Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be concerned that upstairs neighbours have got a puppy JUST as we put our flat on the market?

(18 Posts)
emeraldgirl1 Tue 23-Oct-12 13:05:32

It's an adorable puppy, don't get me wrong. Golden lab, my absolute favourite.

Also our neighbours are nice and (generally) very, very quiet and unobtrusive.

But we will be having prospective buyers show up any day now and the puppy has spent ALL day these past two days barking and whimpering, and I can hear it in every room (and my hearing isn't razor-sharp btw)

No matter that I'm trying to work and it's driving me nuts angry - I am much more concerned that it may put off potential buyers.

We're in London so people who are looking at flats have to be aware they have to put up with noise from other flats - right? And also, you could buy a flat and then any old noisy bugger could move in above or below, so in one sense (am trying to talk myself down from anxiety here) maybe sensible people won't be put off?

Or will they...??!!!

emeraldgirl1 Tue 23-Oct-12 13:06:51

Oh and on a separate note - is it just me or are they crazy to have a labrador in a very small flat with no garden in London? We would love a dog but are waiting until we have more space and a proper garden to get one.

smalltown Tue 23-Oct-12 13:08:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Phacelia Tue 23-Oct-12 13:08:34

I'm sure it will be fine.

Don't worry.

As you said, London flats can be noisy, whoever buys it will probably be out at work all day anyway so not hear it. Is it noisy in the evenings? Can you do viewings then? If they are quiet neighbours in every other way that's what the EA can stress to viewers.

Puppies aren't puppies for long, just get the EA to say it's a new puppy. Poor thing though; it sounds like it's being left all day alone which is really not on.

Phacelia Tue 23-Oct-12 13:09:18

I wouldn't get that breed of dog with no garden, no. Unless there's a whopping great park around the corner and miles of walks for it.

emeraldgirl1 Tue 23-Oct-12 13:11:03

Phacella it's not been noisy in the evenings so far, no. Yes, am hoping the fact that most people are out at work all day will be a plus point.

emeraldgirl1 Tue 23-Oct-12 13:11:36

smalltown - I haven't checked the lease... will do that later, thanks. I don't remember anything about that, though...

ElectricMonk Tue 23-Oct-12 13:15:13

Depending on how well you get along with your neighbours, could you possibly explain the situation and arrange for them or (if you all feel comfortable with it) you/your partner to walk the dog during viewings?

The noise probably will reduce with time since the puppy is just settling in, but I'm not so sure that will be the case if they're out all day and the poor thing is bored, cramped up and lonely...

emeraldgirl1 Tue 23-Oct-12 13:17:25

The female half of neighbours doesn't work (at least, not very much, or she works from home) so she is in fact there with the dog much of the day - doesn't seem to quieten it down much though.

I guess it would be a good idea to talk to them about viewings and see what we can arrange - issue is though that (in this area) EAs tend to just bring people to view at quite short notice, so it might not be viable to get the neighbours to walk it in that timeframe...

oldraver Tue 23-Oct-12 13:21:48

My weird neighbour fell out with me as my DS wouldn't play with hers.... she put her house on the market then so did we a few weeks later and TWICE when we had viewers round she played ....all that she wants is another baby..... at top volume. Viewers did ask if it was par for the course.

What neighbour didnt know was we had sold to a developer so I didnt give too hoots about it grin

ScarePhyllis Tue 23-Oct-12 13:21:57

If one of them is there most of the time it will eventually settle. Unlike the lab puppy my neighbours got which was left alone all day and cried and cried for months ...

whois Tue 23-Oct-12 13:25:27

I wouldn't buy a flat if I could hear a dog constantly barking when I viewed. Sorry sad

emeraldgirl1 Tue 23-Oct-12 13:25:36

Thanks phyllis

oldraver - your neighbour sounds bizarre...

emeraldgirl1 Tue 23-Oct-12 13:26:05

whois - yes, that is what concerns me... I don't know if I would either.

emeraldgirl1 Tue 23-Oct-12 13:28:21

Also, again, is it just me, but I think I would probably have said something to my neighbours if we were getting a puppy... the first I knew of this was all the barking a couple of days ago and then met the (very cute) dog when I chatted to the neighbour outside this morning briefly. I'm not saying they should have asked for permission, obv, but I think I might have mentioned it, just to let someone know... AIBU?

Sorry, am being ratty about it now cos the noise is getting on my nerves!!!

horsebiscuit Tue 23-Oct-12 13:29:33

I wouldn't buy your flat, sorry. A puppy moved upstairs from us and it was a bloody nightmare, paws skittering around and barking day and night. sad
Definitely check your lease. We're not allowed a pet here- hurrah!

allthatglittersisnotgold Tue 23-Oct-12 13:35:09

You are and aren't being unreasonable. We have a dog (upstairs flat) and neighbours have a very hyper cat (downstairs). I don't think we are meant to have pets. (We both own, but some wording on our ancient joint lease says no pets). She barks very occassionally and we tell her to be quiet instantly. I hear their cat running around on wooden floors a lot. However they are very nice neighbours and if we ever had a problem we would go and talk to them, and them to us. I would hate to think our dog disturbed anyone. By the sounds of it having nice neighbours is far more important than the puppy issue. Why not talk to them? Let them know the situation? Personally in London a "nice" neighbour with a dog would certainly not bother me, and the majority of people I know are out at work during the day. Silence is golden in London and I don't think people expect it as a given.

cumfy Tue 23-Oct-12 13:44:16

Just post a big juicy bone through their letterbox as viewers arrive.grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now