Talk

Advanced search

to make fairy cakes a significant part of my teenage DSs diets?

(14 Posts)
sleepingdogs Sun 28-Oct-12 08:49:59

This is not as silly as the title implies.

Teenage DSs - fit, healthy, sporty boys - are always starving when they come home from school/sports/anywhere - so everyday I make a big batch of fairy cakes (I vary the flavours - cherry, chocolate, berries etc) and they grab a handful as they walk in (and at other times too).

I do feed them lots of hearty 'cooked from scratch' meals too, but they're teenagers so dip into the cake tin at other times of the day as well.

I thought this was working well (and I've certainly had no complaints from my DSs) but recently a 'friend' commented at how "unhealthy" this was for my DSs and couldn't I do better?! confused

AIBU?

MrsKeithRichards Sun 28-Oct-12 08:52:16

As long as it's cakes instead of mars bars, biscuits, sweets and other goodies and not on top of I don't see the issue.

Whathashappenedtomyboobs Sun 28-Oct-12 08:56:00

stock up the fruit bowl, make flap jacks, bread sticks and dips...

Cakes are fine but not all the time

Whatdoiknowanyway Sun 28-Oct-12 08:56:14

I had the carbs cupboard full of cakes, buns, cereal bars for when my teenage girls came back from school/sports/anywhere feeling hungry. I assume boys can ony be worse for needing vast quantities of food. Teenagers need a lot of fuel. I did have full fruit bowls too and lots of yoghurt and cheese in the fridge, plus the hearty, cooked from scratch meals you mention. So long as they're getting plenty of fruit and veg too I don't see the problem.

CuttedUpPear Sun 28-Oct-12 09:00:02

I applaud you OP, not only for your dedication to keeping these boys fed but for your appropriate use of the term fairy cakes.
Well done.

<no C word here>

MrsKeithRichards Sun 28-Oct-12 09:00:59

Yes to fairy cakes because that's what they are!!

LCarbury Sun 28-Oct-12 09:05:02

You sound like a lovely mum! However, I'd suggest varying it not so much from a dietary point of view as an independence thing. As teenagers my DBs and I made ourselves a lot of peanut butter toast, eggy bread, cinnamon toast after school, they are old enough to do this.

LaLaGabby Sun 28-Oct-12 09:05:06

YANBU.

ChunkyMonkeyMother Sun 28-Oct-12 09:08:33

Home made fairy cakes every day?

Do you have room for a fat little one?

I'm practically house trained now and everything I'm not

sleepingdogs Sun 28-Oct-12 09:10:49

Thanks for the support MNs - don't feel so bad now.

And thanks for the other ideas - maybe DSs cannot live by fairy cakes alone grin

Flisspaps Sun 28-Oct-12 09:16:28

How are flapjacks (full of butter and golden syrup - sugar) any better than fairy cakes with (egg, flour, butter and sugar) fruit in?

BitOutOfPractice Sun 28-Oct-12 09:19:16

Flap jacks have oats in?

I want to live at your house OP

SirBoobAlot Sun 28-Oct-12 09:23:24

Cake every day does seem a bit OTT. Can I come and stay with you? grin

Your "friend" sounds rude.

BitOutOfPractice Sun 28-Oct-12 09:26:56

Just to add that my dad was a type 1 diabetic and my Mom's home made fairy cakes were a massive part of my childhood. My dad had to have regular snacks between meals to regulate his sugar levels. He would often have a fairy cake as a. It wasn't too high in sugar and b. it had a predictable amount of sugar in (unlike shop bought stuff)

The smell of fairy cakes is a very happy smell of my childhood grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now