Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ask you what happens when I report someone for harassment to the police

(18 Posts)
MissNJE Thu 25-Oct-12 11:30:02

I have name changed for this as the person harassing/blackmailing/threatening me found me on here too.

Maybe better in the legal section, but posted it here for more traffic as I need advise quickly. The police is coming to my house at 1pm to see emails, text messages and the amount of calls I received from this person.

I wasted this persons time, however I did not do anything illegal but she is accusing me of fraud and slander and unless I pay a huge amount of money until Friday she will take me to court etc. I was advised by two lawyers to ignore her but she contacted my friends and family, my university and the university I will be studying next year. I went to the police yesterday but didn't report her then for harassment but after getting further emails and text messages I called 101 and a police officer will come today and write down details etc.

What happens after you report someone for harassment? Does anybody have personal experience on this topic?

MrsCantSayAnything Thu 25-Oct-12 11:32:15

I have experience of it....my Mother was harrassed by a crazy neighbour....but...your case seems more complex. Why does this person want money?

Did you say you wouuld buy something from her and then not buy it?

MrsCantSayAnything Thu 25-Oct-12 11:33:46

Basically the police note down the details...then go to speak to the other person....and warn them not to bother you. If the person keeps doing it then the police can serve a special order which means that if they contact you again, they can be arrested.

SouthernComforts Thu 25-Oct-12 11:34:36

Slightly different, it was an ex boyfriend. The police came round and took a statement, looked at texts, voicemail etc, took photos of the messages, then arrested my ex. He was kept in a cell for while, interviewed and cautioned. I was told if the harassment continued I could apply for a restraining order (can't remember the correct name)

It was more complicated because he is DDs father so we still needed some kind of contact iyswim.

DinosaursOnASpaceship Thu 25-Oct-12 11:38:12

I reported someone for harassment a few years ago but I don't know if things work differently now. It was mainly texts and phone calls I got. I rang my local police station and they asked me to write out all the texts and to bring the list and my phone in with me.

I had an interview where I explained the situation and showed the officer my phone, she varified that what I had written was correct and signed the list, I also signed it.

She told me that any reply I had made to his texts started the number of harassment texts back to zero and there had to be a certain amount before it was harassment (this could have changed legally by now)

They said they would speak to the person who was harassing me and warn them off. I was to let them know of any further messages or calls.

The officer called me when they had spoken to this person (they rang them rather than go in person) and let me know they had been given a warning.

In my case this was the end of it, I'm not sure how things work now but i hope your issue is sorted out as easily as mine was.

MissNJE Thu 25-Oct-12 11:39:44

No, she said I wasted her time. It's a bit more complex BUT I did not anything illegal as told my two lawyers and the police. She knows (well I hope) that she can't get away with it and is now blackmailing and threatening me. Contacting my family, friends and university and talking badly about me to try to get my personal details is not on and I was very distressed by this. She told me she will ruin my life, make sure that I get a criminal record that I can't get a degree, lose my job etc. unless I pay her a little bit more than 5k until Friday.

MrsCantSayAnything Thu 25-Oct-12 11:48:15

What did you do exactly to "waste her time" that would cost 5 grand??

TiAAAAARGHo Thu 25-Oct-12 11:58:56

Don't worry. The police will take all your details and then, depending how serious they see it as, either arrest her or just go and give her a warning. If she then continues she will be arrested and receive a caution. If that does not dissuade her she will be arrested and charged (my dad had a stalker an t got to this point).

If at any point you have contact with her, your only thing to say is "go away and leave me alone, you are harassing me and that is a criminal offence".

givemeaclue Thu 25-Oct-12 12:01:27

Do you actually owe her £5k?

ClippedPhoenix Thu 25-Oct-12 12:07:05

You're not really making sense OP. Wasted her time to the sum of £5K blimey what service was she offering for that amount?

Tiredtrout Thu 25-Oct-12 12:13:15

It depends, did you engage her to provide a service and the messages she is leaving are an attempt to make you pay for the service provided. Have you told her to stop contacting you or any further contact will be judged as harassment. If you've been responding to the messages that negates any allegation of harassment.

In any case officers would look at all of the messages, do a statement and a crime report with you and then depending on the above issue a first case harassment warning or deal with it as a full case harassment

AgentProvocateur Thu 25-Oct-12 12:16:32

I'm guessing you pulled out of a house sale, and the 5k is what it's cost to readvertise, and/or the difference between your offer and the selling price. If so, she is entitled to the money, but going about it in the wrong way.

MrsCantSayAnything Thu 25-Oct-12 12:20:12

Agent I thought it was something like a service that the woman offers....and the OP had her round for a quote and then never went with it.

SarahJaynesAlien Thu 25-Oct-12 12:22:26

It isn't harassment if you owe something and are refusing to pay. A person is allowed to take reasonable steps to recover the money including trying to track you down to obtain that money.

If it is however as AP says (or the recovery of some other civil debt)the likelihood is she'll just be told to get a solicitor pursue it through the small claims court.

MissNJE Thu 25-Oct-12 12:40:22

I do not owe her any money. I contacted her about employing staff and because she spent a week on it without me wanting somebody she is now demanding 5k. I never entered a contract with her. Police was already at my house and I have nothing to worry about, I shall send her one last letter/email and if she contacts me again I can report her.

TiAAAAARGHo Thu 25-Oct-12 12:44:26

It is harassment if she is behaving unreasonably, and from the description she is being unreasonable. If she had a right to the money she would go to court like a normal person, not engage in threats, blackmail and stalker behaviour.

If op has received advice that she is my liable for anything to this women, the woman should be leaving her alone.

Help73 Fri 14-Aug-15 19:49:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

vegplotter Fri 14-Aug-15 19:57:38

Zombie Thread Alert! Help73 you would be better starting a new post.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now