Talk

Advanced search

To think you can't live next to a pub and takeaway then moan about noise and smell?

(56 Posts)
BrittaPerry Wed 24-Oct-12 22:02:06

There is a man in our local paper doing the sad face photo in front of the for sale sign on his house.

He claims he has had to reduce the price because of the noise and smells 'hell' from the local businesses.

Here are his complaints (all of which he has submitted though the proper channel and the local buinesses have had hassle for):

The two pubs in earshot have people smoking outside and have live music at weekends. (They are working mens club type places)

He put a special complaint in one Saturday in summer, when a pub had a family fundraising day. Bouncy castle in the car park, punch and judy, kids playing on the public playing field, bands playing inside the pub. £2000 raised for help for heroes.

The chip shop, indian takeaway and chinese restaurant smell and attract teengers

The care home and school cause parking issues.

The royal mail sorting office has traffic early in the morning.

Because of all this, he has had to reduce his asking price from £500,000 to 'only' £300,000. There are no other houses right in the village centre (only the flats over shops and the care home) and the entire town was built at around the time he bought his house in the seventies. His house is detached with a garden, but average price for a four bed semi in the mile radius is about £120,000, and none of those houses are smack bang in the middle of what isn't really a residential area...

Aibu to think he needs to just realise he is being daft, reduce the price to take into account where his house is and not just how big it is and move to the countryside?

Startailoforangeandgold Wed 24-Oct-12 22:04:29

YANBU
My DF used to live above a bakery and guess what, people appeared early in the morning and made her flat smell of bread!

PomBearWithAnOFRS Wed 24-Oct-12 22:05:58

His house sounds like my dream home! Pub and three kinds of takeaway all within stumbling distance - my idea of Heaven! grin

MikeOxardForHalloween Wed 24-Oct-12 22:08:51

Yab optimistic. If he moves to the countryside, he will be moaning about the smell of pigs/cowpats and the noise of farm vehicles. He needs to realise he isn't the centre of the universe!

AmazingBouncingFerret Wed 24-Oct-12 22:11:28

He's selling his house well isnt he.

BrittaPerry Wed 24-Oct-12 22:17:39

I know, I'm just hoping he has to reduce it more so we can afford it :-)

No roads to a playground and playing fields, kids can play out, really strong community, public transport to Newcastle in 20 minutes and Sunderland in 30, walking distance in about ten minutes to the local big shopping centre with five supermarkets, a library, health centre, bowling, etc, whilst still being part of a villagy community...

Joiningthegang Wed 24-Oct-12 22:31:24

Is therr a rightmove link - they seem to be the order of the day!

Ynbu - we used to live between 2 pubs and whilst sometimes irritating, the pubs were there before we moved in! Although we moved before the smoking ban which has made life much worse for local residents

MsVestibule Wed 24-Oct-12 22:40:14

I live opposite a social club/large pub and the noise really does piss me off! Taxis running their diesel engines for 15 mins and beeping their horns, drunk men and women screeching at 150 decibels, people being sick over our garden wall and urinating in the next door garden. A lot of this after midnight. Although TBH, the vomiting and urinating would probably annoy me whatever time of the day that happened wink.

So from my perspective, YABU. But if I was trying to sell my house, I don't think I'd advertise the problems quite as much as he has.

BrittaPerry Wed 24-Oct-12 22:45:46

Yep, it is actually a really nice house, I have just realised. Bargain. Still, it is where it is, and it was there when he bought it.

He would have been one of a very very few owner occupiers in the area in the seventies, and it is still one of the most deprived regions in the country.

Still...if you can afford it...

He listed it with three different estre agents too...

LynetteScavo Wed 24-Oct-12 22:50:52

The man is a food. No one will want to buy his house now. He'll be lucky to get £250K.

LynetteScavo Wed 24-Oct-12 22:51:23

The man is a fool.

Freudian slip! grin

MsVestibule Wed 24-Oct-12 23:05:25

This is the third AIBU thread I've been on today where there have been links to Rightmove!!! Are all of these posters Rightmove employees? Do they get paid per click/view?

<narrows eyes and informs MNHQ of my conspiracy theory>

stillsmilingafteralltheseyears Wed 24-Oct-12 23:09:03

I think pubs have got noisier of late though, I have lived next to a pub for ages and three major changes have made a massive difference - later hours, more people outside due to smoking ban and many more music/dj events.

When I first lived by the pub it was guaranteed to close at 11:20pm - now it can be 2am.

