Talk

Advanced search

Neighbours

(21 Posts)
Yaan123 Thu 25-Oct-12 12:36:42

Am I being reasonable to ask neighbours to stop their temporary rain plastic pipes hanging over our the fence on our front drive and therefore draining excess water into our hedges? Just feel like snipping away with scissors but it may start an argument!

valiumredhead Thu 25-Oct-12 12:38:19

Won't the hedges benefit from being watered? If they are only temporary then I think YABU and petty tbh. If you are getting soaked every tie you leave the house then YANBU.

Yaan123 Thu 25-Oct-12 12:42:41

Plastic hanging over our fence on our drive doesnt look particularly attractive and I would expect neighbours to keep their property on their land. No the plants will not benefit from excess water, we're not suffering from a drought at present( not in Surrey anyway)smile

ClippedPhoenix Thu 25-Oct-12 12:45:16

How temporary is "temporary"?

valiumredhead Thu 25-Oct-12 12:48:50

How much is hanging onto your property? Can't you just ask them to trim it back if it's bothering you that much?

DuchessofMalfi Thu 25-Oct-12 12:56:41

Stick a water butt under it and collect all the water for your own garden smile

Yaan123 Thu 25-Oct-12 12:58:52

Clippedphoenix - since June this year, construction on the house has been ongoing since last November. Husband and I have many times thrown the plastic back over but it keeps on blowing back. We try to keep our drive looking as nice as we can, so its slightly annoying we have this to deal with this and having to look at their unfinished house for the last year. P.s they are living in the house.

valiumredhead Thu 25-Oct-12 13:00:36

Well people have to do their houses up OP, it's better than living somewhere where no one cares about their houses. Can you not talk to them about it?

Collaborate Thu 25-Oct-12 13:03:08

I think it's reasonable for you to do what you want over this. It's your land.

ClippedPhoenix Thu 25-Oct-12 13:03:51

So it's not just for a week or two then.

If I were you I'd knock and have a friendly chat. They probably don't know it's annoying you as I would have thought this was to do with the builders.

valiumredhead Thu 25-Oct-12 13:05:42

But have a serious think about what you are going to say because I think I would probably laugh at someone who complained about a bit of rain water running into my hedge wink

5Foot5 Thu 25-Oct-12 13:18:40

I was going to suggest that you try tosding it back over their side until they get the message. However I see that you have tried that and it blows back. Sounds like there migt not be much they can do

Yaan123 Thu 25-Oct-12 13:21:23

The last time we carefully threw the plastic back they saw and returned the favour by throwing flint stones over the fence at us! So we are not on speaking terms and I dont want to waste too much time on this matter and involve outside parties. They are young and ignorant(we're not as young but not old eithersmile) we have just different attitudes on how we treat neighbours. They are not liked by any of the neighbours and have made no effort change this. The builders left in August and havent returned, which has left us and other neighbours with no choice but to buy trees to block off the eyesore of an house! I am about to go shopping and the scissors are looking very tempting lol.

Sallyingforth Thu 25-Oct-12 13:21:32

I think you need to tell us more about this pipe. Is it discharging all the water from their house roof? That would cause flooding in a downpour and be quite unreasonable. If it's just off a bit of sheeting then I personally would not be bothered.

ClippedPhoenix Thu 25-Oct-12 13:23:45

If that's the case I'd be sharpening those scissors too. Do you need a hand?

Yaan123 Thu 25-Oct-12 13:36:15

One question to those who think I am being petty...
Would you find it acceptable if your neighbour hung their washing over your fence?

Jusfloatingby Thu 25-Oct-12 14:08:05

They sound rude, ignorant and obnoxious. YANBU.

valiumredhead Thu 25-Oct-12 14:13:27

Oh drip drip OP, no I wouldn't but you didn't say that in your OP, did you?

go and have a word about personal space before it turns into out and out war. Or try a very polite letter.

DuchessofMalfi Thu 25-Oct-12 17:18:52

Apologies if I sounded flippant in suggesting you put a water butt under the pipe. I do know what it's like to live next door to an ignorant bully - that's our neighbour. When we had building works done to our house, he was outside every day threatening the builders, complaining to their office, ringing the Council and trying to get them out to put a stop to the works etc. All pure spite and hatred. We then had a vile letter making all kinds of demands. I would call him rude, obnoxious and ignorant too. I stood up to him and he threatened me with violence. He's since turned his attention to the neighbours on the other side of us. He truly is obnoxious.

So I would suggest first of all writing them a very nice polite letter explaining what your issues are and asking them not to hang their washing on your fence, or throw stones at you, etc. If that gets you nowhere, then you can always take advice from the Police about the stone throwing.

mrsfuzzy Thu 25-Oct-12 18:09:48

duchess is right if you really can't face them write a polite note, trim the pipe back and put it back on their side if the are threatening i would definantly have the police involved, but keep note of any anti social behaviour, don't be bullied in your own home, are they in council or buying? if they are council tenants, housing would possibly be interested by all the building and any anti social going on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now