-Oct-12 14:11:18

Help her.

And sorry for posting here, just need highest traffic really.

catgirl1976 Sun 28-Oct-12 14:11:30

I don't know if calling the police is best if she isn't here legally

Can you send a couple of male friends / realatives to get all her stuff from the flat and try some immigration support websites / phone numbers or something?

Hopefully someone who knows what they are talking about will be on soon

DozyDuck Sun 28-Oct-12 14:11:58

I don't know sad but bumping a bit for you

WorraLiberty Sun 28-Oct-12 14:12:22

Can you not tell her to make her way over to you?

Leaving the property is very wise if he's abusive and as she's not here legally, she won't be entitled to return to the property anyway.

Fairylea Sun 28-Oct-12 14:12:40

How about shelter ? Is her dd with her ?

catgirl1976 Sun 28-Oct-12 14:13:23

link that might help

Nancy66 Sun 28-Oct-12 14:14:24

catgirl - that organisation are in Australia.

creamteas Sun 28-Oct-12 14:14:31

If she/her daughter is in danger then she needs to leave now and worry about the housing later. Better homeless than dead.

Southall Black Sisters are experts in DV with immigration issues try them.

littlemisssarcastic Sun 28-Oct-12 14:15:57

I have no advice, sorry, but hope she can get her DD out of the house too if her P is abusive. Not sure where they can go or who to turn to, so hope someone more knowledgeable can help.

Bedat10 Sun 28-Oct-12 14:16:00

This org may be able to help. I think they are open on Sundays too sometimes:

MyLastDuchess Sun 28-Oct-12 14:17:41

I would call an immigration lawyer or support group anonymously and ask for advice. I don't know how it works in the UK but in NL where I live you are protected from being thrown out of the country in this sort of Domestic violence situation. That's assuming her application is at least being processed.

catgirl1976 Sun 28-Oct-12 14:18:09

oh feck sorry - maybe there is something similar UK based?

WorraLiberty Sun 28-Oct-12 14:28:12

I don't get what you mean by this OP.... she isn't here totally legally yet (papers being processed for working visa or whatever)

If her papers are being processed, surely she's entitled to be here in the meantime?

Fair enough she's not entitled to work for you but no-one has to know that do they?

coraltoes Sun 28-Oct-12 14:42:11

Sorry she is he legally to my knowledge but she says she has her papers with the authorities at the moment so doesn't have NHS, or benefits...honestly I have no idea of the ins and outs. What I do know is the police have dealt with them a few times, and she is still here, so I seriously doubt they'd have let her stay if her papers weren't right. BUT her daughter is a Eu citizen and she is not...could that be why they let her stay??

I am not home, I'm away with work so can't physically help. I rang the non mergency number and they said the police station can drive her to a refuge if she walks in, so I've told her that. I tried ringing women's aid but no answer. Will check all your links now.

Worra I don't think she understands the paper process, and her partner is saying if she calls the police they will take her away from her she is terrified, the woman on the police number assures me they do not do this. I have no idea, sad

coraltoes Sun 28-Oct-12 14:43:08

If I vanish it is not due to lack of gratitutude...Ill check back routinely. Thanks so much ladies

coraltoes Sun 28-Oct-12 14:45:54

Ok that southall black sisters link has been an enormous help. She has a right to police help, and a possible protection order. Thanks

MyLastDuchess Sun 28-Oct-12 14:51:47

Yes also what Worra said, this I know from my own experience. As long as your papers are being processed then you are in the country legally, you generally get a stamp in your passport to that effect. Obviously you shouldn't be working then but again, nobody needs to know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now