I put up with it cos I like living here but there is noise and then there is noise IYSWIM.

onetoomanytoo Wed 24-Oct-12 23:10:51

sounds like the chap down our way, he moved in to a lovely little cottage in church lane, then he complained to everyone who would listen that the church bells were disturbing him, the bells got banned in the end,

surely the clue might have been in the street name,

these types of people should bugger off and go and live in the middle of the moors, but they would only moan about the mess the sheep and ponies made!!

DeWe Wed 24-Oct-12 23:11:35

Depends. If the pub has changed what it does since he bought the house, I think he can have a little moan.

We lived oposite a pub. Wouldn't ever have complained about the noise up to 11pm as we knew when we bought it. However when they applied for a licence for up to 2am with live music we objected. As did most of the neighbourhood, so they didn't get it.

However very foolish to tell people why they don't want his house.

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Wed 24-Oct-12 23:16:52

YANBU the mans an idiot, who is going to want to buy the house now that he has told them the negative points of living there hmm

I live in a small hamlet, across the road from a pub, we moved in knowing there is a pub there so accept that sometimes its a bit noisy but I do get really pissed off when people stand in the car park having a loud conversation argument and slam car doors, beep car horns etc, its just common curtesy to not make that level of noise right outside peoples houses late at night isn't it?

BrittaPerry Wed 24-Oct-12 23:17:39

I actually really want to buy that house now...

redexpat Thu 25-Oct-12 08:01:17

It's a LOVELY house!

I get similarly cross with my mother. They bought a house opposite the local rugby/football club. There is one AGM per year per club. And she still complains about the noise. Grrr.

CwtchesAndCuddles Thu 25-Oct-12 08:20:01

I bought a house opposite a primary school - guess what, parking is a pain at school run times, who whould have thought it!

We go to a church on the edge of a housing estate. Church predates the house by at least 50 years - some of the householders have notices in their windows asking people not to park on the puplic road outside their houses! To be clear, they all have drives which are never blocked by members of the church but they expect the spaces on the public road to be left clear for them to use. Church is only used for a few hours a few times a week and was there when they bought the houses.

You can't please some people - making a fuss will mean a lower price for that house. The man is a fool!!!

Boomerwang Thu 25-Oct-12 08:23:49

YABU if he bought his house in the seventies then most of his complaints probably address more recent changes in the area.

Boomerwang Thu 25-Oct-12 08:26:21

MsVestibule I'm sure it's just that RightMove is a very popular site listing hundreds of properties.

AnitaBlake Thu 25-Oct-12 08:38:27

I know the area very well. Its not the nicest area either tbh. Its not the worst by any stretch but I wouldn't buy a house there for that much, even given its condition. His original asking price was very much pie in the sky, and I would imagine mire a what he hopes its worth.

In fairness, its entirely possible the character of the area has changed more than anyone could imagine since he bought it, as the whole village was developed as one in the mid-70s as part of the New Town, and Washington is s lot like Milton Keynes, but it was grafted onto the existing pit communities.

The takeaways aren't great, the school is fine but the pub isn't one I've ever been in. Its one if those music-dropping type ones, you have to work for years to be accepted. Public transport is quite good from there, the whole new town was designed to feed the cities. There's lots of little industrial estates with suppliers of pretty much everything.

There's no way that house would sell for half a million though!

Poledra Thu 25-Oct-12 08:44:36

Changes in pub management can make a lot of difference! When we first moved to our house, the pub was a nice quiet village pub. landlord retired, brewery put in a manager and dear god! the problems we had. DH got punched in the face for asking someone not to stand on the gas meter box smoking (the person had actually broken the lid and fractured a gas pipe, as we found out the next day), the window got broken and the bloke tried to kick our front door in. On another occasion, someone got their head put through our livingroom window and of course, all the participants in the fight legged it so we had to sort out the ambulance etc. And so it went on, until the licence review came up [evil smile]

It's much better now, back to being a family-friendly sort of place. The current manager has put in a petanque 'pitch' and it can be quite pleasant on a summer's evening listening to people laughing and the clink of the boules.

AnitaBlake Thu 25-Oct-12 08:52:23

The Duke has a similar character to all the village pubs in Washington. They are more of a social club atmosphere through the week, and then bands/ents on a weekend. The Stella social club used to be a popular wedding venue before the current trend for posh venues. Its probably quieter now than it was in the 80s/90s tbh. I certainly did my fair share of drunken shennanigans around there lol.

TheSkiingGardener Thu 25-Oct-12 09:07:28

Whether or not the pub has changed character, he has always lived somewhere with takeaways and other things tha make noise/smells hasn't he. It isn't as if they all popped up after he bought the house all of a sudden.

People always amaze me about this. We're I live there are 2 blocks of flats built with pubs on the ground floor, all very nice and the pubs were part of the plan. People bought the flats, then complained that the pubs were there. Idiots.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now