Talk

Advanced search

to think it is not acceptable just to not pay your staff on time, and bugger off on holiday on pay day!

(25 Posts)
dribbleface Fri 26-Oct-12 12:51:45

Grrrrrr angry Dh due to be paid on 28th, always goes in the working day before if it falls on the weekend, so today is payday (and has been like this for 4 years)

Boss on holiday, DH told today not getting paid today, or Monday but Tuesday. He is fuming, our mortgage will not get paid (well it will but only because I've had to move things about/borrow etc). We are strapped for cash, just back to work after having DS2, so our extra comfort money all gone.

Things will be very tight, and I'm worried about his job, have a feeling it may disappear next week sad

Am i unreasonable to think is boss is a gutless coward to disappear on payday!

Iodine Fri 26-Oct-12 12:55:23

Yanbu. Boss is a cunt.

dribbleface Fri 26-Oct-12 12:56:33

Iodine grin that made me feel better, that's what I wanted to say!

drjohnsonscat Fri 26-Oct-12 12:58:18

Outrageous. I run my own business and this is absolutely unacceptable. How dare he? Very sorry to hear it.

ButternutSquish Fri 26-Oct-12 13:25:00

Agree with drjohnsonscat, I run my own business and it is completely unacceptable! I make sure my staff are paid before me and I ensure I organise payment before pay day because sometimes the bank's online site crashes because there's too many people online at one time. So you are def not being unreasonable

Iodine Fri 26-Oct-12 15:00:10

Glad it helped dribbleface grin

flowery Fri 26-Oct-12 15:08:42

YANBU, and I agree that you should be concerned about his job. If payday is usually absolutely reliable and there is suddenly a delay, that usually indicates a cashflow problem, which is obviously not a good sign.

dribbleface Fri 26-Oct-12 16:37:49

flowery - absolutely, have known things have not been good for a while, they made redundancies last month. Bugger, trouble is the industry he's in is pretty much the same all over. sad

fedupofnamechanging Fri 26-Oct-12 16:40:11

I'd definitely start looking for a new job and maybe start looking into some sort of mortgage protection plan, if you don't already have one.

HappyJoyful Fri 26-Oct-12 16:42:31

YANBU, totally and utterly feel your angst.. for what it's worth you're not alone. DH owed almost a grand for over 6 weeks now and agency suddenly stop answering calls. Bastards the lot of them - people should pay staff end of as others say before themselves and before going on holiday for certain.

dribbleface Fri 26-Oct-12 16:42:48

We did have redundancy cover but the cost went up so much it was feasible (stupid stupid stupid thing to do!).

Wouldn't think we will get it now as there are known redundancies, we can take a 3 month break, I could easily increase to 5 days from 3 (can you tell I've been thinking about it a lot!).

dribbleface Fri 26-Oct-12 16:44:29

HappyJoyful - that's what get to me more! If the business is in trouble, ok, can accept that, but to be such a coward and not face your staff makes my blood boil!

agedknees Fri 26-Oct-12 16:44:35

YANBU. This happened in a nursing home I was working in at Christmas a few years ago. I was an agency nurse, so I was paid by my agency, but I spent a lot of the time after my shift phoning citizens advice on behalf of the care assistants who did not get paid.

The nursing home owner had gone away for Christmas and was using the money for his workers as his spending money. The ladies I was working with where in tears as it was 2 days before Christmas.

Selfish for any boss to do this.

dribbleface Fri 26-Oct-12 16:44:57

Oh and sorry your in a similar situation

Cahoots Fri 26-Oct-12 16:46:13

Very, very unacceptable of the boss to buggeroony off like that. I hope it rains and he has a shite holiday.

I am not usually so mean, honest wink

thebody Fri 26-Oct-12 16:49:13

Disgusting op, he is a gutless selfish pig.

I used to be a SE childminder and it was gut wrenching how some parents lied about not having the money at fri pick up( despite clearly having had highlights done) saying cash had been transferred into my account( when the bank was saying it defiantly hadn't blah blah)

Some selfish fuckers out there, do hope you get it sorted soon op.

ginnybag Fri 26-Oct-12 16:49:25

The company I work for has paid late once in 7 years.

It was the banks fault, not ours, they transcribed the payment date wrong.

My MD and I were in the office all weekend. He, personally, made people's mortgage payments for them and the like to cover them until the money went in.

That's what should happen.

Whatever happens next, it's time to look for a new job for your DH, because his employer has just so clearly demonstrated his priorities.

dribbleface Fri 26-Oct-12 16:52:21

Been looking today for him, have a couple of contacts to try through my work also. He will speak to his contacts too no doubt, if not already done so, but agree he needs to move on

dribbleface Fri 26-Oct-12 16:58:19

thebody ironically I'm due to pay our lovely childminder tonight, but she WILL get paid, made sure of that as she deserves to get paid on time, like the rest of us.

KitCat26 Fri 26-Oct-12 17:10:43

Your DH's boss is a git. I really hope it gets sorted soon.

DH always makes sure there is enough cash (and it is cash, paid weekly) for his employees. If we are on holiday, the money is left in envelopes with whoever is in charge to pay it out on the Friday. (Or sooner if the guys are having cash flow issues).

ConferencePear Fri 26-Oct-12 17:19:31

Isn't it illegal not to pay on time ?

dribbleface Fri 26-Oct-12 17:35:40

ConferencePear Spoke to Acas, they said that we should write to the boss, state unhappiness with situation, coasts incurred. State a time we need the money by, then you can go to employment tribunal for breech of contract. But to be honest not sure that we want to rock the boat until DH finds something else or they make him redundant.

KitCat26 My own boss is appalled. He would not dream of doing this to his staff, and bless him offered to lend me some money if needed. I love my boss!

dribbleface Fri 26-Oct-12 17:36:03

coats not coasts!

dribbleface Fri 26-Oct-12 17:36:16

arghh costs!

flowery Fri 26-Oct-12 18:13:54

It's a breach of contract not to pay on time, but no legal action worth taking unless the delay is significant, or the money never shows up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now