Talk

Advanced search

To buy an IPad with Baby Money

(59 Posts)
Jsa1980 Fri 26-Oct-12 12:05:04

My mother has kindly given me £1,500 to buy things for my impending arrival. I've worked out I can do it for far less than that, I've offered to give the remainder back but but she will not accept it.

AIBU to buy an iPad with the difference?

PropertyNightmare Fri 26-Oct-12 12:09:12

I think it all depends on your financial circumstances generally. Of you are secure financially with a safety net of savings behind you then get the iPad. If you don't have money put away though then saving the spare £500-600 would be a much better bet.

maebyfunke Fri 26-Oct-12 12:10:19

I don't think I could. I would put it away and use it for Baby items in the future.

WorraLiberty Fri 26-Oct-12 12:10:34

No I'd put it away and spend it on the baby as and when he/she needs it.

They're quite an ongoing expense.

I think yabvu.

Jsa1980 Fri 26-Oct-12 12:13:46

I've will have a years rent saved by the time it arrives so we'll be okay money wise.

Putting it away in an account for the baby is a much better idea. Didn't think of that (I blame pregnancy)

quirrelquarrel Fri 26-Oct-12 12:15:06

An iPad is a luxury item but your child will need a lot of thing later which are not luxury but necessary....just save it.

nokidshere Fri 26-Oct-12 12:16:03

Nah I would buy the iPad!

Whether you spend "the babyys" money now, or your own money on the baby later it will all get spent on the same things in the end!

And an iPad will be fab for all those boring stints on the sofa feeding and holding baby.

Enjoy!

whois Fri 26-Oct-12 12:19:40

Oh go get it.

Every train journey I take I see little kids playing or watching things on iPads - seems like it might be a good investment for things like that. Although in 2 years when it might be useful I gues technology will have moved on somewhat!

mutny Fri 26-Oct-12 12:19:48

If this is serious yabvu.
Babies also cost money when they arrive, alot over the next 18+ years.

ShiftyFades Fri 26-Oct-12 12:19:58

I would keep it to one side and use it for baby classes etc. I found getting out the house to be hard work (winter baby and the weather was awful), booking up for baby sensory and WaterBabies probably stopped me going nuts grin
These lifelines classes can be an unbudgeted cost so the £300 (ish) would be very handy.

Good luck grin

Jsa1980 Fri 26-Oct-12 12:20:39

It would be the last thing I buy for myself, ever....

newmum001 Fri 26-Oct-12 12:22:20

I would be tempted to get the ipad but babies are very expensive. Keep the rest for clothes etc as he/she grows.

Jsa1980 Fri 26-Oct-12 12:22:32

Classes are an excellent idea which I've not thought of. I need to keep the money back

FreudianLisp Fri 26-Oct-12 12:23:53

YABVU. You'll need plenty more baby things within the next few months. Save the money for those. If I was your mum, I'd be furious if you did this!

Narked Fri 26-Oct-12 12:25:13

They're about to release another new one. Wait until after Christmas at least!

ChunkyPickle Fri 26-Oct-12 12:25:59

I would get a smaller one - like the nexus 7 - because you need to be able to hold it one handed without dropping and that's tough with an ipad (maybe not the new mini I suppose). They are invaluable for being able to do your online shopping/email/skype/whatever whilst jiggling, feeding, or whatevering a baby.

DS has been using the ipad since before he was 1 (back then just for firework or spinning top-style apps) and now he's two I can just give it to him and he can wander off and amuse himself with games/colouring/whatever for quite a while.

So in response YANBU, they are very useful, but you'll need another when your baby is old enough to monopolise this one (although by then it'll be old anyhow)

Just don't buy all the tat that you're told you'll need, then never use, and get stuff that you only need for a couple of months second hand (and pass it on again once you're done)

NapOfTheDamned Fri 26-Oct-12 12:26:00

I'd get the iPad.
I would have gone mad without mine.
All those late night BF stints.
All those times I needed to ask mumsnet something.
Now I have a toddler it entertains him.
I Skype grandparents with it, I take pics and videos of toddler and send to family moments later.
It holds all my books, lists, diary, it is what keeps me sane and connected to my friends, family, the wider world.

Get the iPad. I couldn't have managed without it. Well, I could, but the PND would have been far worse.

StrangeGlue Fri 26-Oct-12 12:26:11

I second using it for baby classes, lifesavers!

I'd keep it back, DD is just coming up to 1 and over the year I've been grateful fir money people gave us for her as clothes, toys etc really add up!

Jsa1980 Fri 26-Oct-12 12:26:14

She's fine with it, I would do it if she wasn't

JustSpidero Fri 26-Oct-12 12:26:21

Could you get a less expensive tablet that does the same job? Or ask your mum if she minds as she's refusing to take the balance back.

If not then fair enough.

Handsfulloffun Fri 26-Oct-12 12:26:29

No I wouldnt.
I would put some away, do babies still get the trust fund money ? I would add to that if you do and start a savings account up with some if you dont. The rest I would keep to dip in to as and when I needed it.

ethelb Fri 26-Oct-12 12:28:49

Get one when she is a toddler. They can be a great educational tool.

Rhubarb78 Fri 26-Oct-12 12:29:39

buy an i pad and an apptivity case and that way the i pad is for you and the baby grin

akaemmafrost Fri 26-Oct-12 12:30:02

I would. There'll be many, many, many sacrifices made for your child, financial and otherwise for the rest of your lives. If you want to spoil yourself a bit before they get here I do not see a problem with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now