Talk

Advanced search

Can we start an Ikea are shit thread? Anyone else got tales of woe ?

(32 Posts)
shattereddreams Sun 28-Oct-12 11:25:18

Ordered £800 worth of wardrobe online. Got delivery date confirmed by text and email.
6 week wait. Ok. Booked day off work.
About 4 days before the delivery, I get bombarded with texts changing the delivery date, back another 6 weeks.

Phone them. Expensive call on 0845. Takes 45 minutes to get through. They cut me off.
Call back. 45 minutes.

It seems one tiny component of my order is now out of stock. However it is clearly IN stock at my two nearest stores. At least their website shows that.

So instead of calling me, discussing it etc. they just reschedule my whole order back 6 weeks.

They then can't give me back my original delivery slot and DENY that I was ever confirmed it in the first place. When I offer to send the email confirmation or txt he declines.

So I ask for the delivery charge to be refunded for the inconvenience of having to get another day off work with 4 days notice. No can do. He does offer that if I go to store, order everything again, it can be delivered next day on the original (unconfirmed!) slot.
So I have to take a day off the day before I booked a day off? Yeah right.

Argue. Get a supervisor. She agrees to refund delivery.
It will go through the day after my order. Get a mutually agreed delivery date minus the out of stock item. It's delivered. I go to store a week later and buy the missing component. Now need a refund for that bit as well.

Guess what. No refund on the promised date of my delivery charge.. ! And NOBODY answering the phones at all today.

Ikea are shit.

SoleSource Sun 28-Oct-12 11:27:44

Your one experience is shit.
I love Ikea as I can afford the cheap tatt.
YABU

shattereddreams Sun 28-Oct-12 11:31:04

<wails> Nooooooo

Toughasoldboots Sun 28-Oct-12 11:32:06

I returned a chair to them on the same day as I bought it because it was broken. That was fine, they refunded immediately.
They refused to refund the chair cover because it wasn't faulty.

It's not much good without the chair though is it?
I ended up having to send a letter before action for county court before they refunded it.

I am seriously off Ikea. Charge them for your time OP. If you send a letter stating what you charges are and that you will be claiming from now on, you can do that.

trixie123 Sun 28-Oct-12 11:34:19

I totally understand your frustrtaion with this sort of situation but if you'd said Argos instead of Ikea I would wholeheartedly agree. I actually quite rate Ikea's furniture as being much more solidly put together than some flat pack, but I've never ordered anything that had to be delivered.

sausagesandwich34 Sun 28-Oct-12 11:35:17

I agree they are shite

went to buy a bed, not in the main warehouse, had to go to the collection warehouse round the back

paid, told to go round, 15 minute wait to collect -no problem (had a hot dog and went slowly round)

got to the collection warehouse -3 hour wait!!!

for a bed ffs!

Toughasoldboots Sun 28-Oct-12 11:36:20

But I do like their adverts...

waitingimpatiently Sun 28-Oct-12 11:38:24

What Ikea do you use?! Our Ikea bends over backwards to accommodate every whim customers can come up with. My DH works there and apparently their store manager has just come up with a 'just say yes' policy where if someone brings something back for whatever reason, they say 'yes' (much to the annoyance of DH)
On a different note, always scan your Ikea family card. You get insurance if you break your purchase on the way home or build error insurance (if you're daft enough not to follow the instructions)

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 28-Oct-12 11:41:21

No idea what has happened with IKEA lately.Years ago before the online shopping started I bought a 3 seat sofa and armchair.
Then later a huge dining room table and 6 chairs.
I picked them up in the Self Serve and wheeled them round to the delivery desk where they gave you a date (it was always 1-2 days later, you got no other choice) but they were reliable. (IIRC they were a private company sub-contracted to IKEA)

Then when they did online I bought a sofa bed and it arrived very quickly.

I just looked for a sideboard and the delivery was £35.
Umm- no. I'll look elsewhere.

Gluebingham Sun 28-Oct-12 11:41:55

They suck. Ordered a bed and other bedroom stuff for PFB, get to payment page, they take the money and estimate delivery on oct 20th. After order confirmation got an email saying oct 30th. A full 10 days later but no reduction in the extortionate delivery charge.

