Talk

Advanced search

to think that the proponent of "No Representation without Taxation" I met today had not thought it through?

(10 Posts)
TalkinPeace2 Sat 27-Oct-12 15:50:49

I had mentioned that I suffer Taxation without Representation
he started ranting about people who do not pay taxes voting on legislation

but thinking about it, maybe he's not thought through who would be excluded from voting
or what the definition of 'taxation' should include ....

blackeyedsusan Sat 27-Oct-12 15:59:17

has he not heard of VAT?

TalkinPeace2 Sat 27-Oct-12 16:06:55

Love it!
He's a local politician and has debated this for months and you found the flaw in the argument in nine minutes!!

Now lets see how long it takes for people to spot the groups of people who could be stopped from voting itf it was based on income tax ....

Bilbobagginstummy Sat 27-Oct-12 16:09:38

The only people who vote on legislation are politicians. Very confused!

Is he talking about voting in elections? And wanting that to be limited to people with income tax bills over a particular amount?

TalkinPeace2 Sat 27-Oct-12 16:16:18

Bilbo
the idea has been picked up by people looking at the Romney speech - and in the USA lots of legislation is put to referendum votes, especially in California.
But yes, the man thought that those who do not pay income tax (benefit scroungers were his exact words) should not be allowed to vote.
But on that basis, nor would pensioners, housewives, the disabled etc etc etc

Bilbobagginstummy Sat 27-Oct-12 16:18:31

That's how it was in the Victorian age - until universal (i.e. all men(!)) suffrage.

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 27-Oct-12 16:18:40

I live in Canada and have paid massive amounts of tax: income; HST; PST etc but can't vote because I am not a citizen. Very annoying.

TalkinPeace2 Sat 27-Oct-12 16:25:26

Whereas this chap was saying that you WOULD get the vote, but those who do not earn enough to pay income tax would not ....

I'm currently getting my UK citizenship (at a cost of over £1000) - then I'll have the vote in the UK ...

ratspeaker Sat 27-Oct-12 16:27:06

Vehicle excise tax, tax on fuel, tax on alcohol, tax on tobacco, council tax etc etc are still liable even if you are a part time worker, student, low paid etc etc

Bilbobagginstummy Sat 27-Oct-12 16:31:19

Exactly. About the only way to avoid paying tax is to not either earn or spend any money. Which is not that practical.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now