Talk

Advanced search

To be shocked that carmoisine is still allowed in this country?

(18 Posts)
Mybabyseyes Sat 27-Oct-12 21:04:09

Bought some black grape soda in Sainsburys. Was surprised to see it has a health warning on the back. 'Known to cause hyperactivity in children. May also cause symptoms of general allergic reaction (skin swelling, breathing difficulties, hives). Carmoisine may also cause cancer and tumors based on animal studies'. It is found in soda but more commonly in jams, preserves & jellies. It is banned in US, Japan & other European countries. This should be banned in England. I am normally really careful with the usual like Aspartame.
How can something like this be allowed?
www.ukfoodguide.net/e122.htm

Yama Sat 27-Oct-12 21:06:21

When you say it should be banned in England, do you mean Britain. Or is it good enough for us the rest of us Brits?

VirginiaDare Sat 27-Oct-12 21:07:38

Don't drink it then <shrug>

Yama Sat 27-Oct-12 21:07:38

Oh, and yes it should be banned. However, as it comes with a health warning, it is easy to avoid.

LadyEvilBeagle Sat 27-Oct-12 21:07:59

The Scots are tough Yama.
We can take it grin.

mamij Sat 27-Oct-12 21:09:03

Am surprised too. But will be avoiding in the future!

Mybabyseyes Sat 27-Oct-12 21:11:49

yes you are right. I made the mistake of buying it thinking its sainsburys, they're normally quite good. I do mean Britain Yama sorry.

Yama Sat 27-Oct-12 21:16:31

No, I'm sorry - I was being a dick for the sake of it.

I generally think all fizzy juice is the work of the devil so wouldn't pick up black grape soda.

And yes, LadyBeagle - us Scots are hard as nails.

HoneyDragon Sat 27-Oct-12 21:19:33

You speak from the country that brought us Iron Bru grin

Yama Sat 27-Oct-12 21:22:20

Ahem Irn Bru.

HoneyDragon Sat 27-Oct-12 21:24:38

<<flagellates self with thistle>>

Bleddy auto correct

AWomanCalledHorse Sat 27-Oct-12 21:24:44

By black grape soda you mean the lucious KA black grape don't you? sad How can something that tastes so tooth rottingly sugary be bad for you?!

Yanbu, if it's bad enough for the USA to ban...

FredFredGeorge Sat 27-Oct-12 22:47:22

It's not within the UK's power to ban it. Food additives are a European issue.

sashh Sun 28-Oct-12 01:17:40

Or you could read what the EU says
www.efsa.europa.eu/en/efsajournal/pub/1332.htm

OP it didn't really have a health warning did it? Just a list of ingredients. And is it really banned in those countries because the EU doesn't think it is.

InSPsFanjoNoOneHearsYouScream Sun 28-Oct-12 01:23:32

I never read ingredients so I've probably ingested a load of shit. Still here though grin

<most helpful post ever>

meditrina Sun 28-Oct-12 03:00:35

I think OP may have misquoted the warning, or is referring to a US imported product not a Sainsburys one. For an EU product would contain the E-number and would not state any of the azo colourings "cause" hyperactivity as the 2007 Southampton study supported only a possible link to perceived increased hyperactivity. That led to advice to parents who suspected a food link to avoid the Southampton six, but not a labelling requirement worded to indicate a level of scientific proof beyond any published study.

None of the Southampton six is banned in EU.

Mybabyseyes Sun 28-Oct-12 11:57:20

It has a health warning printed under the ingredients. Maybe it is imported?

PerfectStranger74 Sun 28-Oct-12 15:32:59

Irn bru has the same sort of warning on its bottles. In the TINIEST text in the world!
I'm amazed they can still sell it when it's known to cause these side effects

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now