Talk

Advanced search

To think, that if I am getting paid for doing something, then it is a bloody job ?

(26 Posts)
TheOriginalNutcracker Tue 23-Oct-12 11:54:16

I'm a single mum of 3 and I am so sick of people telling me 'yeh but that's not a job really is it', when I say that I am a part time childminder.

I only mind over 8's, and only before and after school, and currently that means I only have my friends dd, from 6:50am til school, and then from school until 5.

The reason for this is that my elder dd is awaiting spinal surgery, and not only has regular appointments, but is also down to be called in at short notice. Also my ds has problems relating to school, and I often get calls to go in and collect him. Dd2 is also having extensive orthodontic treatment and has a lot of appointments for that.

I was signing on, but hated it, and couldn't find a normal job to fit in with all of the above, and so I am doing this. I am registered as SE, and have to file a tax return, despite not earning anywhere near enough to pay any tax, so surely that is a job fgs.

For some reason though people seem to think that I don't have a job. Even relatives keep saying 'when are you going to get a job then' or if you had a proper job'.

I'd love a 'proper' job, but i doubt any employer would be happy for me to keep popping off for apointments every week or so, or to start and then tell them I need 8 weeks off because dd is having her surgery.

HeinousHecate Tue 23-Oct-12 11:57:27

<hard stare> Well, I get paid money for it, so yes, I rather think it is" <hard stare becomes death stare, daring them to respond>

grin

And no, you are not being unreasonable. Money in exchange for services = JOB

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Tue 23-Oct-12 11:59:03

Child minding IS a proper job.

Pandsbear Tue 23-Oct-12 11:59:59

Of course it is a job! Take no notice.

AMumInScotland Tue 23-Oct-12 12:00:04

Turn it back on them and ask "Whatever makes you think it's not a job?" don't try to justify why it is, make them explain why they think it isn't. That way they'll be forced to think a little about their preconceived ideas about what's a job and what isn't. People who make twattish comments have usually just never really thought about it, and have just opened their mouth to let the noises out....

Indith Tue 23-Oct-12 12:01:24

Of course it is a bloody job! People are idiots. Do all their wrap around care childcare providers do it out of the good of their hearts then?

TheOriginalNutcracker Tue 23-Oct-12 12:03:40

Oh i do correct them, but they tend to just laugh tbh. I think they assume that I don't want to do any more hours and like to sit on my ass.

One childminder I know said i wasn't a proper minder because I'm not registered. I explained that I don't have to be, because i'm only caring for over 8's. I didn't register as a normal minder, because I would have ended up messing parents about, or having to drag their dc along to hospital appointments.

Peronally, I can't wait until I can find a job outside of the house, cos I am bored, but until then this is the best I can do.

flowery Tue 23-Oct-12 12:08:24

I'd be concerned about why these people think they have any right to comment on whether what you do is a job or not.

TheOriginalNutcracker Tue 23-Oct-12 12:09:00

I think they just like the sound of their own voices flowery.

Oh I wouldn't bother correcting them, they're obviously trying to wind you up. I would reply with "a job?, why would I want one of those? I rather like sitting on my arse all day watching Jeremy Kyle and eating cake"

Might shut em up?

(disclaimer : thats not what I actually think!)

LRDtheFeministDragon Tue 23-Oct-12 12:13:00

Of course it is a job. My auntie has been a childminder her entire adult life and she's bloody good at it, too.

I think I would want to go in bluntly and ask what they think makes something a 'proper' job.

HeinousHecate Tue 23-Oct-12 12:13:23

Oh, then how about a puzzled look and quizzical voice and dripping with sarcasm "well, I'm confused. I am providing them with a service, and they are providing me with small pieces of paper which I can then exchange for goods in shops. I am baffled. What do you think this exchange could possibly mean?"

RubyCreakingGates Tue 23-Oct-12 12:15:19

Hecate I think I love you!

spiderlight Tue 23-Oct-12 12:15:24

Not a proper job?! Tell that to Granny Murray.

CremeEggThief Tue 23-Oct-12 12:15:28

I'd like to see them take on what you are doing. How annoying when people feel free to pass comment on something they don't know much about sad.

YANBU.

Kewcumber Tue 23-Oct-12 12:15:54

how about...

"We can call it a profitable hobby if you prefer?"

Don't worry about it.

TwelveLeggedWalk Tue 23-Oct-12 12:18:29

Crikey, do people really say that? The thought of looking after other people's pre-teens in the post-school witching hour makes my blood run cold. I would want to be paid A LOT to do that. Massive great big YANBU.

TheOriginalNutcracker Tue 23-Oct-12 12:20:00

LOL Hecate, I have said similar.

Perhaps that are just trying to wind me up. I will have to learn to just ignore them.

TheOriginalNutcracker Tue 23-Oct-12 12:21:41

Oh believe me, at 6:50 am, when my friends dd is full of beans, I do sometimes wish that it wasn't a job, cos then I wouldn't do it LOL.

EleanorBloodBathsket Tue 23-Oct-12 12:22:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Youcanringmybell Tue 23-Oct-12 12:23:12

Ergh. I was childminding 3 under twos with before and after school children for 45 gours per week, run ragged and working through the evenings on planning and assesments.
Everyone still said...when you go back to work blah blah blah

I strongly feel that the term childminder and nursery nurse needs to be changed to Early Years Professionals (EYP's) so that the position gets the respect it deserves. So there.

Youcanringmybell Tue 23-Oct-12 12:23:39

Yes my typing is appalling...

HeinousHecate Tue 23-Oct-12 12:25:50

How about "Well, if it's not a job, they're giving me free cash! How great is THAT? I get money for doing no job. No wonder you're jealous."

grin ruby

TheOriginalNutcracker Tue 23-Oct-12 12:27:23

It is so bloody rude, but yeh i think you're right, it is jealousy.

I shall be using some of these replies in future grin

aufaniae Tue 23-Oct-12 13:28:07

When I moved from CMing to working in an office for the first time, I remember saying "you lot have no idea what hard work is!".

In an office, you are free to just leave your desk when you fancy it, make a cuppa and have a break. The computer is not at risk of inflicting serious bodily harm on itself or the computer next to it in your absence! And you get lunch hours. A whole hour!!!

As a CM you get no breaks, screamed at, peed on, pooed on, you have to be concentrating 100% of the time, and it's a huge responsibility as you are playing an important part in the development of another human being.

Have they considered that?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now