Talk

Advanced search

To be cross at films being shown during the day that are not PG or less rating?

(46 Posts)
Bizarrelife Sat 27-Oct-12 20:35:38

My 7 year old was watching a film this afternoon on Watch channel (so freeview channel not movie channel) that my elder child pointed out to me was a 12 rating as they have the DVD upstairs in their bedroom.

As soon as it was pointed out my youngest apologised and turned to a children's channel.

My dh says that if its during the day they can watch it as it must be family viewing.

Admittadely if we didn't have dvd then I wouldn't know rating and it doesn't say it anywhere on the TV.

So if it is before watershed, should I let my dc watch the film as dh says?

Or AIBU to think tv companies shouldn't show 12 or higher ratings during the day?

germyrabbit Sat 27-Oct-12 20:37:26

you need to set parental controls, alot of adults want to watch higher cert films during the day and to be honest a 12 isn't exactly texas chainsaw content is it

Sirzy Sat 27-Oct-12 20:39:02

Its up to parents to monitor what children watch. Plenty of people over the age of 12 want to watch TV during the day to.

Bizarrelife Sat 27-Oct-12 20:39:34

It would help like SKY do with their movies, and DVDs do if they gave the rating of it on the blurb on the tv guide and/or at the start of the film.

OddBoots Sat 27-Oct-12 20:42:42

I don't know but I have always assumed that films are edited to make them suitable if they are on during the day, I may well be wrong though.

Bunbaker Sat 27-Oct-12 20:47:16

I think it states in the Radio Times what certificate films are.

VirginiaDare Sat 27-Oct-12 20:52:18

Yabu. It's your responsibility to monitor what your children watch, not the schedulers. There are lots of things on during the day that are not suitable for children, otherwise you would have wall to wall cartoons.

Bizarrelife Sat 27-Oct-12 20:54:16

Thanks for Radio Times tip, just checked it online, and yes that shows all film ratings for all channels.

Plus for this afternoon's film it shows it's been edited for language and violence for TV.

skaen Sat 27-Oct-12 20:56:54

Films are pretty heavily edited to make them suitable for the daytime. I recently thought about buying The Goonies as a film my 8 yo nephew might enjoy and was shocked to see it was a 12, especially as the problem was 1 scene which I couldn't remember.

GhostShip Sat 27-Oct-12 21:20:36

YABU

We pay our tv license too, and money for sky. That means we don't just want to see tv tailored for children. Its up to you, as others have said, to monitor their viewing.

Catsmamma Sat 27-Oct-12 21:23:38

so they knew it was a 12 AND have the dvd......not sure what the issue is here, presuming they have seen the dvd as they have it in their bedroom

Take the tv out of their room would be my advice.

Witchety Sat 27-Oct-12 21:30:58

Life does not revolve around children....try supervising your children's tv time maybe?

AbbyRue Sat 27-Oct-12 21:46:06

I was also naive in thinking if its on during the day then it must be ok but that's not the case! C.S.I NY is on during the day and it can be gory so yes I agree with everyone who's saying its your responsibility to endure your kids are watching age appropriate programmes.

Saying that, there's loads of debt management adverts on kids channels confused I know they want to capture parents attention but still hmm

Mrsjay Sat 27-Oct-12 21:51:56

it would have been censored for during the day i would imagine what film was it anyway

Bizarrelife Sat 27-Oct-12 21:57:18

Older child has dvd in their bedroom, younger one is fully aware of ratings on films, but doesn't know all the films in their sibling's bedroom. Hence why as soon as the older one pointed out it was a 12 they turned over.

But dh said if it's on during the day it's already been vetted by the tv regulators so no issue.

I responded obviously not if 12 film (wasn't aware of editing) is being shown, and did point out to dh that he needed to keep an eye as to what was on the TV.

This is a regular argument in our house between dh and I - because dh will have films on, that I walk in on and don't think are appropriate for the younger child, and dh always responds if it's on during the day it's suitable. But if no ratings are displayed it's a hard argument to win.

But now I know its on the RT website that will now be my friend!

Bizarrelife Sat 27-Oct-12 21:57:41

Mars Attack was the film.

Mrsjay Sat 27-Oct-12 21:59:53

OH i havnt seen that in years I am sure it would have been cut a bit I do agree with you though they shouldnt put these films on during the day ,

Birdsgottafly Sat 27-Oct-12 22:01:54

I agree that it is the job of the parents to supervise their children, there is stuff shown on the News that children shouldn't see.

I have Sky and there is a horror channel, which i love, i would be complaining if everything shown during the day was suitable for children (who should be in school during the day 5 days a week).

Bizarrelife Sat 27-Oct-12 22:13:00

But Birds the horror channel is pin protected for films starting before 9pm.

I'm not saying it can't be shown on pin protected, but on standard channels I don't believe it should be shown.

News you know what your getting.

Interesting the ITC state

"No film rated �15� by the British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) may normally be shown before 9pm and no �18� rated film before 10pm"

But no guidance on when 12 can be shown.

ddubsgirl Sat 27-Oct-12 22:16:37

horror channel isnt pin protected,its just a normal channel

Bizarrelife Sat 27-Oct-12 22:22:06

Oh my mistake

That's what happens when you trust wikipedia

But having looked at their listing

www.horrorchannel.co.uk/tv_guide.php?date=2012:10:28&jump=1§ion=day

They only show PG films during the day and save the "horror" until the evening.

Bizarrelife Sat 27-Oct-12 22:23:30

My mistake "not" was missed out on first reading

Copied from Wikipedia
However, channels that are dedicated to airing adult content such as Horror Channel may be allowed to start 18-rated content at 21:00 without PIN protection.

But still following the watershed.

yousankmybattleship Sat 27-Oct-12 22:25:17

YABU. It is your responsibility to monitor what your children watch.

GhostShip Sat 27-Oct-12 22:26:07

Well OP, the thing is not everyone has children. And we expect to be able to enjoy TV smile

Mrsjay Sat 27-Oct-12 22:26:55

Birds YABU to watch the horror channel it is just awful dd had me watching jaws 7 or somethinglast saturday it was just awful grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now