Talk

Advanced search

Litter?

(14 Posts)
Lucie99 Sat 27-Oct-12 22:01:21

More of a was IBU rather than an AIBU? Me, DH and DS were leaving a shopping centre this evening. I was pushing DS in his buggy and we were approaching the lift to the car park. A family of two adults and three children were before us and the son, aged about 12/13 dropped some sweet wrappers as he entered the lift (his parents had already entered and he was the last of their family).
Without thinking I immediately said "excuse me you've dropped your rubbish" and the boy went bright red and stepped outside the lift to pick it up (it was clear that he was embarrassed) and he said "sorry" as he went to pick it up. Might I add that he had dropped it deliberately not by accident like as if he had pulled his hand from his pocket.
In the lift his mother asked him where he had got the sweets from and he said it was old rubbish. Nothing more was said but as we exited the lift and we walked away the father said "some people thing they're so clever, he's a child". His attitude and tone was really rude and it was clear he was having a dig at me.
Was IBU to say something to the boy or should I have just ignored his litter dropping ways? If it had been my son and someone had said something I would have thanked them and probably laughed at my son's embarrassment and said something along the lines that this would be a lesson he won't forget in a hurry. What example was the father setting for his children? I would add (just to set the scene) that the family were all well dressed and they got into a 4x4 in the car park.

MrsCantSayAnything Sat 27-Oct-12 22:10:40

YWNBU "A child" my arse!

At 13 he knows better hence his red face.

kinkyfuckery Sat 27-Oct-12 22:15:36

"He's a child" Yes, a child who should know not to drop his fucking litter on the ground/floor!

Kalisi Sat 27-Oct-12 22:15:38

I think you know full well that YWDNBU! Unfortunately the Father's attitude is a dead giveaway as to why the boy thought ( and probably still thinks) that it is acceptable. Sigh.

lucyellenmum Sat 27-Oct-12 22:20:02

YANBU, you didnt tell him off!!

However, when i read your thread title i thought first - litter of puppies? Cat litter? im tired smile

austenozzy Sat 27-Oct-12 22:21:06

Dad and kid were U - you were spot on. I'd have done the same, and probably would've said something to the dad too if he'd been a snarky twat towards me.

He may be a child, but he's a teenager that should (and clearly does) know better. He just thought he could get away with it and was caught out.

AgentZigzag Sat 27-Oct-12 22:26:49

I've said something to a teenager before and they picked up all the crap they'd dropped.

You've got to try to predict how it's going to play out though, a couple of lasses on their way home from school might have a different outcome to twenty or so on the lash in the park.

But you didn't do anything wrong, and the dad was just having a parting shot. If he was that fussed he'd have said something while you were in the lift.

He was just a big girls blouse and didn't dare say it to your face.

Toughasoldboots Sat 27-Oct-12 22:31:05

I remember charging like a bulk across the park a couple of years ago after some drunk teenagers who had carefully piled up their rubbish in the middle of the grass.

The red mist took over and I looked like a lunatic which was good. They were scared.

OP, good for you, we have to keep on patrol grin

Toughasoldboots Sat 27-Oct-12 22:31:35

*bull, but I am quite bulky

LadyEvilBeagle Sat 27-Oct-12 22:36:24

I loathe litter, it's my major pet hate.
My Handbag is full of rubbish for whenever I'm out and nowhere near a bin and ds17 has been taught from an early age not to do it.
But...I do feel sorry for the lad in the lift, you say he went bright red so he was obviously embarrassed in front of a lot of people.
I don't think I could have done that.

hiddenhome Sat 27-Oct-12 22:49:07

Mine were both trained from toddlerhood never to drop litter. You did the right thing by challenging them. It's a shame that the father didn't back you up though. I hate litter.

EndoplasmicReticulum Sat 27-Oct-12 22:54:01

My mum picks up other people's litter and hands it back to them, saying "excuse me, you dropped this". She has not had any abuse yet. If you ever see my children dropping litter you're welcome to tell them off, it would mean I hadn't noticed.

toofattorun Sat 27-Oct-12 23:05:25

I reported a bus driver for throwing his takeaway boxes out of the window. I also screamed at him for refusing to pick it up. called him a fucking cunt

YWNBU. Good on you for saying something.

Inadeeptrance Sat 27-Oct-12 23:14:37

The local kids hate me, I get unreasonably outraged by blatant litter dropping and make them all go round picking it back up! grin

YWNBU!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now