Talk

Advanced search

to tell nursery, NO nail varnish?

(101 Posts)
Flojo1979 Fri 26-Oct-12 21:02:51

Nursery asked if I was happy to let them paint my DDs nails as one of the other girls had hers done and keeps bringing in bottles and DD had pestered them to have hers done.
I thanked them for checking with me first and told them no, I didn't want my 3 yr old to have her nails painted.
AIBU or a spoil sport? Or do u agree that its ridiculous for 3 year olds to do this?
I don't wear nail varnish myself, and the only makeup I wear is tinted moisuriser. So bright pink nails on a baby girl seems madness.

expatinscotland Fri 26-Oct-12 21:04:31

It's just a bit of fun. It never lasts on them, anyhow. My 6-year-old likes it but it always chips right off.

OhDearSpareHeadTwo Fri 26-Oct-12 21:04:42

I think you're being a spoilsport. Does it matter ?

MrsKeithRichards Fri 26-Oct-12 21:06:40

I don't think you're being a spoil sport.

catgirl1976 Fri 26-Oct-12 21:07:18

I don't think I would like it but then again it's not like a tattoo and it will come off. Plus I remember never being allowed to have "fancy" hairdos for primary school. 2 rough, stupid pigtail for me, lovely french braids for everyone else. I think I'm still scarred by it grin

MrsCurly Fri 26-Oct-12 21:07:22

I'm with you. I loathe it. I think it looks horrible and I hate my children having it done. They are much older. Nursery - that's madness!

catgirl1976 Fri 26-Oct-12 21:08:08

At least they checked I suppose.

I think I would say no despite the hair horror of my own childhood. It was, erm, character building........... smile

mcrvamp Fri 26-Oct-12 21:08:13

I don't really see the problem myself!

shrimponastick Fri 26-Oct-12 21:08:17

It's your choice.

I don't think that it looks good on children personallly, so I would also be a spoil sport.

TobyLerone Fri 26-Oct-12 21:08:43

YABU and being a huge spoilsport. What harm will it do?

Heifer Fri 26-Oct-12 21:09:24

have to be honest I admit I was the same when DD was that age. Then when she was 5 I took a chill pill and realised just how much fun it was for her, and that as long as it was removed before we went anywhere I would be judged, to school it didn't matter.

TrinityRhino Fri 26-Oct-12 21:09:51

I think your being a spoilsport but its up to you

JustFabulous Fri 26-Oct-12 21:10:22

If you don't want her nails done then you say no. Why be made to do something you don't want just because someone else has decided they think it is okay? It won't do her any harm but that isn't the point.

cece Fri 26-Oct-12 21:12:40

My DCs (girl and boys) all wore nail varnish at that age. But up to you. Personally I have no problem with it whatsoever.

EuroShagmore Fri 26-Oct-12 21:13:58

I think it's fine now and again for a bit of fun.

Flojo1979 Fri 26-Oct-12 21:14:03

Oh god catgirl my DD always wears pig tails, I think they look cute i have no sodding idea how to do French braids, please help!

Fairylea Fri 26-Oct-12 21:16:22

It's removable. Why make an issue of it? I'd be happy my dd was enjoying herself.

MissVerinder Fri 26-Oct-12 21:16:24

To be honest, I use nail polish as a no food, no fuss reward for good behaviour blush.

I had about 30 bottles last count...

catgirl1976 Fri 26-Oct-12 21:18:59

They will be nice pigtails though flojo smile - mine were shite smile

OhDearSpareHeadTwo Fri 26-Oct-12 21:23:55

It's removable. Why make an issue of it? I'd be happy my dd was enjoying herself.

This.

I cannot believe what some people get themselves exercised about

CoolaSchmoola Fri 26-Oct-12 21:26:29

I have vast amounts of nail varnish, but I wouldn't want DD to wear it at three. Plenty of time for that later IMO along with half the clothes gracing the toddler aisle in Tesco.

I'm surprised they let the other child bring it in seeing as it's full of chemicals, can be dangerous if swallowed and would ruin anything it's spilt on, not to mention it's in a glass bottle.

If the other child's mother wants to let her child have painted nails that's fair enough - but letting her cart bottles of nail varnish into nursery is just a little bit odd.

The only thing I might let DD wear is the proper children's nail "varnish" that washes off when they wash their hands. No problems with that.

HappySunflower Fri 26-Oct-12 21:27:00

Your child. Your choice. So no, you are not being unreasonable at all.
And besides, she is 3.
I am very surprised that they feel it's an appropriate thing to be doing at nursery.
What next? Makeup?

lottiegarbanzo Fri 26-Oct-12 21:37:29

I'm quite surprised at responses, I'd definitely say no, for a number of reasons.

One of those is that it's not something she's capable of doing herself but encouraging an interest means she may well try and may make a horrible, permanent mess of furniture or clothes as a result.

I see make-up of all sorts as a teenage to adult thing, unless done in a very jokey, face paint, way. I'm not sure you can do nail varnish in that way.

tinyshinyanddon Fri 26-Oct-12 21:42:44

YANBU but you are in the minority. We went to a 3 year olds birthday party last week and fingernail painting was an "activity". Pissed that some grown-up painted my almost 5-year-olds nails without asking me first. I didn't make a big deal at the time but DD and I had a discussion after where I said I did not think it was appropriate for "her age and size". DD asked if face painting (also at the party) was OK and I said, yes of course that was a much more fun thing to do. We took the polish off next day and used some "lovely lotion" on our hands to make them very soft.

Flojo1979 Fri 26-Oct-12 21:44:06

And the thought of stinky nail varnish remover that strips paint being put on a toddlers skin makes me cringe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now