Talk

Advanced search

To wonder about this nursery..

(9 Posts)
iHaveNoIkea Fri 26-Oct-12 22:32:56

A few years ago when I was about 16 I worked as an apprentice at a nursery. It was part of a very popular 'chain' of nurseries with a good reputation.

Now I'm a mum myself, I can't help but remember some of the things that happened there and wonder if actually they shouldn't have been allowed. At the time I was young and really didn't know any better as it was my first job.

These things included:

The manager of the nursery coming into the room of children and loudly announcing to the other staff which children (by name) didn't have good enough speech for their age. The kids were ages 2-4 so old enough to understand.

A member of staff forcing a 3 year old boy into a much younger size nappy because he had had an accident in his pants - to the point where he was hysterical and had poo everywhere including his hair (the child not staff member)

Many staff members would dish out smaller portions of lunch to the children so that there would be some left for them to eat themselves when we were meant to bring our own lunch.

Apprentices were not meant to take the children to the toilet as we're not qualified although we did have crb checks of course. But a lot of the time we were ordered to by members of staff.

I can't really remember much more right now but things pop into my mind sometimes and I think 'I'd be very unhappy if that was dd' and sometimes I feel really guilty as I witnessed it happen. Am I over reacting or is that stuff really not on? And I don't suppose anything could be done now?

MrsCantSayAnything Fri 26-Oct-12 22:40:37

Good God YANBU! Get to Ofsted and report them...or even better, to the police!

Welovecouscous Fri 26-Oct-12 22:45:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

iHaveNoIkea Fri 26-Oct-12 22:52:41

Oh dear I've never said this to anyone as I wasn't sure if it was just me being paranoid.

It was a few years ago and I have no idea if the same people work there would the police or ofsted be interested?

MsVestibule Fri 26-Oct-12 22:53:14

As it happened a few years ago, I'm not sure Ofsted could take this forward.

I'm sure this sort of thing happens now in some nurseries, but Ofsted won't/can't pick up on it sad. But don't feel guilty - as a 16 year old apprentice, it would have been very difficult to challenge authority.

MsVestibule Fri 26-Oct-12 22:54:42

Having said that, I still think you should report it to Ofsted. What they choose to do with the information is up to them. If nothing else, maybe it will make you feel better?

ShiftyFades Fri 26-Oct-12 23:09:32

I'd ring Ofsted and ask for advice. Some things are dealt with by them, others by the local children's services. I had a few issues with DS's nursery a couple of years ago. I had to contact both as some of it was child safeguarding and the other part was negligence.

I hope all those staff (and manager) have all left that nursery.

Good luck OP and enjoy your LO.

DayShiftDoris Sat 27-Oct-12 19:26:17

You see... and this is going to sound so shitty but I sometimes pray for certain people to have children of their own...

Mine went to nursery that demonised him - I saw his keyworker in a park about 3 weeks after him leaving to start school and said hello as we passed. My son was lagging behind and I turned to hurry him up and spotted his keyworker saying to her friend whilst pointing at my son 'He's f*%king little sh1t'

My son was diagnosed ASD when he was 6.

A child whos in the year above my son was also diagnosed ASD aged 7 and he too had been to the same nursery and he too had demonised by the staff - I knew had heard from staff that he 'wasn't a very nice child'....

In my eyes staff who ignore it are as culpable as those who do those sorts of things.

Oh and the nursery - has an Outstanding OFSTED rating hmm

iHaveNoIkea Sat 17-Nov-12 21:20:07

Argh. I made this post ages ago but had to come back to it because I've just found out one of the guys I worked with there has been jailed for voyeurism and having indecent pictures of children. I feel so sick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now