Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

...to find the whole baby stage generally just a bit...well.....shit?

(120 Posts)
bblue Fri 26-Oct-12 10:11:57

For sure there are some wonderful bits, like the big grins, but it seems to me to be overwhelmingly mind-numbingly tedious. Lots of crying, lots of not sleeping (for everyone), wearing the same 3 revolting tops in rotation (breastfeeding) and constantly covered in baby sick. I have got an older child too, and while they have their own challenges(!) it definitely gets more interesting. A friend calls it the "baby conspiracy" - i.e. that you'll rarely hear a bad word about having a tiny baby (that's not immediately tempered by "but oh my god they're so worth it, wouldn't change it for the world") but surely it's not just me (and my friend?!). Or is it?

boschy Fri 26-Oct-12 10:13:16

No def NBU. The baby stage are dull dull dull IMO. Teenagers now, they're wonderful! (and no, I am not being sarcastic)

laptopcomputer Fri 26-Oct-12 10:14:20

No, YANBU. It is no fun at all. Much better once they get to 3!

JennyPiccolo Fri 26-Oct-12 10:14:53

I liked it sad

EMS23 Fri 26-Oct-12 10:15:52

My DH and I are with you, wholeheartedly! We're on our 3rd DC (my 2nd) and both feel like this. First 3-6 months are an endurance test for us.
When we've been honest with childless friends, they've seemed a but incredulous and thought we were probably being sarcastic.
A few, after subsequently having their own, have then agreed.
But some people do love early months to be fair.

EasilyBored Fri 26-Oct-12 10:16:11

YANBU. DS is 10 months, and I think at about 7 months (when he started consistently sleeping through) I started to think there might be a light at the end of the tunnel.

I find him really fun to be around these days!

NiniLegsInTheAir Fri 26-Oct-12 10:16:19

YANBU. Hated the baby stage, but once DD hit 1 it was like a fog had been lifted. She's nearly 2 and it's ace now.

Sirzy Fri 26-Oct-12 10:16:29

Yanbu, I much prefer it when they can do thinks!

Sirzy Fri 26-Oct-12 10:16:39

Things even!

WelshMaenad Fri 26-Oct-12 10:18:00

Babies bore the shit out if me. I cuddled one the other day, she was nice and all, but I was more interested in the marauding toddlers.

MrsBungleBear Fri 26-Oct-12 10:18:09

Just you and me then Jenny I love the tiny baby stage - sad to see it go! both of mine slept through quite early though so maybe that's why

yellowowl Fri 26-Oct-12 10:18:26

I like it! I love the cuddles , and my DS doesn't cry much, so I guess it's easier then some have it.

Vagndidit Fri 26-Oct-12 10:19:05

Definitely NBU. I could not wait for DS to get past the baby/toddler days. He's much, much more fun now that he's 4. Am planning #2 at the moment, but to be honest, I kinda wish I could just pop out an instant 3 year old and skip the beginning bits.

BeyondLimitsOfTheLivingDead Fri 26-Oct-12 10:19:19

ds1 is 2, ds2 is 6m. It is literally getting more fun every day now smile

MerylStrop Fri 26-Oct-12 10:19:54

Pollyanna time
You don't have to do any playgroup hell
You don't have to do any schoolrun hell
You can go out to lunch and art galleries and cinema and shops and they don't mind
The sleep-deprivation can be a bit of a bugger but we still have that 8 years later

Naghoul Fri 26-Oct-12 10:20:24

YANBU, but they are worth it, aren't they smile

I remember being washed over with the oxytocin when my DC were born, the pure pure love.

I think that maybe that lasts longer for some people than others.

Ambi Fri 26-Oct-12 10:36:49

I love it, the smiles, the only time when I'll be the most amazing person in the world to her. When you put them down they stay there and no back chat.

pigletmania Fri 26-Oct-12 10:40:30

With dd 5 the baby stage was awful, hard with constant crying willing nothing we would do was right, hated it like a passion. Ds 9 months totally different, loving it, though it has ts moments, totally different experience

valiumredhead Fri 26-Oct-12 11:01:57

What ambi said!

Sharksandfishes Fri 26-Oct-12 11:04:12

Yabu!
The gummy smiles, the lazing around while breast feeding, the cuddles without them escaping...
DS1 is 3.5 and an absolute nightmare at the moment, DS2 is 10 weeks and utterly adorable! grin

GoSakuramachi Fri 26-Oct-12 11:05:10

If you have just the one baby, or older ones in school, its great having a little baby. You can do whatever you like and just haul them along with you. Not like toddlers when they speak and want stuff!

WitchesTit Fri 26-Oct-12 11:06:47

YABU for being so negative

Ffs it's a matter of months or even weeks that they are defenceless newborns, a matter of months or even weeks before your boobs calm down and you get used to the broken sleep.

There's so much to get out of caring for a newborn, even if they cry loads and don't sleep ( and i've had my share of that) the time goes so fast!

Can't you just get into it and ENJOY it??

TheOnlyPersonInTheRoom Fri 26-Oct-12 11:08:08

YANBU I hated it. The only thing that got me through it was knowing that by definition it wasn't going to last forever.
My girl is 1 now and much more ace now she's interactive.

It's hard because you don't want to rain on the parade of new mums hence the 'baby conspiracy' but really I much more appreciated it when people were honest about it. I heard "it DOES get better" quite a lot and they are right.

Any new mums I say something similar, because it's hard when you're in that fog to be reasonable and realistic about it.

HorraceTheOtter Fri 26-Oct-12 11:10:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TeaBrick Fri 26-Oct-12 11:11:00

Looking after a newborn baby? Fucking nightmare, wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now