Talk

Advanced search

Piss take waiting in A&E for an very very long time,

(380 Posts)
SubwayAllTheWay Wed 24-Oct-12 15:57:40

I had a very sore neck, couldnt move it and was getting shooting pains every 5 mins. As I was near the hospital, I went in at 11am today. I was seen at 3pm. So i had to wait for nearly four hours with shooting pains to the point I had to leave the A&E reception to shout out my pain.

AIBU that this time takes the mick? I know ambulances have priority but If it takes that long, I would have phoned for an ambulance because then atleast i would get seen early.

It took the piss because there were people who seemed to be happy, able to walk but a sore wrist and they got seen after an hour of being there.

I didnt go to the doctors as i was in so much pain i thought i might faint and A&E seemed better idea as they could do a scan and find out the cause.

DameMargotFountain Wed 24-Oct-12 15:58:37

did you see triage on your arrival at A&E?

Everlong Wed 24-Oct-12 16:00:16

4 hours sounds about right. It is a pain in the neck, quite literally for you, but there's nothing you can do.

Hope you are feeling better, what was it?

ExitPursuedByAaaaaarGhoul Wed 24-Oct-12 16:00:55

Did they find out what was wrong?

I think you would BU for calling an ambulance for a sore neck. Unless you had fallen off a ladder, or a horse, or a cliff, resulting in a sore neck.

4 hours is pretty standard waiting time in A&E, in my experience.

Kormachameleon Wed 24-Oct-12 16:01:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dreamingofthefuture Wed 24-Oct-12 16:03:09

I used to think like you and get annoyed at the waiting time but having been on the other side of the resus room last year now I am so glad I was treated before the person with the sore neck else I would not be here now. I have always been impatient but will always now try and see the flip side of the situation

SubwayAllTheWay Wed 24-Oct-12 16:04:46

Its not free care, we pay for it by being heavily taxed

It was emergency. I was having shooting pains in my neck and had to go out of reception to shout it out as everyone was lookiing at me. I would put that as an emergency. I couldnt move my neck. I couldnt even drink a glass of water all that time as i couldnt handle the pain from moving my neck

NettoSpookerstar Wed 24-Oct-12 16:05:11

YABU.
I've been rushed in more than once, with life threatening asthma.
If your neck had been treated first I'd be dead.

gordyslovesheep Wed 24-Oct-12 16:05:22

well you could have seen your gp or taken pain killers

after 4 hours did they diagnose a broken neck or just advise you to rest and take pain killers

seriously 4 hours is about right unless the pain was caused by a 7" knife blade

Crinkle77 Wed 24-Oct-12 16:05:50

YABU. They see people in order of priority so what makes you think you're injury is more sever than anyone else's.

Bossybritches22 Wed 24-Oct-12 16:06:20

Yes waiting in reception like that you don't see the scurrying around "backstage" at A&E when ambulances come in & trolley patients get priority over walking wounded.

Bloody annoying true but although you were in pain it wasn't an A&E priority sorry, at other times you might have been lucky if the ambulance bay was quiet.

Hope it eases.

SubwayAllTheWay Wed 24-Oct-12 16:06:49

I also understand that there are other life threating emergencies and accidents coming through. But four hours is a very long time, especially as others who come in with a "suspected" sprain come in, sit for an hour and then get seen.

dreamingofthefuture Wed 24-Oct-12 16:06:53

It was a horrible experience for you and yes you were in a lot of pain and I fully agree that we pay towards the care with out taxes but you were seen and at the end of the day how would you feel if a & e operated a "first come first served" policy and in the time it took to see you sombody passed away

DawnOfTheDee Wed 24-Oct-12 16:06:56

What did they diagnose your problem as then?

Tbh it sounds as though YABU - presumably you went through triage and were seen at the appropriate time.

FrankensteinWippery Wed 24-Oct-12 16:07:40

An emergency? Hardly.

akaemmafrost Wed 24-Oct-12 16:07:49

Sorry you're in pain but that doesn't sound excessive to me.

LadyMaryCreepyCrawley Wed 24-Oct-12 16:08:15

I had a haemorrhage a few weeks ago and was in A&E for 4 hours, then another 4 hours in a gynae waiting room. It's normal, sadly. I didn't drop in as I was passing though, the GP did a 999 jobie. I'd rather have had a sore neck, I'd have gone to the chiropractor.

gordyslovesheep Wed 24-Oct-12 16:08:19

they can't have felt it was as urgent or serious as you think it was then - did you take anything for the pain?

SubwayAllTheWay Wed 24-Oct-12 16:09:13

He said it was a trapped nerve and that they would organise a scan but it would be a 2 to 3 hour wait for that. I just took my medicines and left. I couldnt face waiting around for that time having waited for 4 hours before.

dreamingofthefuture Wed 24-Oct-12 16:09:21

The "suspected sprain" probably don't need an xray which presumably you had, therefore reducing their waiting time.

Pickles101 Wed 24-Oct-12 16:09:22

YABU, like others have said, 4 hours is about right. Also, ambulance patients aren't given priority just because they come in via ambo, they are still triaged. Chest pains are the highest priority AFAIK?

Anyway, hope your neck feels better soon.

lisad123 Wed 24-Oct-12 16:09:35

You don't get in quicker by arriving via ambulance BTW. They are triaged same as everyone else unless its emergency.
You should have gone to GP, if you could sit there for four hours it wasn't that urgent.
I have say there for hours before in pain after falling down the stairs, yes painful but not urgent but did require X-ray.

However after major car accident, dd2 with breathing problems, me with heart problems and dh with neutropia they were very quick.

Moral of story is, if its emergency you WILL be seen quickly, if not you wait, it's called proprieties

ExitPursuedByAaaaaarGhoul Wed 24-Oct-12 16:09:44

So what was it?

ExitPursuedByAaaaaarGhoul Wed 24-Oct-12 16:10:31

A trapped nerve is not, by any definition, an emergency.

YABU

dreamingofthefuture Wed 24-Oct-12 16:11:05

Sorry posted my last reply as you did, so, you were there with an emergency, in agony, were offered a scan which you did not take, YABU now clearly not an emergency or else you would have waited however long

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now