Talk

Advanced search

To not want to watch my nephew's football match?

(30 Posts)
Ouluckyduck Thu 25-Oct-12 06:54:58

We are visiting my family at the moment, staying with my mum, normally live in different countries. My nephew is eight and plays a lit of football, he has a match today fron six till seven in the evening, and I'm being made to feel by my mum and my sil like I should really really want to watch my nephew play, but I'm not keen at all to stand in the cold and dark with my two dc to watch, aibu?

Euphemia Thu 25-Oct-12 07:09:35

You're an adult, you decide.

Sparklingbrook Thu 25-Oct-12 07:11:33

YABU, It's an hour, he is your nephew. Go and cheer and clap and hopefully see him win. Think how chuffed your nephew will be that you and his cousins are watching.

Hot chocolate all round when you get back?

exoticfruits Thu 25-Oct-12 07:11:59

Do your DCs want to watch?

Sparklingbrook Thu 25-Oct-12 07:11:59

Or what Euphemia said?

wishiwasonholiday Thu 25-Oct-12 07:12:03

I wouldn't want to stand in the cold either but maybe of you're only visiting your nephew would like you to watch?

TiggerWearsATriteSmile Thu 25-Oct-12 07:13:21

What Sparkling said^
You might enjoy it, it's for the child not you.

FolkGhoul Thu 25-Oct-12 07:19:51

YANBU to not want to.

I'd probably make the effort to go once just so that we'd done it. I think it's important to show children that what they are doing is valued.

I think it's important for children to learn that sometimes you do things because it's nice for other people and not just because you want to do it.

It will mean a lot to your mum and SIL if you go.

It's just about supporting each other as a family in a small and easy way.

If you think of a child's self esteem as being liquid held in a jug - you all going to watch your nephew will be pouring a bit more into his.

No one's suggesting that you go because they think it will be the best hour of your life, ever! wink

Pourquoimoi Thu 25-Oct-12 07:24:51

Suck it up and go. Yes you may be cold for an hour but he'll be pleased you've all gone. It's only a small effort and you won't have to do it regularly will you?

exoticfruits Thu 25-Oct-12 07:36:27

Just be thankful it is a one off! As the parent of 3DSs I can't tell you how many matches I have watched in the cold and rain and I don't even like football!

Sparklingbrook Thu 25-Oct-12 07:38:07

2 DS's here exotic. One plays for three teams. The time I have put in standing on the sidelines and washing dirty kits doesn't bear thinking about. grin

Sirzy Thu 25-Oct-12 07:41:07

Does your nephew want you to watch? Do your children want to go and watch? If so then you should grin and bear it

exoticfruits Thu 25-Oct-12 07:42:47

As Sirzy says. If none are bothered then don't go( but they probably are).

Ouluckyduck Thu 25-Oct-12 07:48:33

I think part of it part of it is that it is always us doing the visiting so my dc will never get the same in return for something they do, but I guess that's petty.

ladymariner Thu 25-Oct-12 08:18:21

Yes it is! Very petty. Bet your nephew would be really happy to have his cousins watching him and cheering him on. It's only for an hour fgs

poopnscoop Thu 25-Oct-12 09:29:41

I see as much of my Nephew's baseball and my niece's ballet that I can when we visit them - I miss so much as an abroad auntie... plus your kids would love it... as would your nephew no doubt.

Sparklingbrook Thu 25-Oct-12 09:43:58

If that's the way things are duck then I understand a bit more why you are reluctant. But rise above it and be the better auntie. wink

Mrsjay Thu 25-Oct-12 10:01:31

seeing as your visiting I think you should go and watch him play yanbu not to want to go though I hate football and when dd was in the school team I had to go and cheer and clap and all that palava , anyway just go to the match he will be chuffed his cousins are there

Mrsjay Thu 25-Oct-12 10:03:13

f you think of a child's self esteem as being liquid held in a jug - you all going to watch your nephew will be pouring a bit more into his.

aww folk I think that is lovely <welling up >

Sparklingbrook Thu 25-Oct-12 10:05:41

folk sometimes DS1's jug is nearly empty. sad I am really doing my best to fill it up. That's made me a bit tearful. sad

Mrsjay Thu 25-Oct-12 10:06:48

sparkling he is at that age lovey just keep trying to fill his jug smile

Sparklingbrook Thu 25-Oct-12 10:07:52

I am sure he tips some of it out himself sometimes Mrsjay.

Mrsjay Thu 25-Oct-12 10:08:44

they do that sometimes sad

fraserboysmum Thu 25-Oct-12 10:31:29

I live abroad and one year my DB SIL and DC came to visit, had travelled over night and still came to watch our eldest play rugby, they were knackered but stood clapping and cheering, it was absolutely lovely as he was chuffed to bits ! I don;t know about you, but we really miss being there to watch each others kids grow up ... it's only an hour and you never get this time back so i think you should go and have a nice wine when you get back wink x

2rebecca Thu 25-Oct-12 10:59:28

It depends on your kids. If my kids wanted to watch my nephew play and were old enough to watch and not run around being annoying I'd go. If I thought they'd get bored and cold and they weren't keen I wouldn't go. The only time I had a situation like this my son played hockey and the rest of us chatted in a nearby warm cafe and entertained the younger kids. Agree you are an adult and what your mum and sister want you to do is irrelevent here, they won't be seeing things from the point of view of you and your kids. Your nephew will be so engrossed in his match he won't notice who is there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now