Talk

Advanced search

If your parents had MN when you were young

(38 Posts)
kim147 Fri 26-Oct-12 17:14:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

honeytea Fri 26-Oct-12 17:24:05

Aibus from my mum would include:

"aibu to leave my 6 month old pfb with the lambs whilst I do my daily work around the farm/commune that we live on"

"aibu to answered honestly my son's question when he asks over dinner "I understand why people use condoms but why are there flavoured condoms?" (he's 8), the same child also asked "I know you can choose to have sex with a woman or a man but how do 2 men have sex?" (he was 7 at the time)"

" aibu to let my 13 year old go to Glastonbury with her friends (also 13) I will pack her some nice healthy sandwiches and q big bottle of water, also she will have 5 pounds emergency money"

BupcakesAndHaunting Fri 26-Oct-12 17:27:12

My mum would have posted threads like...

"HELP! DD has got a cake tin stuck on her head! I've been trying to get it off for two hours but it's STUCK. sad"

and

"DD just nearly set the house on fire by putting her plastic bucket on the cooker then turning it on sad"

and

"DD just hurled herself into a pit of nettles sad"

Poor my mum.

Notquite Fri 26-Oct-12 17:41:33

AIBU to let DD, 14, go on a day ride with her friends from the riding school across two major dual carriageways then back again, this time under the influence of barley wine?

MrsKeithRichards Fri 26-Oct-12 17:51:12

Aibu to let her sleep in a drawer?

KnottyLocks Fri 26-Oct-12 17:58:40

AIBU to be upset that DD wants to go to Art College. Art College! DH is so upset that he is refusing to speak to her. What is wrong with secretarial college?

MrsCantSayAnything Fri 26-Oct-12 17:59:23

AIBU to not let DD dress up in her Aunt's ballroom gown and then jump out of the bedroom window whilst her siblings sit in a row at the sitting room window, waiting for her to "fly past"?

DD is 9 and should know better.

Style and Beauty: Can anyone give me a sewing pattern for a floral A-Line dress?

Chat: I have 3 under 5,s I'm a SAHM I cook everything from scratch, how about you?

AIBU: to give my DD only her brothers hand-me-downs for the next 8-10 years thus rendering her looking like some right weird hermaphrodite?

<well money's tight dontcha know?>

PerfectStranger74 Fri 26-Oct-12 18:03:15

Aibu to be upset at dh, who left ds in pram outside pub all afternoon with dd (4) babysitting? He says he kept popping out to check on them and top up dd's lemonade.
I wouldn't have know about it if MY MUM shock blush hadn't been walking past and recognised the pram!

VerySmallSqueak Fri 26-Oct-12 18:03:21

AIBU to think it's funny to chase DD who is terrified of spiders with the biggest hairiest one I can find and threaten to put it down her neck?

<1970's sensitive parenting...>

MrsCantSayAnything Fri 26-Oct-12 18:04:35

Curiosity Yes...I have a good one for a full length A Line "Party Dress" which we had made up in brown, floral nylon. Gorgeous. Use orange rick rack as an accent at the neck and cuffs for some extra pizzazz.

OatyBeatie Fri 26-Oct-12 18:08:35

WIBU to practice riding my new moped in the garden and accidentally knock dd off the swing? How should I make it up to her -- sugar sandwiches or a chance to play around with my cigarette lighter?

Dededum Fri 26-Oct-12 18:13:04

AIBU to leave my 18 year old daughter for 6 weeks over the summer holiday with the keys to a black 2.2 fuel injection Astra and our house on her own?

Is it ok to leave my 14 year old daughter alone over night maybe once a week?

Why doesn't my daughter like golf?

Why are my daughters eyes really red and she laughs a lot?

JurassicFart Fri 26-Oct-12 18:14:11

AIBU to wheel my DD down to the end of the garden when she screams so I can get some peace and quiet?

Fairylea Fri 26-Oct-12 18:16:02

Aibu to think that size 14 is fat ?.. I mean it isn't hard to be a size 8, just put the fork down.

(Yes. Really. Says my mum who at 64 tells everyone she has the "body of a 24 year old").

butisthismyname Fri 26-Oct-12 18:18:27

Behaviour: I am so ashamed, my dd 14 has said she wants to be an actress, she's quite good I suppose but it'll draw attention to herself, and embarrass me. Fancy.
Four years later; I am mortified, dd now 18 has auditions for three top drama schools well she can forget that. I'm certainly not giving her the train fare. How dare she be such a show off
sad

Lovecat Fri 26-Oct-12 18:30:07

AIBU to think that DH shouldn't leave our 3 children locked inside the car with a bag of crisps and a lemonade apiece while I'm giving birth to our fourth because my waters breaking clashed with an important bowls match he has to play in?

S&B - which of these swirly pucci-esque tops in crimplene go best with my turquoise polyester trouser suit?

Pets - shall I buy a proper rabbit hutch for the bunny DH acquired from a man down the pub or just let DH knock the guts out of the old stereogram and nail some chickenwire over it instead?

Is it really bad that my 4 yr old DD climbed out of the front window, went 3 doors down, knocked up the old lady there who I barely know and got given tea and cake while I didn't realise for an hour where she was?

(and one from DH's childhood) - is it reasonable for my wife to be cross with me for throwing DS up in the air, failing to catch him thereby letting him hit his nose on the radiator, scarring him for life? I think she's making a fuss over nothing...

PickledFanjoCat Fri 26-Oct-12 18:31:28

I give my dd tea in a bottle with THREE sugars.

Aibu?

Will her teeth be in a good way at 37? Er, no.

CUnexttuseday Fri 26-Oct-12 18:35:32

aibu to take DD to work with me in school holidays (she worked on a butchers stall on the local market, i loved it)
aibu to let DD stay all weekend in a caravan at the local riding stables

DameFannyGallopsAtaGhost Fri 26-Oct-12 18:36:21

Good Housekeeping:

So, since the DTs were born I've been nipping into the understairs cupboard every once in a while to scream into a cushion. Unfortunately - and sorry for the TMI - my spit seems to be faffing the cover in places.

So, do you think I should recover the cushions in floral brown or orange? The sofa's dark grey, and the walls are yellow, and we've got a sisal carpet till we can afford something better.

dearprudence Fri 26-Oct-12 18:44:27

_Chat
Help! I've run out of spaces to cover with Laura Ashley prints. I've already done all the walls, all the bedspreads and most of DDs' dresses in those beautiful floral prints. What else can I do?

Annunziata Fri 26-Oct-12 18:47:24

HELP there are 8 of them!

AIBU to think my boys are much better than the girls and that the girls should be cooking and cleaning for them?

AIBU to call my daughter Annunziata? We live in Glasgow, btw.

ShirleyRots Fri 26-Oct-12 18:48:49

I love that dearprudence! My whole house was Laura Bloody Ashley.

'AIBU to threaten to strangle DD with the TV cord of her own TV?'

(That sounds like I had a terrible childhood, I didn't though I was just a ghastly teenager)

SirBoobAlot Fri 26-Oct-12 18:54:01

How the hell do I get DD to wear something other than the hieroglyphic print dress I got from the charity shop for 50p? She's now been wearing it pretty much constantly for two years.

blush grin

1944girl Fri 26-Oct-12 19:06:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now