Talk

Advanced search

To think if a man asks you to meet him mother, he's serious about you?

(14 Posts)
MrsTCrowley Thu 25-Oct-12 14:18:28

Boyfriend keeps hinting about me meeting his mum. For the past two weeks he's said stuff like "I'll have to introduce you at some point" / "My mum will start asking tons of questions if I don't introduce you soon!" / "I want you to meet my mum, you'd get on great with her"

So I'm getting the jist that he's hoping to arrange this soon.

Does this ALWAYS mean he's serious about the relationship?

MrsKeithRichards Thu 25-Oct-12 14:19:40

Maybe he's really gay and trying to convince his mother otherwise?

<helpful>

ClippedPhoenix Thu 25-Oct-12 14:21:47

Maybe, or it could mean that once she's met you it will get her off his back.

Elec Thu 25-Oct-12 14:22:35

No it doesn't always. 45 yo BIL has introduced about 15 gfs to mil in the time I have been around. They all get dumped or dump him. he is a terrible partner.

But I would think generally it is a good sign

...and hope that you are not going out with my loser BIL !

SoleSource Thu 25-Oct-12 14:46:47

Probably being pressured by her. But he can always tell his Mum ge isn't serious about you to shut her up. He obviously hasn't, so I would say, yes he is serious about you smile

justmyview Thu 25-Oct-12 14:49:15

I'd think it's a good sign, but be careful not to read too much into it

Loveweekends10 Thu 25-Oct-12 14:50:12

Or a mummy's boy!

missymoomoomee Thu 25-Oct-12 14:50:35

Why don't you ask him instead of trying to analyse it? Thats the only way you are going to find out for sure confused

PomBearWithAnOFRS Thu 25-Oct-12 14:54:32

DH and I had been together for two years and I was pregnant with DD before he told his family I existed... (make of that what you will grin )

SoleSource Thu 25-Oct-12 15:02:06

That was exactly true for my ex Loveweekends! His Mum nagged my ex to meet me.

SoleSource Thu 25-Oct-12 15:02:58

But he was serious about me too.

FredFredGeorge Thu 25-Oct-12 15:06:20

Maybe he wants to scare you off by introducing you to his hideous mother.
Maybe he wants to convince his mother he's met a nice girl just to get her off his back while he continues his single life.
Maybe he wants to test you to see how you react to his perfectly delightful mother before he bothers becoming serious at all.
Maybe he wants his mothers opinion before becoming serious.
Maybe he's got an oedipus complex and is trying to make his mother jealous.

Just go meet his mother - it's not a big deal and probably doesn't mean anything either way. Trying to analyse what it means and making it a big deal is likely a bad idea.

mrsfuzzy Thu 25-Oct-12 18:31:12

my first fiance mother invited me for an audience with her [that's the only way to describe it] and i was given the once over and you could mentally see her ticking off the list well spoken, well educated, lower middle class, do you want children j? i would like some grand children. WHAT???? oh, you're an auxillary nurse private work i take it? er... not always...oh, dear.... he didn't say a word but sat grining inanely,couldn't believe it!! needless to say he got the elbow before the front door closed and she would have heard everything!

EdsRedeemingQualities Thu 25-Oct-12 18:39:48

Not always, though if you'd asked me a year ago I'd have said yes.

My sort-of boyfriend/best friend/blokey mate actually rang me up and invited me to meet his parents - with my own children, though his weren't there at the time hmm which is the usual excuse for going round.

I have no idea why to this day - we got on well, they are lovely, it felt like a set-up kind of thing iykwim?

And we were never in a proper relationship at all. He would be intimate like we're married or something but sex was very very rare and afterwards, he always said he thought we should stay friends - I never did figure him out.

He's doing it again recently. Have to take it with a pinch of salt. It makes no sense and is very confusing.

Good luck though...I think it usually means he is serious about you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now