Talk

Advanced search

to think decorating the house for Halloween does not make me a nutter?

(31 Posts)
MrsKeithRichards Wed 24-Oct-12 16:59:35

I mean it's not totally over the top, in fact it's quite subtle really. Dh has registered his dislike and branded me nuts!

To be honest I think I'm missing my work. I'm on maternity leave, I work in a setting with disadvantaged young people and we always go all out for such occasions. I no outlet for my creativity right now!

MumsGoToReykjavik Wed 24-Oct-12 17:01:51

It's not nutty at all! Of course I am saying that because I make the living room into a spooky grotto complete with fake spiders and webs.

WorraLiberty Wed 24-Oct-12 17:02:02

Lots of people do it

It doesn't make you a nutter

BrianCoxIsEatingBrains Wed 24-Oct-12 17:03:38

nah, you are not nutter-esque.

If you are then it makes me one too!

I love doing the front room up for Halloween. Do it a few days before and take it all down on the 1st Nov. DD (8) loves it.

s'just a bit of fun int it!

SugariceAndScary Wed 24-Oct-12 17:03:58

I was still decorating the hall up til 2 years ago, mine are teenagers but they loved it grin and we have had great Halloween parties! Go for it.

MadCap Wed 24-Oct-12 17:04:12

I love it. Wish I had the time/energy/money to go all out thisyear. smile

MrsKeithRichards Wed 24-Oct-12 17:05:47

I'm contemplating a party but just getting over ds's birthday madness!

aldiwhore Wed 24-Oct-12 17:06:09

I go 'nuts' at every opportunity to decorate my house, and if someone says I'm nuts I take it as a compliment. Depending on how it's said of course. DH will roll his eyes, smile and say I'm a nutter - he means I'm eccentric and embracing of fun. I think other people genuinely think I'm not quite right, but that's their issue and they don't get invited.

carabos Wed 24-Oct-12 17:06:14

The spiders in my house have undertaken some self-directed decorating for Halloween!

SoleSource Wed 24-Oct-12 17:06:28

I think people whom object are miserable, snobby gits. Unless it is really OTT and you cannot see Eastenders on the telly smile

SoleSource Wed 24-Oct-12 17:07:13

Lol carabos

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Wed 24-Oct-12 17:07:32

YANBU.

MrsWolowitz Wed 24-Oct-12 17:08:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Catsmamma Wed 24-Oct-12 17:09:06

I do the porch, front step and go a bit mad with pumpkins All my children are teens now AND we live in the back of beyond with mostly OAP neighbours! The ones that do have children have family in town so they tend to go there.

AuscreemaAscare Wed 24-Oct-12 17:09:22

I'm doing it for the first time this year as a sort of compromise against having a Hallowe'en party! I didn't know that other people did it without having to entertain so if it makes me a nutter then I'm not the only one.

M&S still have their 3 for 2 mix and match sale on too smile

Adversecamber Wed 24-Oct-12 17:13:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsKeithRichards Wed 24-Oct-12 17:16:04

The pound shop is my friend!

I've always loved Halloween and actually had no idea people objected to it until reading it n on netmums a couple of years ago.

Dh did say it in an eye rolling good hearted kind of way!

solidgoldbrass Wed 24-Oct-12 17:16:37

I do stuff around the porch and garden to indicate to the local kids that yes, we are up for trick-or-treaters.

WaitingForMe Wed 24-Oct-12 17:21:23

I did a bit this year - pumpkins on mantlepiece, hung bats from light in dining room, jelly letters from £1 shop that say "Happy Halloween" and "Trick or Treat" on window and mirror. The DSSs came in and were enthralled. It really really isn't very impressive but they absolutely loved it. This is my license to go all out from hereafter and they WILL love it when they are teenagers and try to bring their friends back and I jump out in a witches hat grin

SoleSource Wed 24-Oct-12 17:52:55

no need for make up tben just the hat waiting-grin (couldn't resistsorry)

lunar1 Wed 24-Oct-12 17:58:05

I do the porch, door and outside beams. Only takes ten mins. We do lots of pumpkins too

HappyMummyOfOne Wed 24-Oct-12 18:45:52

I love halloween especially the trick or treaters in their cute costumes. Shall be decorating and buying sweets galore smile

MrsKeithRichards Wed 24-Oct-12 22:34:14

I've had to relent and back up a bit as the cobwebs above the fire were in danger of going on fire!

MurderOfGoths Thu 25-Oct-12 00:10:11

YANBU at all!

Although I can't afford it this year, normally I go all out for Hallowe'en. Can't wait till we live somewhere with a front garden so I can do a display out the front!

StuntGirl Thu 25-Oct-12 00:32:15

Not nutty, I love it!

I bought an amazing trick or treating bowl in the shape of a skull, it's motion sensitive and when you stick your hand in to grab sweets the eyes light up, it makes a noise and a moving skeleton hand pops out the back. I can't wait to shit some kids up! grin

Our house is currently adorned with black table cloths, 'blood splattered' sheets, pumpkins, candles, rubber bats and plastic spiders...I love it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now