Talk

Advanced search

To still babysit dgs with chicken pox

(21 Posts)
ledkr Fri 26-Oct-12 18:04:22

Just need a quick poll. My gs is meant to be staying tomorrow night as his mum has a weekend away booked for her birthday his dad my ds is working (a chef). I have an 20 month old dd who has never had it but was with dgs on Tuesday.
She has nobody else to do it and she is lovely and helps us loads.
I think it's ok to still do it what advice have you got?

Sirzy Fri 26-Oct-12 18:06:33

It is up to you, you know the risk that she may get it but as they have been in contact anyway she may have it already.

As long as she isn't in an "at risk" group for contracting it then I would probably agree still

ledkr Fri 26-Oct-12 18:08:23

What is the at risk group? Thanks b t w

ledkr Fri 26-Oct-12 18:11:56

Come on what do ya think

Sassybeast Fri 26-Oct-12 18:13:12

I wouldn't knowingly expose a child to an infection no.

ledkr Fri 26-Oct-12 18:14:12

Yeah that's what crossed my mind too, gosh it's hard isn't it

EdsRedeemingQualities Fri 26-Oct-12 18:14:42

Sorry I don't quite understandthe exact question, I'm a bit confused. Could you clarify a bit Ledkr?

Inneedofbrandy Fri 26-Oct-12 18:15:46

I would do it unless she is a high risk ( like no imune system and you would already know), get It over and done with while he's little.
Both mine have been exposed to chicken pox twice and still not caught it 5 and 7 so I'm resigned to them getting shingles as teens now.

ledkr Fri 26-Oct-12 18:16:11

Sorry I have agreed to babysit my grandson tomorrow but he has just come out with chicken pox my baby is 20 months and hasn't had it yet but was with him on Tuesday

Inneedofbrandy Fri 26-Oct-12 18:18:11

They are infectious way before spots come out anyway...

ledkr Fri 26-Oct-12 18:19:47

Yes that's what I thought and she has said she will do any child care if she does get it and can't go to nursery

EdsRedeemingQualities Fri 26-Oct-12 18:22:07

Oh I see, well, erm, I probably wouldn't do it. Not because it isn't good to get young - but because I'd feel responsible if she did, iyswim? It's a difficult one.

Mine had it at 8 and 4 and were both really poorly with it.

AThingInYourLife Fri 26-Oct-12 18:24:22

I would stick to the plan given she's already been exposed to the child with CP.

Pascha Fri 26-Oct-12 18:24:58

The infectious period lasts from about three days before the rash appears until all the blisters have formed scabs.
The incubation period between being infected with chickenpox until the disease breaks out and symptoms appear is 10 to 20 days.

from Netdoctor

So if your GS's rash came out today he would have been infectious since about tuesday, its borderline TBH. Your son may already have contracted it but you won't know for about a week.

Pascha Fri 26-Oct-12 18:26:41

daughter blush sorry

nahla321 Fri 26-Oct-12 18:30:16

I would just take the risk as long as your DD doesn't have high risk factors that she shouldn't be exposed to it. It isn't nice but most children do get it at some point in their childhood.

Oh if you don't want DC to get chicken pox you should vaccinate (not OP specifically but anyone) as it is much nastier in the teens or later. There is a vaccination but I think you have to pay for it in the UK, and need to consider re-doing it after about 10 years as it is one of the ones that can sometimes wear off. Its one of the standard routine vaccines here in Germany.

Handsfulloffun Fri 26-Oct-12 18:41:00

I would do it, as long as he is not really poorly with it and your daughter has not got a compromised immune system.

honeytea Fri 26-Oct-12 19:03:27

do you have a dp who could look after yout dd whilst you look after dgs at his own house?

Boomerwang Fri 26-Oct-12 19:09:17

Tricky one. On one hand I'd love to offer my services as a babysitter to people who do plenty for us, on the other I wouldn't want to expose my child to the infection in case she hadn't already picked it up.

Add to that the possibility of passing it on even further when myself or my child interact with other people... what's the likelihood of infecting someone else who might not be able to cope with chicken pox?

ledkr Fri 26-Oct-12 19:11:11

Yes I did consider that too but dh on lates so not off work till mn. I think I'll do it she will get it eventually anyway. It's been nice to get some perspective on it from you all though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now