Talk

Advanced search

To consider quitting my job?

(10 Posts)
slatternlymother Sun 28-Oct-12 10:57:03

I am in the Navy, and today I am setting off for a 3 week course to guarantee my promotion.

DS is 2 and I've never been away, and won't have to because DH serves as well and they can only send one parent away at a time. He is going away for 4 months in total next year.

TBH, the money is really good. But that's not everything, is it? I'm tired of the bullshit factor, tired of constantly having to 'prove' myself against a massively male dominated workforce.

I was in tears and vomiting last night because I was so nervous and upset about this course.

This can't be right. I want to hand in my notice, and go. But the money is good, and ensures comfort. On the other hand, money isn't everything.

Help me?

pinkyp Sun 28-Oct-12 11:00:02

If the money is the only thing to stay for and you can survive/manage ok without it I'd quit. You could always get another everyday job to bring in some extra cash. What did your dh think?

Lorelilee Sun 28-Oct-12 11:01:58

NO job is worth making yourself ill over. If you can survive on one wage, then I really think it's a no-brainer. Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

slatternlymother Sun 28-Oct-12 11:08:55

DH is considering leaving too, to a better job. I can't do this anymore, I'm laid on the sofa with stomach cramps. This is so stupid.

slatternlymother Sun 28-Oct-12 11:12:08

I think I'd just feel guilty, you know? We both earn £32,000 a year, so whilst it's a good wage, I don't think it's irreplaceable.

TidyDancer Sun 28-Oct-12 11:22:05

Well if it was affecting me the way you'd describe, I'd be out of there in a flash.

Honestly, unless quitting means you will go without food, just get out. Nothing is worth making yourself ill for.

slatternlymother Sun 28-Oct-12 11:30:02

No, it will not make us homeless.

I couldn't do this promotion course earlier in the year because I required treatment for CIN3 (pre cancerous changes in the cervix) and they took my promotion off me and dropped my pay band by over £500pcm. Doing this course means I get that back, but the stress has been horrific.

You don't say what sort of work you do, but £32k is a fairly achievable salary if its highly skilled/professional type of role....

You have 4 options as I see it

1 quit and then look for work - if its affecting you do badly, then might be best?

2 look for work then switch - sorry font know what sort of notice etc you have to give ..... If that makes it harder to get a new job first?

3 quit and be at home for a while - if you can afford it, you might enjoy time with DC

4 carry on as you are

Meant to add.... Talk it over with your DP but remember it is your decision in the end tho....

slatternlymother Sun 28-Oct-12 11:33:25

I do need to give 12 months notice, but there are circumstances where you can get early release, but this is assessed on a case by case basis.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now