Talk

Advanced search

To start rationing dh' peanut butter consumption

(34 Posts)
BlingLoving Sat 27-Oct-12 14:23:29

He is getting through close to two jars a week! I buy the no sugar added stuff but two jars for one person seems excessive to me: unhealthy and expensive. Or am I being controlling?

Gumby Sat 27-Oct-12 14:24:04

is it as a snakc or as lunch or breakfast?

nickeldaisical Sat 27-Oct-12 14:24:50

it is excessive.
is he eating properly otherwise?

Wolfiefan Sat 27-Oct-12 14:26:10

Not controlling. That seems an awful amount. Is he eating it by the spoonful? It's very high cal. Not a good choice for everyday.

Fluffanstuff Sat 27-Oct-12 14:28:17

Argh mine does the same ! I dont think its unreasonable its high in fat , salt and sometimes sugar.
Does he have an active job ? If no I would ration it if yes then perhaps be less worried ,but it is expensive !

squishyotter Sat 27-Oct-12 14:28:25

If it's smooth peanut butter then Yanbu

On the other hand, if its crunchy peanut butter, YABVVVVVVVU and need to buy him more jars tbh.

Its so delicious smile

Goldenjubilee10 Sat 27-Oct-12 14:33:14

YABU it would be controlling to try to restrict his intake. You could try discussing it with him though.

JoanBias Sat 27-Oct-12 14:36:44

It's basically liquid fat

Mrsjay Sat 27-Oct-12 14:37:17

yabu he is a grown up although how is he getting through so much is he eating it by the spoonful confused you could always not buy it and let him buy his own

Ohsiena Sat 27-Oct-12 14:40:00

He is an adult he can eat what he chooses, he is not one of your children.

It is a lot though so you could discuss your concerns and suggest he moderates it.

MrsCantSayAnything Sat 27-Oct-12 14:42:04

if he needs it he can buy it. Yanbu

EuroShagmore Sat 27-Oct-12 14:45:35

YABU to try to control what a grown adult eats. However, he is eating a lot of a delicious but very high fat food.

MousyMouse Sat 27-Oct-12 14:49:21

yabu
I'm not going to reveal how many jars of nutella my dh goes through...

Mrsjay Sat 27-Oct-12 14:51:45

I eat too many packets of crisps a week blush my dh likes a biscuit or 6 shock I think he would laugh at me if i said Oh i think you have had enough,

Doshusallie Sat 27-Oct-12 14:51:50

Fat is good Joan.

It's also high in carbs though so yanbu.

anastaisia Sat 27-Oct-12 16:13:05

If you're buying it as family shopping but no one else is getting any because he's eating it all up so quickly it wouldn't be controlling to stop buying it IMO. And if it's too expensive to buy 2 jars a week then just buying less wouldn't be either. He can always buy some if he's missing it.

Buying it but then rationing it would be a bit weird to me though, for an adult partner.

Naoko Sat 27-Oct-12 16:17:35

You can't ration it, he's an adult, that's controlling and a little odd. However, if it's a problem financially, you'd be entirely reasonable to buy less of it, or a cheaper brand, and if he objects, invite him to make sufficient savings elsewhere to pay for it.

Or just talk to him and bring up that it's not very good for him to eat so much peanut butter....

EndoplasmicReticulum Sat 27-Oct-12 16:20:03

Buy one jar a week, when it's gone it's gone. Switch to a cheaper version. How many calories are there in a whole jar?

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 27-Oct-12 16:22:01

It's not for you to stop him but is he overweight because PB is deadly for that?

ethelb Sat 27-Oct-12 16:25:20

PB has 90 calories per tablespoon. Dietry requirements suggest you only need 1 tbsp on nuts and seeds a day. Is he over weight. If you maybe you can chat to him about it.

It's expensive too. That's nearly £5 a week on peanut butter if you are getting the naice brands.

hermioneweasley Sat 27-Oct-12 16:25:25

Is he fat?

BlingLoving Sat 27-Oct-12 16:40:16

grin

I like it now and again and it drives me mad when he finishes it do fast. Also, he is aways complaining about his weight. I do speak to him but he is addicted. But I don't want to stop buying it as ds and I have it sometimes.
It is expensive but tbh that's not really a real issue. There are other things I would cut back first.

Fluffanstuff Sat 27-Oct-12 17:33:34

Maybe get some P-B recipes ...he can get his fix without eating a whole jar lol ?

EllenParsons Sat 27-Oct-12 19:08:00

90 cal per table spoon? Bloody hell! This thread was making me think ooh I quite fancy some PB but you've put me right off now

3monkeys3 Sat 27-Oct-12 19:19:52

Mmmmmm peanut butter. We eat a jar a week between 5 of us (and I think we eat quite a lot), so 2 jars a week for one person does seem a lot. From a nutritional point of view there are worse things - it's a good source of protein and healthy fats - but that would only really apply in moderation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now