Talk

Advanced search

That a baby wipe classed as "extra sensitive" and can be used on newborns

(64 Posts)
Bimbledorf Wed 24-Oct-12 13:08:59

shouldn't make my face break out in a rash and feel like my face was on fire?!

I don't have sensitive skin normally and use all kinds of different facial cleansers / wipes and last night decided to use the 97% pure water Johnson and Johnson baby wipes to take my make up off with.

I have even read a study about them:
www.manchester.ac.uk/aboutus/news/display/?id=8350
which shows that they are as safe as using water.

Stocked up on 10 packs yesterday at Sainsburys as only a £1 a pack, for newborn - but if they do that to my face do I actually want to use them on a brand new baby's bum?

Anyone else have a problem with them?

nannyl Wed 24-Oct-12 13:12:13

i wouldnt use baby wipes on a newborn

DD is 14months and we havent even finished a 2nd pack of wipes yet.... only used when away on holiday without access to a washing machine. She was over 6m before a wipe touched her skin

cloth wipes and water wherever we are, while we are near a washing machine.

I hate them, they make my face sting too, so no want will i wipe them on a new born baby

YouOldSlag Wed 24-Oct-12 13:13:28

Huggies Pure were recommended by a midwife and used by me on my newborns without so much as a blemish.

Iheartpasties Wed 24-Oct-12 13:14:31

wet wipes on your face? seriuosly?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 24-Oct-12 13:18:35

No you don't want to use them on a brand new babies bum. Plain water only :-)

Bimbledorf Wed 24-Oct-12 13:21:28

I've used wet wipes on my face before with absolutely no problems, Iheart, I don't do it as a matter of routine, but my point is that if something has been "proven" to be as safe as using water on a newborn, why would my adult face react so badly? I do wonder what is in the 3% remainder of ingredients - as 97% is pure water.

I honestly wouldn't have written this post about any other baby wipe, just the fact that this one is supposed to be safe for newborns when the general advice nowadays is not to use baby wipes till babies are older.

FunnysInLaJardin Wed 24-Oct-12 13:24:22

I've always used normal wipes on my babies without any problem. Water and cotton woll is a huge faff. I'd avoid the ones you've bought though if they have brought you out in a rash.

cluelessnchaos Wed 24-Oct-12 13:26:59

Cotton wool pads and baby lotion here, wipes are used for travelling and I find are rubbish and leave skin dry with all the alcohol in them, definitely wouldn't use on a newborn

StateofConfusion Wed 24-Oct-12 13:28:43

Johnsons wipes are awful, my dcs don't react to anything except those, and when wiping painty finger prints off the bathroom sink and wall it stripped the fecking paint with the fingerprints.

Huggies pure or pampers sensitive are much better.

SchrodingersMew Wed 24-Oct-12 13:30:57

I found the simple ones burn like hell. I have stopped using them now.

Quite like the Hunnies ones I got in that strange hamper though, they feel lufley and like they have moisturiser in them.

bulletwithspookybatwings Wed 24-Oct-12 13:31:04

I used baby wipes on ds from birth, I always use them to take my make up off. Never had any skin problems. I use pampers sensitive or tesco ultra soft fragrance free.
Johnson are rubbish mainly because they smell of poo.

SchrodingersMew Wed 24-Oct-12 13:31:39

I used the water wipes at birth though as I didn't trust normal wipes when DS was that tiny.

cjbk1 Wed 24-Oct-12 13:43:51

To answer the question rather than get into an argument; yes we'v had a problem with them..they made dd's skin on her tummy red and flaking yet when we use actual water and cotton pads there's no problem.shes 6wk now x

MummyPig24 Wed 24-Oct-12 13:46:49

I don't like the johnsons ones, too harsh. pampers sensitive in the white packet seems the gentlest i have.used.

YouOldSlag Wed 24-Oct-12 13:52:44

Huggies Pure are just water, no alcohol. I couldn't get on with tiny cotton wool balls at all and Huggies Pure did not affect their skin at all.

WelshMaenad Wed 24-Oct-12 14:05:46

Huggies pure wipes are NOT just water! They're packed with fucking chemicals!

Curtsey Wed 24-Oct-12 14:13:13

Johnson's products in general seem incredibly harsh. I think one of their 'gentle' bath washes was the cause of DD breaking out in eczema. I used the rest of the bottle up as handwash and it makes my hands feel dry! Wouldn't use the wipes even on an older baby though I do use wipes quite a bit. Boots do a decent sensitive, unfragranced range.

aldiwhore Wed 24-Oct-12 14:16:13

I use all manner of wet wipes on my face...

I used them on my newborns too.

I'm not saying I was RIGHT or that they're not full of nasties (hindsight is great) but none of us have suffered ill affects.

EXTRA sensitive really should never make a face or arse sting though and for that, YANBU.

sweetkitty Wed 24-Oct-12 14:16:50

Cotton wood and water won't get the meconium off though. After DD1 I've always used Tesco's own label sensitive wipes 4 packs for £3.70 much cheaper than the brands even on offer.

EldritchCleavage Wed 24-Oct-12 14:17:30

If you need a gentle wipe then I've found the Simple ones are good, though not stocked everywhere. Big branches of Boots and large supermarkets have them.

YouOldSlag Wed 24-Oct-12 14:18:25

Welsh- well not all chemicals are bad and they were very gentle on my baby's bottoms.

kissyfur Wed 24-Oct-12 14:19:32

I'd take all the unopened ones back to the shop if you still have the receipt!! I use the Asda fragrance free ones now but used water and cotton wool when DD was a baby

Sossiges Wed 24-Oct-12 14:20:00

The best wipes were WaterWipes, 99.9% water and 1% grapefruit seed extract IIRC and I used those from 3 months, on bottoms, faces, never had a problem with them. I believe they've changed now, though, in that the wipe material isn't as good.
Asda used to do Shea butter ones which were very good too but they don't make them any more.
I wouldn't use any other wipes, they all have too many added ingredients.
But to answer your question, no they shouldn't give you a rash and I certainly wouldn't use them on a baby. Take them back and get a refund.

Mamuss Wed 24-Oct-12 14:25:01

The ONLY wipes I have discovered, and I've pretty much tried them all, on my sensitive boy are....boots own brand. No problems whatsoever on bottom faces everywhere smile

CelstialNavigation Wed 24-Oct-12 14:37:09

Johnson's stuff is awful and I don't know how they get away with all their "no tears" "extra sensitive" advertising - to me, that implies they are not actually using many harsh chemicals.

They have a longer list of nasty chemicals than most other brands in their shampoos for example.

Then they add in more chemicals to dilute/balance the harsh effect so it doesn't cause your eyes/skin to react as much. Hence the "sensitive" bit. But you're still putting a lot of chemicals on your skin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now