Talk

Advanced search

To take everyone to Scotland when ds has chicken pox

(83 Posts)
hokeycakey Wed 24-Oct-12 21:20:52

We have booked a lodge in Scotland from sat to Wednesday as a half term break but ds has come out in spots today.... He seems ok in himself but obviously has the pox

Should we still go away? Thoughts please!

HazeltheMcWitch Wed 24-Oct-12 21:21:47

How are you getting there?

hokeycakey Wed 24-Oct-12 21:22:10

We are driving

IHeartKingThistle Wed 24-Oct-12 21:22:25

This may kick off.

Is it just you in the lodge? No other guests? No public transport?

Sirzy Wed 24-Oct-12 21:23:40

Unless you plan on keeping him in the lodge you have booked for the whole break then you would be unreasonable to go.

Annoying as it is you can't take him out and about just because it fits with what you had wanted to do

hokeycakey Wed 24-Oct-12 21:24:03

Yes just us.... I know very contentious obviously would be rubbish if we can't go but wouldn't if it was the wrong thing to do

Everlong Wed 24-Oct-12 21:26:12

What about stopping at services for wees and food?

What's the point of being stuck in the lodge all that time? Cancel and rebook when he's better.

christmasmum Wed 24-Oct-12 21:26:32

I'd go, just keep him indoors and take it in shifts to go out exploring. I'd probably also take a relaxed view on country walks (if he's well enough) just steer clear of very populated places.

hokeycakey Wed 24-Oct-12 21:33:33

Is this the kind of thing travel insurance would cover. Thing is we are going to visit my brother so he could visit we could drive to his etc.... Think though I am just struggling to accept we won't get our holiday we've been looking forward to will have to get over it!

Everlong Wed 24-Oct-12 21:36:53

I don't know about cover.

I know it's disappointing when you've been looking forward to it, but all of mine have been poorly with chicken pox, it wasn't just a case of getting spots and it wouldn't be much fun looking after a poorly child.

What are the conditions with the lodge? Ring them.

missymoomoomee Wed 24-Oct-12 21:37:55

YWBVU to go I'm afraid. To go on holiday and keep him cooped up indoors without all of his toys and home comforts would be horrible for him, and if you took him out then you risk passing it onto someone else. I think you will have to rebook sad .

Mrsjay Wed 24-Oct-12 21:40:03

We have booked a lodge in Scotland from sat to Wednesday as a half term break but ds has come out in spots today.... He seems ok in himself but obviously has the pox

Should we still go away? Thoughts please

Don't bring them up here grin TBH i would stil go you are going to be in the car and going to the lodge the spots will have started to go crusty by saturday and if I remember right the virus will have gone by then ,

mrscumberbatch Wed 24-Oct-12 21:41:49

Which lodge so that we can avoid you like the plague wink

bureni Wed 24-Oct-12 21:48:48

This might just swing the Scottish independence vote grin

hokeycakey Wed 24-Oct-12 21:49:05

I'll never tell...,,,

Seriously thanks for advice I needed it as I have so far had mil "don't go" and DM "def go!" so rather confused!

TheHandbagOfGlory Wed 24-Oct-12 21:55:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sirzy Wed 24-Oct-12 21:57:21

how nice of you to spread it around handbag, I am sure anyone you came into who was immunosuppressed will be so pleased you decided to carry on as normal. angry

Mrsjay Wed 24-Oct-12 21:58:12

This might just swing the Scottish independence vote

yes keep the pox we dont want it grin

TheHandbagOfGlory Wed 24-Oct-12 21:58:52

Mrsjay Wed 24-Oct-12 22:01:00

Im confused mine are older so can't remember are children stil contagious when the spots come out and if so when do they stop being contagious

Bunnyjo Wed 24-Oct-12 22:02:54

Handbag, utterly irresponsible and idiotic angry

OP, Please reconsider, your DS may well become more ill as time passes and want to be round his home comforts. I mc'd at 12wk after being exposed to CP (suffered a hideous mc, complete with haemmorage and also contracted pneumonia - a known complication in adult CP), so threads like these really get me and I should probably hide them

cuppateaandagingersnap Wed 24-Oct-12 22:03:28

If he's come out in spots today, he'll not be infectious by Sunday - 5 days usually,so wouldn't unduly worry about spreading it, he may not be very comfortable in the car but a good dose of piriton might make it bearable for him.

Waswondering Wed 24-Oct-12 22:04:49

TBH I'd agree with someone upthread about it being less infectious by the weekend. If you're in the wilds, and aren't mingling with other people close up, I can't see the problem ... he'll have been more infectious in the last few days.

Maybe see how he goes in the next few days - if he's really miserable with it reconsider, but if he's breezy and able to sit in the car for the journey, then use your judgement.

When ds had pox we went to a deserted Scottish beach (we were the only ones there, and were accompanied by lashing rain and wind) so that ds could at least get out ....

Bunnyjo Wed 24-Oct-12 22:05:11

Mrsjay, you're infectious until the last spot has crusted over.

Handbag, seen your latest update. I hope you didn't come into contact with anyone who could have benn affected. My experience clouds my judgement and when I saw you say 'carried on as and when...' I assumed the worst.

TheHandbagOfGlory Wed 24-Oct-12 22:06:58

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now