Talk

Advanced search

Ro wonder why people bother posting in aibu when they've already decided that they're right?

(11 Posts)
lalaland30008 Fri 26-Oct-12 19:43:43

I'm sort of new here but have noticed over time that a lot of people start a thread asking aibu, then when a lot of people say well actually, yes you are, they start getting very defensive, giving a load more info as if to try to win their arguement, or never return to the thread, or just say well you're entitled to your opinions but I know I'm right,

If you know you're right why ask? Just find it quite amusing and wonder the mindset behind it.

BellaVita Fri 26-Oct-12 19:44:46

God knows what the mindset is...but YANBU grin

BerthaTheBogBurglar Fri 26-Oct-12 19:45:51

Well because they're sure they're right, but someone else in their life thinks they aren't. So they come on here expecting lots of people to agree with them, and bolster their opinion of their own rightness. And if it doesn't happen, they get cross.

YABU, its obvious, innit grin

ZombTEE Fri 26-Oct-12 19:47:03

Because they think they are so right how could anyone disagree?

It's what makes AIBU so much fun.

HipHopOpotomus Fri 26-Oct-12 20:04:29

I got accused of doing just this on an AIBU thread I started. I argued my case and was called out by several posters for thinking I was right and not taking all the YABU comments Into account etc etc.

But actually around 35% agreed with me grin. So the accusations were completely off the mark.

AIBU is a forum for debate. Only very rarely are the replies unanimous one way or the other.

YABU

fuzzysnout Fri 26-Oct-12 20:31:30

YABU, but I bet you think you're right don't you? Eh? Eh?

HeinousHecate Fri 26-Oct-12 20:33:32

It's because they are convinced they are right and they want page after page of agreement so they can turn to their husband and say SEE! I TOLD you so!

erm.

probably.

I speculate.

Trills Fri 26-Oct-12 20:38:15

YANBU to wonder if you are a newbie.

It's because this is very rarely "AIBU" it's more often "I don't think IABU and I want you to tell me that I am not"

HeinousHecate Fri 26-Oct-12 20:44:34

true grin And more often than that it's 'I'm not actually asking if I am unreasonable or not, I just want to chat and this is where everyone is, so I am going to start a thread that loosely fits the AIBU format and start a conversation' grin

If they made AIBU a poll only section, with replies limited to ticking the yes box or the no box - the whole section would be dead as a dodo within a week. People don't want to know whether they're unreasonable or not. They want to chat.

Ithinkitsjustme Fri 26-Oct-12 21:11:23

I guess that's aimed at me then, grin but if I thought IWBU I wouldn't have done it in the first place, and as I'm ALWAYS right it's obviously everyone who disagrees with me who is wrong! grin.

Actually I think the reason people drip feed and seem to try to convince other people that they were right in the first place is because if they leav the thread they get gyp over that and so they feel that they need to keep commenting. Well I do anyway - and I haven't seen anyone who has convinced me that I was wrong in the first place.

ChaoticismyLife Fri 26-Oct-12 21:34:35

I agree with Hecate grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now