Talk

Advanced search

shy college student

(7 Posts)
funkyjoe Thu 25-Oct-12 12:32:05

i started college 2 months ago. There is a great bunch of girls in my class.
They all new each other previously. Me and this other girl became friends and all became great. Now this girl has dropped out, everyone else is in their own groups. i dont feel i have anything in common with them, they all say hello. But really that dont start conversations, when i do, they reply one sentence bk to me. I really want this course, So i am going to stick it out.i feel like i am the odd one out. even wen we have to go in groups of2 or 3 to do work i am left to do it on my own, Ages vary from 18 up to 48. i am a little shy in big groups, but confident.

Has any one got advice for me?

racingheart Thu 25-Oct-12 12:41:16

Have you tried being the person who starts up something social? You could email round the group and suggest meeting up.

You could also try joining some other groups at college. Your friends don't have to be on the same course as you.

GhostShip Thu 25-Oct-12 13:19:24

You're not doing access to health by any chance are you?

There's a girl in your position in my class, I have tried to talk to her but she's very religious and it seems all topics of conversation end up steering to religion...

If you've tried to start conversation with them, and they're still not taking you on, I wouldn't bother with them. Why make an effort with someone who's not willing to do it back? You deserve better than that.

I understand that feeling lonely can get you down, but I feel that as you get older you get more independent and don't need others as much. Have you got friends outside of college?

I started college 2 months ago too, I hope you can find happiness on your course x

funkyjoe Thu 25-Oct-12 13:28:47

racingheart, i have tried telling them we should organise a xmas party,i was told someone(more popular) was organising it.
Gostship, no thats not me in ur course, i have lots of close friends and fantastic family which is worse cause i do get a long with everybody.
i just feel like an outsider, class is 25 people, like i said age is anything from 18 -48, we often have to do group work,it makes me sad everyday to go in and sit on my own. i do my work and get on with it. There all so clique sad

GhostShip Thu 25-Oct-12 13:40:29

Aww funky sad

I wish I could help you, I really do. All I can say is that you sound lovely, and the fact that youve got lots of friends outside college shows that you must be.

They dont sound worth your time to be honest. Just use it to your advantage, you can concentrate on your college work without having to maintain these 'friendships'.

funkyjoe Thu 25-Oct-12 19:29:42

thanks ghostship.
Thats true smile

i will try and talk even more.its not easy been out of my comfort zone. thanks

maybenow Thu 25-Oct-12 19:34:01

you must join groups for group work - if it's groups of 2 or 3 then go to a 2 and say 'can i join you?'. don't let being on your own become normal because it will then be harder to break out of that.
then the next time it's group work, if nobody approaches you then join a different 2, until you've mixed with lots of them, eventually you'll find out who you get on best with. working together is an easy way to get to know somebody.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now