Talk

Advanced search

to find not having a shower in your house a bit weird.

(119 Posts)
JackThePumpkinKing Wed 24-Oct-12 07:49:36

Watching Beeny last night reminded me of this (weird flat with bath in bedroom in front of the windows, but no shower).

We've been veiwing houses and I'm really confused by the number of them that don't have a proper shower that you can actually stand up in. Just those pointless shower heads propped up just above the taps (what are they for ?)

Do people without showers have a bath every day? confused

Greythorne Wed 24-Oct-12 07:51:16

Yes, I have a bath every day. Why do you find that weird?

SpottyTeacakes Wed 24-Oct-12 07:51:22

I have a bath every day. Can't afford to put a shower in so YABU.

NakedButNotFamous Wed 24-Oct-12 07:51:31

I grew up without a shower. I survived. Baths do clean you, you know.

catgirl1976 Wed 24-Oct-12 07:51:54

MIL only has a bath hmm

I hate staying at hers for this reason and many more

Plus she allocates you a time for your morning bath and it takes fecking ages for three adults to complete thier morning ablutions in this manner

It's wrong. Wrong I tells ya

Greythorne Wed 24-Oct-12 07:52:19

We live in a very old house (build mid 1850s) and our bathroom is tiny, no space to add a shower. So we have baths.

WofflingOn Wed 24-Oct-12 07:52:56

It must be a generational thing, I'm shocked by flats that only have a shower room!
I have both now, but in the old days I had a bath three times a week and a thorough wash the rest of the time. Now I mix and match.
In the 60s, a bath a week was the norm, with washing in a basin the rest of the week.

catgirl1976 Wed 24-Oct-12 07:53:16

How do people have time to have a bath every morning? confused

HeinousHecate Wed 24-Oct-12 07:54:01

Yes. My parents don't have a shower.

Most houses didn't. Showers are fairly new things. grin

They just use the bath. I don't think they've ever given it any thought.

They did have one of those shower things that attached to taps - for washing your hair. Clean water is better than soapy bathwater.

I really wouldn't say it's weird to not have one.

WofflingOn Wed 24-Oct-12 07:54:14

DH does, takes 25 minutes or so. he gets up later than the rest of us.

BedHog Wed 24-Oct-12 07:54:27

The shower heads are for washing hair - at least that's all I use mine for. I haven't had a shower for months, and much prefer baths, so I wouldn't want to live in a house without a bath. No shower wouldn't bother me.

poocatcherchampion Wed 24-Oct-12 07:54:34

We have a shower and I use it maybe once a week. It'd standalone and quite lovely. I'm all about the baths and have one every day or every other, almost always with the baby in too. Mat leave is a good life!

Makeminealarge Wed 24-Oct-12 07:54:36

Erm, yes. As long as people wash what does it matter?! When I rented, the house didn't have a shower so I used a shower attachment- helped to wash my hair when I didn't actually need a bath. My sis loves baths and never showers whereas I love showers and rarely find the time to soak in a bath! grin

Petsinmyputridpudenda Wed 24-Oct-12 07:54:43

Of corse alot of houses don't have showers, somehave room for a shower or rent, can't afford to install so have a bath everyday Do you think these dirty peasents don't wash?

Inneedofbrandy Wed 24-Oct-12 07:54:57

I don't have a shower, can't afford for one to be put in and the water pressure is to shit to have a tap one. I have a bath at least once a day and would say baths get you cleaner then showers.

poocatcherchampion Wed 24-Oct-12 07:56:20

Agree it's generational too, rubbish shower at my parents do we all have baths, husbands and bfs all choose the shower.

HoobleDooble Wed 24-Oct-12 07:56:44

I find houses with showers but no baths weirder, we're looking at moving and get really fed up when we see a lovely house, then see the words 'shower room'. I have a shower every day, and a bath once in a blue moon but couldn't imagine not having one. You can buy those attachments to go on the taps for rinsing your hair etc, bu can't lie down in a shower when you have a bad back and want a nice soak.

AmberLeaf Wed 24-Oct-12 07:57:30

I have both now, but in the past only a bath or a bath with shower hose [to wash hair]

Some houses dont have the space!

AmberLeaf Wed 24-Oct-12 07:57:59

Yes and a house with no bath is wierd.

crazycanuck Wed 24-Oct-12 07:58:21

I find it utterly bizarre too, but then again I am Canadian and there's not the thriving bath culture there that there is here in the UK! I always have a bit of a hmm moment when booking places to stay when we go on holiday in England or Scotland (we are in the Channel Islands) and the property lists having a stand-up shower as a selling point! I would have thought it was a standard feature, until I lived here for the past decade.

Fairylea Wed 24-Oct-12 07:58:39

We have both but in our old house we only had a bath and couldn't afford a shower. I actually prefer a bath.

As for the time.... older style baths fill up very quickly. So if you start running it while finishing your tea / getting clothes out ready etc it really doesn't take much longer than a shower!

catgirl1976 Wed 24-Oct-12 07:59:56

Shower in the morning for waking up, getting clean, etc

Bath in the evening for relaxing, reading book, chilling out

It is the law. <gavel>

poorbuthappy Wed 24-Oct-12 08:01:10

My parents and my PILS have got rid of their baths and have massive shower enclosures instead.
We, on the other hand, have 2 over the bath showers.

diddl Wed 24-Oct-12 08:02:11

We couldn´t afford to all bath every day-even if there was time!!

Well, maybe if we all used the same water!!

Binkyridesagain Wed 24-Oct-12 08:02:25

We have a shower over the bath, I rarely use it as I can't stand the feel of the water on my skin, the rest of the household do though. I much prefer to soak in a very hot bath, plus I can wash my feet without falling over.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now