Talk

Advanced search

To just take oil instead of wine

(10 Posts)
Loveweekends10 Wed 24-Oct-12 15:09:15

I've been invited round to my brothers for dinner next weekend. Every time I go I take wine but they always look at it. Make an mm sound and put it to one side and drink their own.
I think it's so bloody rude. Even when they have their friends at the meal they mm as well. They are £10 bottles of wine. Not Lambrusco! So this time I'm going to take some olive oil and I'm going to say. I thought you would prefer this to the wine I bring as that never gets drunk.
AIBU?

pongysticks Wed 24-Oct-12 15:10:20

do it!

Sastra Wed 24-Oct-12 15:10:22

I think it's a nice, thoughtful idea.

IWishIWasAFrog Wed 24-Oct-12 15:11:20

Choccies? Flowers?

Perhaps they know you have impeccable taste and save your wine for when they are alone smile

WeatherWitch Wed 24-Oct-12 15:13:11

You could perhaps be a little more tactful, along the lines of "I thought that this might make a nice change from the usual boring bottle of wine". Actually I'd love it if someone brought me a good bottle of olive oil instead of wine - and the cost for a good bottle of oil is pretty similar to a decent wine anyway so YANBU.

Rollmops Wed 24-Oct-12 15:14:50

Perhaps they have chosen wine to go with food they are serving? I never open wine that has been brought as a gift; always plan wine and food that compliment each other.

EmmelineGoulden Wed 24-Oct-12 15:14:59

YANBU excatly.

It's not bad manners to serve your own wine instead of the presents guests bring you. They ought to sound like they appreciate it though - the mm is rude.

It's supposed to be a present, not a contribution to the meal. So a nice bottle of olive oil would be a lovely gift I would think. Or some flowers. Or a box of chocolates.

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Wed 24-Oct-12 15:15:11

If you are taking oil you have to take vinegar too.

We have an amazing shop near us that does different flavours of oils and vinegars, and they let you try different combinations. They aren't expensive if you buy little bottles and they make a fab dinner party gift. Maybe you could do something like that instead?

fromparistoberlin Wed 24-Oct-12 15:16:45

LOL at outraged! its the LAW!!!

yanbu, think thats a lovely idea, but get good stuff

honeytea Wed 24-Oct-12 15:20:17

I think you should take a bottle of wee.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now