Talk

Advanced search

to send a copy of this disgusting, homophobic, racist, disablist, misogynistic, offensive FB convo to the head of the local school?

(79 Posts)
nearlyNovember Thu 25-Oct-12 01:46:42

It is horrifying what these 13/14yos are writing.

They have used practically every swear word.

Told each otehr they're slags/retards/faggots/cunts/to get out of my country.

That they're just bombers.

sad

WorraLiberty Thu 25-Oct-12 01:50:20

I suppose if you don't know their parents, then school would be the only port of call.

However, I'm not sure how/if they would deal with it.

If they are breaking FB rules, can you not report to them?

nearlyNovember Thu 25-Oct-12 01:51:57

I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for that avenue.

I was hoping that perhaps it would encourage tolerance to be taught?

ChippingInLovesAutumn Thu 25-Oct-12 01:52:48

How/why are you reading their FB pages?

nearlyNovember Thu 25-Oct-12 01:53:01

If this was a conversation between adults, I believe the police could be involved. That's how serious I feel this is.

nearlyNovember Thu 25-Oct-12 01:54:39

One of my DD's friends (I am friends with) was targetted with a post regarding her make-up. It escalated to 500 posts within an hours with DC on both sides posting racist et al comments.

CSIJanner Thu 25-Oct-12 02:29:45

Are the profiles looked down or viewable by public? Are they linked on FB to their school. If so, you should definately flag to the teacher. Take screen shots, print it off x2 in full and then approach the year head or teacher as it sounds v close to bullying.

JoanBias Thu 25-Oct-12 03:19:22

A lot of the stuff on FB is awful. E.g. https://www.facebook.com/MoveItLikeItsWorldWar3

DozyDuck Thu 25-Oct-12 05:57:37

Schools should now have an e safety and e bullying policy. It is to do with the school these days.

Hyperballad Thu 25-Oct-12 06:02:01

Yes I think you should.

I read the most disgusting comments I have ever read on FB the other week, he left his place of work public. I really wanted to forward them to his place of work but decided not to.

It's still on my mind though and wish I had now.

I would.

gordyslovesheep Thu 25-Oct-12 09:31:03

I am confused - you say they where saying this to the head - surely the head will sort it out in school <confused>

gordyslovesheep Thu 25-Oct-12 09:31:49

ah okay - got it - misread your title - you could report it - not sure what they would do though

LineRunner Thu 25-Oct-12 09:35:27

Are you reading a public or a private conversation, though?

EscapeInThePark Thu 25-Oct-12 09:39:29

Well if this is that bad that police would involved if it was adults.... why not involving the police?

Seriously, if the comments are racist, disabilist so much so that they are unlawful, then it is a police matter, whether we are talking about a 14yo or an 18yo (even though the treatment/reaction they would get will different and appropriate to their age).

LineRunner Thu 25-Oct-12 10:38:31

My DD's old school had a minor furore over a FB comment until it turned out that it had a been private remark between two girls, but that a 'FB Friend' had seen it, photographed it and taken it into school.

The father of the one of the girls involved was a lawyer and went mad over breach of confidence. The school backed down and the 'FB Friend' was rapidly unfriended.

It would have been a different story if they had been posting publicly.

EscapeInThePark Thu 25-Oct-12 10:42:47

But if there has been over 500 posts, I am guessing it's not quite 'private', is it?

And thinking that things said on FB could be private hmm..... It's just like thinking that what you say on MN is completely anonymous. It's not.

whois Thu 25-Oct-12 10:43:23

Yeah as others have said, are you their 'friend' or are these comments public?

If the comments are not public then you can't and shouldn't really do anything, apart from defriend the boys and stop reading their profiles.

Mrsjay Thu 25-Oct-12 10:46:30

schools will get involved in social media bullying and comments these days it al depends on the context kids will call each other horrible names and dismiss it as 'banter', OP if you are worried then go to the school, I bet teachers roll eyes at the mention of she said this on facebook , I had it wth MSN with dd1 I printed it off and went into school with it,

Bunbaker Thu 25-Oct-12 10:47:57

Regardless of whether the posts are public or not. If it is cyber bullying it must be stopped. Nastiness on FB is a sensitive subject at DD's school at the moment and if I saw anything like this then I would flag it up.

londonone Thu 25-Oct-12 10:51:08

Why is this the schools concern rather than the parents or he police?

Mrsjay Thu 25-Oct-12 10:53:40

Why is this the schools concern rather than the parents or he police?

as I said depending on context a child is being bullied in and out of school nowadays these kids can't get away fromit sometimes, it is an all round problem and parents schools and sometimes the police need to work together, It is easy to say oh block X defriend Y but if they want to get at somebody they will, cyberbullying is awful soul destroying and children feel afraid and isolated,

EscapeInThePark Thu 25-Oct-12 10:53:42

The problem is that you have no idea if that convo hasn't been shared by the people involved, or if some of their friends haven't share it.
So a 'discussion' that was 'private' suddenly is in the hands of 100s of people. How private is that?
That is the start of cyber bullying and is not to be accepted.

It is, imo, a very different issue than a private conversation between 2 persons in RL, or an email or a letter. These are clearly in between a set number of people and disclosure IS an issue.

FB doesn't have that sort of confidentiality, even when you put all your settings on private.
And remember that alot of teenagers have 100s of 'friends' on FB, some of who they have never met.....

If the OP has been able to see the convo between several people then it wasn't a PM. It was there for all the 'friends' to see therefore it was not private.

EscapeInThePark Thu 25-Oct-12 10:58:21

And it's not because you don't see the comments by defriending them that they aren't made. And these will still have some consequences on the everyday life of the child (eg people laughing behind her back, not talking to her etc...).
Which actually might even be worse if you don't even know what it is about.

Mrsjay Thu 25-Oct-12 11:04:32

I had an issue with dd1 it was MSN and the dreaded bebo they used, a group of friends had fallen out and there was conversation passed around they just copy and pasted added bits took bits out, I ended up setting up saved convos and taking it into school as it went on and on was just terrible for all the kids, MY dd was just as bitchy as the rest of them she wasn't innocent but she did get the brunt of the name calling,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now