Talk

Advanced search

To think Special K

(34 Posts)
kim147 Thu 25-Oct-12 11:14:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TennisFan42 Thu 25-Oct-12 11:16:14

Yup, it's just marketing. Unless you prefer the taste to normal cornflakes (or other cereal) I wouldn't bother with it.

kim147 Thu 25-Oct-12 11:17:37

StuntGirl Thu 25-Oct-12 11:18:05

I have to add half a bowlful of sugar on top of cornflakes to enjoy them, so special k probably does end up being healthier (for me!)

ClippedPhoenix Thu 25-Oct-12 11:19:06

To think Special K.... is sweet cardboard and full of air. I'd have to eat 5 full bowls to feel the slightest bit satisfied grin

SparkyTGD Thu 25-Oct-12 11:19:32

I love the taste, but just buy shops own brand. My DM asked me once why I bought 'diet' cereal & I explained its not diet at all, its pretty much the same as any other regular cereal (apart from childrens ones). So she had believed the marketing hype.

midseasonsale Thu 25-Oct-12 11:19:45

I think most slimming food is stuffed full of sugar

TheSurgeonsMate Thu 25-Oct-12 11:21:47

And nice malty flavour. Yum.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 25-Oct-12 11:21:59

Yup, fat often = flavour so it needs to be replaced by something else. If you are watching your weight, it's total calories that matter, not fat.

Have you ever weighed out the recommended 30g serving of special K? It's about two spoonfuls, so it's not really low calorie either unless you enjoy starving.

StuntGirl Thu 25-Oct-12 11:28:16

I do weigh out my food and a 30g serving is alright but a good bit of poached egg is better.

I eat cereal when I don't have time to faff in the morning, and then take a banana to snack on later when I inevitably get hungry.

Isandri Thu 25-Oct-12 11:52:51

Last time I checked (a few years ago) there were more calories and sugar in special k than there were in frosties and cocopops.

Sallyingforth Thu 25-Oct-12 13:32:23

Agree it's not the healthy cereal it's promoted to be. I tried it and found it very sweet. But their recommended 30g serving hardly covers the bottom of a bowl and will not make anyone fat.

SonOfAradia Thu 25-Oct-12 14:24:21

Too much fuss is made over fat intake, I reckon. The French eat loads of saturated fats, yet have a much lower rate of obesity and heart disease than we do. In Gascony, where they guzzle goose fat at every opportunity, the heart disease rate is even lower than the rest of France.

Bizarre.

Llareggub Thu 25-Oct-12 14:27:30

It was much better in the olden days. It is a completely different product now.

amidaiwish Thu 25-Oct-12 14:27:41

cereal is a CRAP breakfast
you need some good quality protein in the morning

a bit of smoked salmon on wholemeal toast
an egg of any type
a bit of ham, avocado & tomato on an oatcake
ANYTHING but cereal. you might as well eat a biscuit. the only goodness is coming from the milk.

LimburgseVlaai Thu 25-Oct-12 14:31:37

Special K = Special Con

I think part of the reason why there are more overweight children in this country than in other parts of Europe is because of the predominance of cereals for breakfast in the UK. As amidaiwish says, cereals are just not healthy. Much better to have wholemeal toast with cheese, say.

SonOfAradia Thu 25-Oct-12 14:38:03

I think you're right, amidai and Limburg.

I adopted a more continental-style breakfast after marrying one of them East European forrin types and lost weight eating cheeses, ham and smoked sausage rather than cornflakes. I felt better too - less bloated.

YouveCatToBeKittenMe Thu 25-Oct-12 14:43:49

I have Special K every Day. Not because of all the weight loss stuff though, because I like the strawberries! Although I also really liked the one with blueberries and blackberries in that they discontinued.
The Peach and apricot one is horrible and tastes wrong in the morning!

I suppose I could just have a bowl of strawberries instead though! grin

wish they'd bring back the original version with the little shallow bra-cup flakes!

squoosh Thu 25-Oct-12 14:46:30

People think it's healthier as the ads say 'have a bowl for breakfast, have a bowl for lunch and then have an ordinary dinner, you'll lose weight'. Most people will notice a drop in weight if they replace a meal with a small bowl of cereal, any cereal.

HorraceTheOtter Thu 25-Oct-12 15:42:10

KellyElly Thu 25-Oct-12 15:58:01

et it actually contains more fat than cornflakes (1.1% vs 1.5%) and more sugar than cornflakes (8% vs 17%). Cornflakes even contain more fibre (3% vs 2.5%) and also less salt. I'm shocked at this. I actually like Special K but was thinking I was being all healthy eating it. May as well just share DDs packet of cornflakes. Need to look into weetabix as I love that. If that is healthier than Special K I won't bother buying it again.

FunBagFreddie Thu 25-Oct-12 15:59:18

Cereal isn't going to set you up for the day. It's just going to make your blood sugar spike and then crash. That sort of malarkey makes you hungry, crave more simple carbs and sugar, it messes with your insulin production and this actually does make you fat.

Protein and good quality fats are what you need in the morning.

kim147 Thu 25-Oct-12 16:01:03

HorraceTheOtter Thu 25-Oct-12 16:12:38

Funnylittleturkishdelight Thu 25-Oct-12 17:36:14

Porridge with seeds and cranberries is my favourite breakfast. I actually love it. It fills me up and is tasty. Pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds- just wack in a load mixed up with a bit of dried fruit. Mmmmmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now