Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To chuck this soup in the bin and stick a oven pizza in!

(33 Posts)
Inneedofbrandy Wed 24-Oct-12 17:54:01

Argh Iv'e been boiling the left over chicken carcus (however the fuck you spell it) all day, took the bones out and put the bits off chicken left on it back in. 3 potatoes 2 parsnips a carrot a leek and a onion. 1 garlic piece a tad of tomatoe puree, parmasan skin, salt pepper 2 stock cubes and thyme. It doesn't taste of anything nor is it thickening up urgh, I even bought suet to make suet dumplins. Why doesn't it taste of something! Might as well chuck it away and have pizza!

SoleSource Wed 24-Oct-12 17:55:20

We're having pizza too. Go for it, be a rebel!

Inertia Wed 24-Oct-12 17:57:21

Don't chuck it - that'd be a total waste ! Add a bit more pepper , garlic and stock cube. If you have loads of stock you might need more potato.

MySecretSelf Wed 24-Oct-12 17:58:04

Does this recipe help? You could puree your stock with some of the chicken then add the rest with peas to bulk it out? Maybe add some rice?

add a bit of lea and perrins and another stock cube, another onion an a handful of barley if you have it, blitz up when the barley softens just leaving a few chunks, then mix a bit of cornflour with water and stir into the hot soup to thicken or cheat and add a tin of ready made soup smile

Chuck barley and soup mix in, it'll thicken up!!

You might need more potatoes too smile

It'll do tomorrow if not ready for tonight!

Inneedofbrandy Wed 24-Oct-12 18:03:16

I have lee and perrins, don't have barley would red lentils do in its place or take to long? Adding another stock cube right now and another garlic thing (what are the segment thingys called from a balb?)

I don't really want to start blending my ds doesn't like pureed stuff and I want dumplins but thanks.

Solesource I am so tempted.

Startailoforangeandgold Wed 24-Oct-12 18:03:35

Garlic bread or cheese crotons, and lots of pepper.

PurplePidjInAPointyHat Wed 24-Oct-12 18:10:53

Take a ladle full out, mix to a paste with a tbsp plain flour, mix back in and boil furiously for 20 minutes.

Tsp curry powder to pep it up?

just add the garlic, more veg especially potatoes, thicken with the cornflour, add the lea and perrins, salt and pepper, if you are doing dumplings, put herbs and perhaps finely chopped onion and a bit of cheese in them so they add extra flavour

mmm yes to a teeny pinch of curry powder

NatashaBee Wed 24-Oct-12 18:13:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 24-Oct-12 18:14:01

Salt, it's always salt you need grin

Inneedofbrandy Wed 24-Oct-12 18:21:08

Iv'e put in another stock cube, a big potatoe chopped small, another garlic, more pepper and L&P and salt and some jamaican all purpose seasoning.

I thought you wern't supposed to boil stew/soup but let in gently bubble away and cook? I will do the paste thingy in 20 minutes if it doesn't look any different.

Cheesy dumplins sounds lush!

Inneedofbrandy Wed 24-Oct-12 18:21:43

Oh yes more salt mrsTP!

daffodillady Wed 24-Oct-12 18:28:58

The suet dumplings will thicken it.

lightrain Wed 24-Oct-12 18:33:32

I made my own chicken soup from homemade chicken stock and it was disgusting. I'm all for pizza, I had to chuck my soup away too.

LindyHemming Wed 24-Oct-12 18:34:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

halcyondays Wed 24-Oct-12 18:50:33

Gradually add a bit more salt, I find soup usually needs more salt than you think if it's a big pot and some more garlic.

Inneedofbrandy Wed 24-Oct-12 18:51:39

After more salt again it actually tastes ok, will add more L&P before serving. Got my cheesy dumplins on and it will be eaten, I was feeling all virtuous making my own stew from scratch don't think I'll bother again what a faff!

Forgot to say I added cabbage and mushrooms when I first panicked hopefully will go alright.

sounds good, how did it go down with the family?

valiumredhead Thu 25-Oct-12 12:24:53

I always add stock pots (fancy gel stock cubes) when I do a chicken carcass and I do it in the slow cooker.

cheekydevil Thu 25-Oct-12 12:37:55

Mc Dougalls thickening granules are my favourite cheat. And add a stock cube, the cabbage probably watered it down a bit?

Inneedofbrandy Thu 25-Oct-12 12:58:57

I went down really well thanks, especially the cheesy dumplings. Have leftovers for today to! Think the problem was I added to much water.

Valium I've made stock like that in the slow cooker before froze it and then my fridge/ freezer went so it all had to be chucked. Normally I use chicken bullion liquid or tesco gel pots. The stock cubes I used were damp and squishy from being in the back p the cupboard blush

BestestBrownies Thu 25-Oct-12 13:14:20

if you do decide to do it again <hopeful emoticon> may I suggest roasting the carcass with plenty of Spanish (white) onion & garlic first, then simmering the carcass for a good hour (lid on) with your chosen herbs & all the veggie peelings (celery leaves a must here). Then u will have a better base stock to add the rest of the ingredients to. Oh, & whizz the roasted onion & garlic before adding. HTH smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now