Talk

Advanced search

Ill and ranting

(16 Posts)
fosterdream Sat 27-Oct-12 21:55:27

I'be just spent 3 hours at a drop in clinic because I thought I'd broken my ribs. I Had the flu 10 day's ago and 3 days ago I was having yet another horrid coughing fit and the following day all my ribs hurt, next day just my left side. I couldn't sleep last night I was in so much pain.

So I called my doctors up and stupid receptionist said I'd be fine and if I was still in pain on Monday to call then. Well I'd had enough of her many problems in past with her said she wasn't a doctor or nurse and hung up on her. Went to the drop in clinic after a 3 hours wait I was seen by a nurse who said I'd torn a muscle under my ribs gave me so called strong painkillers 30/500mg co-codamol. Well they haven't worked taken a tiny amount of pain away I'm still in pain when I take a deep breath and god help me when I cough! I'm trying to relax and forget about today I'm just rather angry at myself for been so great full for the strong painkillers

And a poor child had the flu next to me waited for over an hour to be seen made me even more angry as people on illegal drugs were ushered away to be seen straight away! One was heavily pregnant poor unborn child!!!

Needed to rant my DH has heard enough screams from me coughing so I shall share my rant on MN. I shall call the clinic up tomorrow and see if I can get stronger painkillers because I can't take it any more I have a high pain freehold so not used to this pain :'(

WorraLiberty Sat 27-Oct-12 22:02:56

What else was the 'stupid' receptionist supposed to do if there were no appointments available?

You went to the drop-in clinic as you're supposed to if you can't have an appointment with your Doc and got your painkillers.

The 'people on illegal drugs' being ushered in straight away would probably have been seeing a drug advisor who would not be able to treat the child with flu anyway....and waiting an hour is pretty acceptable considering you can wait that long even with an appointment.

Sorry you're in pain and I wish you better but YABU all the same.

Hippymum89 Sat 27-Oct-12 22:08:33

There's not a lot else they can give you if 30/500s aren't strong enough.
Even if your ribs are broken, there is no treatment (unless you have punctured a lung) except rest and anagesia. You're gonna have to suck it up I'm afraid grin
Get well soon and stop worrying about everyone else wink

Sirzy Sat 27-Oct-12 22:16:15

Yet again worra is the voice of sense!

Lots of different services tend to run out of the drop in centres so it's practically impossible to guess any sort of "pecking order"

Hope you feel better soon

fosterdream Sat 27-Oct-12 22:18:21

They were appointments at the doctors though but as she said she was saving them for people who can't come in on a weekday.

He checked for Punctured lungs luckily I don't have one. I'm just so fed up of been ill and been in pain rather sad that I can't get stronger painkillers I can't lay down, take a normal breath or move about.

Numberlock Sat 27-Oct-12 22:18:21

Curious how you knew they were drug addicts - did they all tell you that?

WorraLiberty Sat 27-Oct-12 22:22:54

Sirzy it must be the wine blush wine

I know it doesn't feel like it OP but you were lucky to get the painkillers after 3 hours. I suspect you would have waited much longer in A&E.

I think I would have asked her to ring me back if any of the saved appointments weren't taken up.

Having said that, the weekend appointments at my GP's surgery are for private patients only.

fosterdream Sat 27-Oct-12 22:41:19

I'm sorry I've just been so ill with the flu, headaches, coughing, general aches and lack of sleep to the point were I have just broken down crying. I needed a rant didn't know how unreasonable I was been

WorraLiberty Sat 27-Oct-12 22:46:12

Well no fluffy kittens were harmed during the making of your rant grin

Feel better soon thanks

ddubsgirl Sat 27-Oct-12 22:49:39

i doubt you have broken ribs,sounds more like pulled muscles around the rib cage from all the coughing,dont know if it helps but i find the neruomol from nerofen are really good.

Kethryveris Sat 27-Oct-12 22:51:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

butterflyroom Sat 27-Oct-12 23:51:14

Co codamol is NOT the strongest painkiller. Can buy it for a few quid over the counter. You could have been given more appropriate and effective meds. Poor you. Feel for you x

By the way - at my doctors, if it's an emergency or you are distressed they always get you in somehow as there is a triage system. A receptionist shouldn't be diagnosing.

YANBU.

TantrumsIsTheREALPumpkinKiller Sat 27-Oct-12 23:56:16

What worra said.

worra I wish I were you. You are so wise.

IllageVidiot Sun 28-Oct-12 01:04:14

Butterflyroom - the otc co-codamol is either 8/500mg or 12/500mg bit of a difference to 30/500 just like other POM. Opiates, co-codamol in particular are good for moderate pain just like the NSAID diclofenac - diclofenac is unlikely to be more useful for a torn intercostal muscle than combination opiate and ibuprofen usage.
It is a torn muscle - stronger painkillers are not really indicated, it's going to hurt when you move it whatever you take unless they sedate you tbh.
You feel sucky and sore and that's horrible but yabu.
Hopefully it heals nice and quickly once your cough clears up.

GrumpyOldWomanToo Sun 28-Oct-12 01:39:02

I once tore the intercostal muscles of my chest... they are the muscles that expand your chest cavity when you breathe. Felt like my chest was on fire, hurt to do anything, especially breathe.

Nothing cure, except pain killers and time.

CouthyMowEatingBraiiiiinz Sun 28-Oct-12 01:21:25

Um, I think you ought to go to A&E, actually. Your description sounds just like when I had pneumonia and my lung had partially collapsed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now