Talk

Advanced search

to only spend £60 on DS for xmas...

(63 Posts)
lola88 Sun 28-Oct-12 13:46:09

... i can afford more but he's only going to be almost 11 months and does not want or need much. He's getting a bounce and spin zebra a couple of cheap baby books and a night garden DVD, he will be spoiled rotten from both sides for the family (first GC on DP's side second on mine) so i don't see the point in buying him more.

According to a few people thats a bit mean just because he's a baby he shouldn't go without, which he isn't because i spent £60 on toys at 6 months so he has tones already. Someone i know has spent £250 all on credit cards on her baby who will be 15mo at xmas to me thats unreasonable

AIBU not spending all we have on DS? I seriously don't think i am, his favourite toy right now is an empty diet coke bottle FFS

catgirl1976 Sun 28-Oct-12 13:46:56

YANBU

I might not spend anything on DS who is also 11 months as he doesn't need anything

honeytea Sun 28-Oct-12 13:49:21

YABU spending 60 pounds on a baby when he wont know/care about the pressies (in my opinion.)

If I were you I'd get a nice cheapish toy (15-20 pounds) then wrap up some 12-18 month clothes so he has some extra bits under the tree.

lola88 Sun 28-Oct-12 13:50:53

He's getting the bounce and spin because he's a bounce addict it's £50 it will last a year or 2 and i know he will love it.

scorpionne Sun 28-Oct-12 13:52:37

Seems ok to me but I would spend even less if I were you.

I'm spending about that on each of my dcs who are 11, 9 and 6.

AlwaysHoldingOnToStarbug Sun 28-Oct-12 13:52:51

YANBU. On ds3, 4 & 5's first Christmases I only spent about £10 on them as we already had so many toys. What would be the point of duplicating what was there? I also wrapped up the older twos old toys to give to them. (stuff that had been put away so they hadn't seen it before) I got called mean too.

The bounce and spin zebra is a great toy, ds5 had one and it's all he ever played with!

DontmindifIdo Sun 28-Oct-12 13:54:14

That sounds like good gifts for a 11month old, and you will get a sea of brightly coloured plastic from family, so don't waste your money.

If you feel bad you've not spent 'enough' put the difference between that and what you would have spent in an account for him.

Re your family spoiling him, if they haven't already got everything, could you say that you think he'll get a lot for christmas, but then after his birthday it's a long way until he next gets new toys and would they mind gettng a few things that are suitable for 18months+ which you'll put to one side for the summer.

GreatGardenstuff Sun 28-Oct-12 13:54:17

YANBU. DS will be 13 months and I doubt he'll get £60 worth of stuff from us. Not because we can't afford it, but because we'll struggle to find things he needs that he doesn't already have, or family won't get him. He gets lots of hand me downs from his cousins already and we have a small house!

Fairylea Sun 28-Oct-12 13:54:46

Yanbu. Our ds is 4months and we are only spending about £20 on him!

He will enjoy looking at the tree more I think !

StuntGirl Sun 28-Oct-12 13:55:21

He won't know. If you really want buy 'future' presents - clothes etc he can wear in the next 12 months. However for a baby I'd probably buy naff all. And put the money in a savings account for their future or something.

Naghoul Sun 28-Oct-12 13:55:44

YANBU, why would you spend more than that.

With very small children, get one thing they'll want and a load of stuff they need. Actually I do that with bigger children too blush

greenbananas Sun 28-Oct-12 13:57:37

The best presents are not necessarily the most expensive ones, especially at this age. YANBU at all.

scorpionne Sun 28-Oct-12 13:58:35

Naghoul I do that with mine too. I wonder when they will work it out. grin

mamij Sun 28-Oct-12 13:59:19

We didn't spend anything on DD when she turned one (a couple of days ago). She inherited everything from DD1 (now almost 3).

Did her a birthday cake with candles and gave her extra cuddles.

I know she'll be bombarded with lots of presents from aunties and friends, that she doesn't need any more.

We will be spending a lot more when she's old enough to understand / start asking for things.

SneezySnatcher Sun 28-Oct-12 14:01:07

YANBU. Have done and will do the same.BLast year (DD was almost two) we got her about five presents (plus some clothes). She seemed a lot happier (and played with them all) than 3 year old DNephew, who got an obscene amount and was overwhelmed.

This year, she's asked for a Rex and a balloon grin. We will get her a few other things, but not many.

TheReturnOfBridezilla Sun 28-Oct-12 14:04:14

Gosh £60 is plenty. I haven't spent a great deal more on my three year old.

You are also going to be overwhelmed by the sea of plastic other people will buy for dc's first Christmas. I know I was. grin

Snazzyspookyandscary Sun 28-Oct-12 14:04:46

I wouldn't even feel I had to spend 60 on such a young child. If anything, just get him the zebra. He'll get stuff from other people anyway. Make the most of the first couple of years when they aren't yet capable of demanding things by the ton. YANBU.

oohlaalaa Sun 28-Oct-12 14:05:27

YANBU.

We are planning to spend £10, but I won't tell anyone how little we are spending. It doesn't mean we love our daughter any less, it's just we are skint.

bbface Sun 28-Oct-12 14:08:40

Absolutely not unreasonable, in any shape or form.

We bought nothing for first Christmas. family bought some bits, but a spoon, car keys and black berry were fav toys.

This yr ds will be 2.6.... This yr, I am excited, as whilst he will not grasp Christmas, he will grasp something exciting is going on and he completely understands what a present is! Plus, he loves loves loves playg with toys now. So this yr, we most definitely are getting prezzies.m but no regrets whatsoever about not doing do before hand. On another similar thread, I was called mean!! Honestly, at 11 months it is about everyday items that intrigue them and lots of tickling and flinging in the air!

lljkk Sun 28-Oct-12 14:09:18

I'm leaning towards YABU because I'd rate it as too much!! smile I have spent far far less on DC at that age & quite a bit older. I think the key is, just spend what you feel you want to spend. Ignore all critics.

Yanbu. I've spent £20 on 7 mo Ds and I'll probably get him a new bedtime story book and that's it. We've booked a holiday for when he's 18 months and would rather spend the money then when we'll all appreciate it.

weeblueberry Sun 28-Oct-12 14:17:13

YANBU. He's still very much a baby and won't understand the difference between you spending £60 or £600. Its far more important to get him one or two things he'll love than to spend an absolute fortune going overboard and getting him things he'll play with for 2 minutes then abandon because there's 50 other things to look at surely?

teacherwith2kids Sun 28-Oct-12 14:18:17

We will spend less than £60 each on Christmas presents for our DCs - and they are 9 and 11. The most we ever spent in a single year was the year we bought them a DS to share between the two of them....

£35 - £40 on each child would be the absolute maximum for us usually.

TheOnlyPersonInTheDarkDarkRoom Sun 28-Oct-12 14:23:36

YANBU and imho it's too much
My girl will be 15mo this Xmas and we are contemplating just getting her some clothes tbh and maybe something nice for her bedroom. She has tonnes of stuff already that she doesn't play with and will get more. She will enjoy the wrapping more than anything else, and pulling baubles off the tree. Xmas is overwhelming enough for tinies without over-facing them with plastic crap!!

akaemmafrost Sun 28-Oct-12 14:25:12

I spent a fortune on ds's first Christmas blush. I was a doughnut.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now