Talk

Advanced search

to gently poke sleeping baby ds to make sure he is ok?

(88 Posts)
Fairylea Wed 24-Oct-12 22:27:38

I can't help it. smile

He's a much longed for second baby after a 9 year age gap... he's 4 months old.

Every so often when he's asleep, usually before I go to sleep, I give him a little gentle stroke on his head or prod him to make sure he's breathing ok smile

I'm mean aren't I?

PomBearEnvy Wed 24-Oct-12 22:28:53

YANBU. smile

Chubfuddler Wed 24-Oct-12 22:29:11

You're not mean. It's completely understandable. Congratulations and enjoy your lovely son.

MrsKeithRichards Wed 24-Oct-12 22:29:30

Not at all!

I still check on ds(7) every night before I go to and ever since ds(6m) started sleeping through I still wake up and poke him!

gordyslovesheep Wed 24-Oct-12 22:29:48

yanbu - i still do it to mine ...10,8 and almost 4!

My auntie used to do that when she babysat for my brother as her ds snored so she knew he was alright but my brother was silent so she used to poke him!

grin

My mum did show her she could just let her hand in his chest/back and feel him breathing though! wink

Rootatoot Wed 24-Oct-12 22:30:35

We've all done it! ;) x

emsyj Wed 24-Oct-12 22:30:36

I still poke DD (2.5yo) to check she's okay. I think it's allowed. At least, I hope so!

backinaminute Wed 24-Oct-12 22:30:46

I've just done the exact same thing to my Ds who is 18 months. I just can't stop myself, he doesn't seem to mind grin

Fairylea Wed 24-Oct-12 22:31:00

That's alright then smile

He sighed and waved his arms about when I stroked his head a minute ago as if to say "get off me you mad woman" .... ! And then promptly went back to sleep.

ArtVandelay Wed 24-Oct-12 22:31:14

Not mean but can't you just listen to his breathing and watch his chest rise? I miss that, they make lovely breathing noises at 4 months (sob)

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 24-Oct-12 22:31:44

Oh god I do this with both of mine, always have. They are 4.3 and 18 months.

I recently stayed at my parents without DH (he was away with work), and my Mum came in to check on me and DS2, and woke me doing a quick prod/stroke smile

ArtVandelay Wed 24-Oct-12 22:32:30

Tiny arm waving! (loses it completely)

IvorHughJackolantern Wed 24-Oct-12 22:32:51

Oh 4 months is such a lovely snuggle whiffly age, I so miss it. Awwwwwwww. Go and give him another poke from me.

Raspberrysorbet Wed 24-Oct-12 22:32:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

emsyj Wed 24-Oct-12 22:33:35

DD has always been a silent sleeper ArtVandelay - my neighbour babysat for us once and was quite alarmed when she went up to check on her and couldn't hear her, she gave her a good poke to check she was breathing! Some babies are really really quiet and do not give any clue that they are breathing.

IvorHughJackolantern Wed 24-Oct-12 22:33:59

Ali was your mum prodding you to make sure you were breathing? Ahhh!

MogTheForgetfulCat Wed 24-Oct-12 22:35:18

Ahhhh, YANBU smile
<Leaves thread before broodiness sets in>

nonameslefttouse Wed 24-Oct-12 22:35:39

No not at all I still do it DS 7 and DD 3 I love that little sigh they let out!!!

I know its -sad- not for everyone

PartyFops Wed 24-Oct-12 22:35:42

I poke dd each night when I go to bed too! And of course if she wakes up I cuddle her until she screams to go back in the cot for a while and then put her back down grin

GordonsAlive Wed 24-Oct-12 22:35:51

YANBU I'm sat here looking at 14 week old DS in his Moses basket. He's still downstairs with us and we take him up when we go to bed grin and I can't go to sleep until I hear him wriggle (after I've usually spent ages procrastinating over whether to prod him!).

Going to start putting him up to bed in our room at the weekend <wibble> as he's getting a bit cramped in that basket!

Fairylea Wed 24-Oct-12 22:36:31

Aww I like threads like this smile so much misery in the world ... it's nice to hear people enjoying babies smile

Thanks for the congratulations. 4months is so lovely. He's all smiles and dribbles!

He's a silent sleeper so poke or prod is the only way! ... unless I got a mirror to hold uunder his nose!

ChunkyPickle Wed 24-Oct-12 22:36:48

YANBU - I still do it and he's 2. I put my hand on his chest or back and wait until I'm sure - even if he's in bed with me. I can't go back to sleep until I've checked (and looked at his grubby little angelic face)

ArtVandelay Wed 24-Oct-12 22:37:06

Emsy - my DS is/was big on sighs and grunting smile

PeggyCarter Wed 24-Oct-12 22:38:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now