MousyMouse Sun 28-Oct-12 11:45:19

I love Ikea, not all of it, mind, but they have a lot of good quality beautiful stuff.
so far they have been great with refunds and replacements (recently moved house, so had to go there a lot.
we usually have a look at other places as well, but often end up with ikea as the other affordable options are often shit (looking at you argos)

MousyMouse Sun 28-Oct-12 11:47:36

you are all doing it wrong wrt delivery.
you need to rent a van or book a mini cab white van to get stuff home. much cheaper than the delivery charge.

waitingimpatiently Sun 28-Oct-12 11:48:54

Also, Ikea do not deliver, its a separate company...

Toughasoldboots Sun 28-Oct-12 11:52:30

Ikea contract them though, so are ultimately responsible. They need to use a different delivery company if customers are having to lose days off work and ultimately money.

TheCrackFox Sun 28-Oct-12 11:54:20

I like their products but their customer service is dire.

We paid for a wardrobe in their main store (even got an assistant to check the stock availability on the computer) but had to pick the wardrobe up from the ware house. One hour later we were told that the wardrobe wasn't in stock and that we would have to go back to the main store to get the refund. They don't seem to know their arse from their elbow.

Startailoforangeandgold Sun 28-Oct-12 11:54:47

YANBU to start a thread saying their customer service can be crap.
Remembers lots of phone calls before getting a lovely lady who said "this is ridiculous the computer says you have rang 4 times to fix something that will take me 2 minutes".

And it did, missing bits turned up two days later.

TheCrackFox Sun 28-Oct-12 11:56:57

Oh, oh and while I am in the middle of a rant why the he'll can't I order online? I live in Edinburgh not some remote Hebridean island.

Startailoforangeandgold Sun 28-Oct-12 11:59:14

There products definitely are not shit. IKEA stuff has way out lived ARGOs, Home base etcs cheep furniture.

All of which has been glued back together or broken up for spares.

LeeCoakley Sun 28-Oct-12 11:59:49

My own bad memories of Thurrock Ikea are fading. (Imagine 2001 - 3 young children, 2 hour wait at pick-up point with 50+ other people, kids screaming, people shouting and swearing, store closed and lights turned off while we were still queuing although free hotdogs were handed out (plus point). I now have happy memories of my children pretending they lived in the room settings, eating meatballs, scoffing mini Daim bars on the way home unable to move because shelves of a Billy bookcase were pinning them down. Happy times!

Haahoostory Sun 28-Oct-12 12:19:15

Had the most stressful afternoon in lakeside ikea. Ordered a kingsize mattress after much confusion and waiting to be served, which I had to go down to the warehouse to collect. There, the member of staff I asked politely to help me load the massive, heavy thing on to the trolley, kindly informed me that the reason ikea is so cheap is that the staff are not paid to help customers in this way. Luckily a nice man overheard and helped me lift it, otherwise I would have broken every nail and possibly my back as well. Had to then push the trolley with heavy cumbersome mattress on it all the way to the pay desk, and from there to the delivery desk, where they charged me a fortune for home delivery. Making it not at cheap at all. When I finally emerged into the sunlight I was shaking with the stress of it all, and on arriving at my sisters (now famously) said 'I need an alcohol', as I couldn't even think of the right words to use to ask for a large glass of wine.

akaemmafrost Sun 28-Oct-12 12:22:04

I love Ikea. I especially love their new advert it's brilliant playing with my friends.

SirSugar Sun 28-Oct-12 12:24:45

Will only go there for the food now. Went to a John Lewis Home just before my last visit, bought some things there then went to IKEA - had to go back to John Lewis as I realised how cheap and nasty everything is.

Example, curtains in JL fully lined and hemmed in good fabric £90, same sized curtains in IKEA unlined and I have to hem the fuckers £55. IKEA is false economy.......

And, all their furniture has a a self destruct date of about 2 years

Dawndonna Sun 28-Oct-12 12:26:53

I like the products. The delivery is consistently shit. I have never yet known them stick to a delivery time.

waitingimpatiently Sun 28-Oct-12 12:27:47

Haahoostory that is disgusting!! They are that cheap because they aren't paid to help customers like that?! That is the biggest load of bullpoo I have ever heard!

LunaticFringe Sun 28-Oct-12 12:41:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now