Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To not go to DH christmas party?

(26 Posts)
mosschops30 Tue 23-Oct-12 20:50:39

Hes just told me the date of his xmas party which is ridiculously at the beginning of December.
Ive planned a trip away and get back the same day.
If i drive from the airport i wont get there til 11pm
I could change my flight which will probably get me there for 8pm but will still have to get ready etc.

I either cancel whole trip and lose money on flights and miss out on a good work opportunity, or i can drive down and pick him up late after my flight.

But all the wives and partners normally go, last year was very boring. Feel bad not going but dont really mibd IYKWIM

AIBU to not go? WWYD?

MoonlightandWerewolves Tue 23-Oct-12 20:52:17

YABU - counting in getting ready time if you don't change your flights means probably after midnight in arriving to the party.

You've already booked something for work, so think that's a legitimate reason not to go.

Teeb Tue 23-Oct-12 20:53:05

Nah, he'll survive on his own.

You should go and enjoy your trip.

diddl Tue 23-Oct-12 20:53:16

Me? I wouldn´t go.

I´ve never been to one of husband´s.

I haven´t the slightest interest tbh.

We are all too far apart to see each other other than once a year.

CBA!

mosschops30 Tue 23-Oct-12 20:54:51

I wouldnt join the party at 11pm i meant picking him up

NatashaBee Tue 23-Oct-12 20:59:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SoleSource Tue 23-Oct-12 21:06:56

Yanbu at all.

pictish Tue 23-Oct-12 21:08:00

Yanbu - I wouldn't go either.

BlueberryHill Tue 23-Oct-12 21:12:35

Why do you need to pick him up? Are you passing or something?

flyoverthegoldenhill Tue 23-Oct-12 21:31:35

You are lucky to have the perfect excuse not to go, so what is the problem ?

squeakytoy Tue 23-Oct-12 21:33:02

Dont go.. he wont be the only one there without a partner I imagine..

mosschops30 Tue 23-Oct-12 21:34:54

grin at perfect excuse to not go.
Years ago it was fun when all the lovely wives were there, now I end up sat next to some insipid nightmare and jut drink lots to kill the boredom.
He needs to be home because ds1 has something special the next day

flyoverthegoldenhill Tue 23-Oct-12 21:46:36

mosschops I think I've found the perfect excuse too - I'll tell him I'm babysitting for you ! <I always end up with the numpty too>

mudipig Tue 23-Oct-12 21:54:27

Perfect excuse not to go. Aren't these just the most awkward social events in the world?

shrinkingnora Tue 23-Oct-12 21:59:59

Having hideous flashbacks here to having to drive five hours each way and fork out for a hotel in order to go to DH's Christmas parties which were full of drunken orange women and lily savage impersonaters. I always wore the wrong thing and grimly drank all night. Horrible.

SrirachaGhoul Tue 23-Oct-12 22:13:10

Why do you have to pick him up? Can he not get a cab?

DH is a partner so I'm usually obliged to go to these things as they all sit together (vomit) and I'm not fortunate enough to have an excuse as good as yours grin. I used to dread going but I've tried to loosen up over the last few years, by having a glass of wine or two before going which helps a lot. I've observed that everyone is trashed about 20 minutes after start of event anyway which also, strangely, decreases my anxiety.

mosschops30 Wed 24-Oct-12 11:33:41

It's over an hour from where we live so he can't get a cab. He will either have to stay or I pick him up

diddl Wed 24-Oct-12 11:39:34

No car or public transport?

gordyslovesheep Wed 24-Oct-12 11:42:27

Can he not drive himself?

eurowitch Wed 24-Oct-12 11:53:23

Nope, definitely not unreasonable in those circumstances.

I'm not sure why people are objecting so much to the idea that the OP might go and pick up her husband after his Christmas party. Isn't it normal to do that? I used to go and pick up my Dad from his once I got a car as my mum doesn't drive. In return, he would not drink and pick me up on Xmas Eve or NYE. smile

gordyslovesheep Wed 24-Oct-12 11:57:05

Not normal for me ...I have no husband to pick me up so I drive myself

diddl Wed 24-Oct-12 12:50:11

I think I´m a bit confused tbh.

If OP wants to collect her husband on the way from the airport-unless not getting there until 11 is a problem-fine.

If she doesn´t after a flight home-fine!

And if she doesn´t-why is his driving/getting himself home a problem?

mosschops30 Wed 24-Oct-12 16:59:21

I'm not sure why anyone would want to drive home from their Xmas party. I plan on getting hammered at mine so will deffo be a lift from Dh.
Thing is I need him home at a reasonable time the following day so would prefer him not to stay over, but no biggy really

diddl Wed 24-Oct-12 17:17:54

Well my husband does.

No way would I drive for an hour to fetch him just so that he can drink.

mosschops30 Wed 24-Oct-12 18:36:43

Really? Driving doesn't bother me and he'll return the favour

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now