Talk

Advanced search

To ask how to get an oil stain out of a granite worktop - urgent!

(11 Posts)
FreckledLeopard Sat 27-Oct-12 23:55:05

Am moving house on Monday and am cleaning current house in a frenzy (it's rented) to try to ensure that I get most of my deposit back.

Problem - the granite kitchen counter has some oil stains on it that I cannot shift. I've tried mixing flour and bleach into a putty, putting it on stain, covering in cling film and leaving it overnight - made no difference. Same concept tried but with dishwasher liquitab liquid (fairy) - again, nothing. I've heard that nail varnish remover could work?

Please - there must be someone with a miracle oil-stain removing solution that will shift stains before Monday?!

MrsCantSayAnything Sat 27-Oct-12 23:57:54

Pure acetone. Not nail varnish remover...

sausagesandwich34 Sat 27-Oct-12 23:58:38

baby powder worked into the stain

put it on dry and just keep moving it over the stain

MrsCantSayAnything Sat 27-Oct-12 23:59:22

Tutorial here

FreckledLeopard Sat 27-Oct-12 23:59:54

Thank you....where on earth can I buy pure acetone on a Sunday?!

musicalendorphins Sun 28-Oct-12 00:01:30

www.finishing.com/113/03.shtml

MrsCantSayAnything Sun 28-Oct-12 00:02:46

Go on Facebook....put out a cry for help...someone will have some in the shed/cupboard.

Otherwise..apparently chemists sell it. Google for emergency chemists in the area...some are open on Sundays or go to Sainsbury's or Tescos...they have chemists.

Jackstini Sun 28-Oct-12 00:03:33

Freckled - Boots or most pharmacies will sell 100% acetone.
False nail remover is next best thing - sold in Asda & Tesco if they are nearby.

FreckledLeopard Sun 28-Oct-12 00:08:42

Perfect! There's a tesco pharmacy so will get some tomorrow! Thank you!!

MrsCantSayAnything Sun 28-Oct-12 00:16:36

Report back if you can! I used to write for a stone magazine (don't ask...there ARE such things) and this was something that came up a lot.

FreckledLeopard Sun 28-Oct-12 00:20:02

Will do! A stone magazine?! Not Rolling Stone grin. So many questions forming in my mind.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now