Talk

Advanced search

to think the cleaner at work shouldnt be washing up breakfast and lunch paraphenalia?

(23 Posts)
Boopers Tue 23-Oct-12 11:17:41

this is my first job in an office. everyone leaves breakfast bowls and dinner plates for the cleaner shock shock

that aint right surely? confused

arent they just to do tea/coffee cups at the most???

slartybartfast Tue 23-Oct-12 11:18:53

i bet no one else does it.

insancerre Tue 23-Oct-12 11:19:42

That's not right. Everybody should wash their own pots.

DesperatelySeekingPomBears Tue 23-Oct-12 11:19:55

YANBU, there's a big sign in our office kitchen saying if we don't wash them up we will no longer have kitchen facilities made available to us.

Boopers Tue 23-Oct-12 11:19:59

no one else does what slarty?

Hammy02 Tue 23-Oct-12 11:20:39

CEO at our place does his own. Some people are full of their own self importance.

FryOneGhoulishGhostlyManic Tue 23-Oct-12 11:20:55

People should wash their own pots.

ClippedPhoenix Tue 23-Oct-12 11:26:25

Depends what her job description entails I suppose but it if doesn't include these duties they yes they should wash their own bowls and plates etc.

Boopers Tue 23-Oct-12 11:28:01

oooo clipped naughty! Our cleaner is a man grin

Paiviaso Tue 23-Oct-12 11:28:33

I'm always amazed that grown adults think it's acceptable to shove their used dishes in the office kitchen and just abandon them.

But it happens everywhere. It wasn't too bad at one place I worked at, in which we all had break at the same time so there was social pressure to wash your stuff! But at my other places of work, sink filled with crockery :/

Trills Tue 23-Oct-12 11:29:01

Y might BU or Y might NBU

Part of what our cleaners are hired for is to put all cutlery/crockery in the dishwasher and then put the dishwasher on.

AMumInScotland Tue 23-Oct-12 11:32:41

It depends what the management have put into their agreement with the cleaner.

But in general, I do agree that people should wash up after themselves and not assume that the washing-up-fairy is going to come along and clean up after them.

We have two large signs in our mess room telling people to wash, dry and put away their dishes after use. And a permanently full draining board and usually at least a few things left on the side or in the sink. The cleaner doesn't do them, and quite right too, it's not in his list of responsibilities.

From time to time I freak out and do them, because otherwise the draining board gets grubby and I can't stand it....

Boopers Tue 23-Oct-12 11:34:14

we dont have a dish washer

maybe it is in the contract?? confused i find it hard to believe though-that would open themselves up for infinite amounts of work for no extra money?
It is just a bog standard contractor.

Also, it makes our small kitchen quite hard/unpleasant to use throughout the day-just find it shocking manners on that level, even

slartybartfast Tue 23-Oct-12 11:41:30

i bet no one else does the washing up and the cleaner has agreed to it and is paid to do so.

slartybartfast Tue 23-Oct-12 11:41:46

ask your colleagues?

lynniep Tue 23-Oct-12 11:45:13

Well it depends if its part of the cleaners job really. We have a washing up rota for cups and stuff, but we generally wash up our own lunch stuff, unless the person on the washing rota is kind enough. If its not in the cleaners job description, then the cleaner should NOT be doing it.

AMumInScotland Tue 23-Oct-12 11:46:19

Your cleaner may have a contract to do 2 hours per day, for instance, in which case they are just doing this instead of something else, not doing it for no pay.

eurowitch Tue 23-Oct-12 11:50:14

Our cleaner has always collected crockery and put it in the dishwasher. I do hate it when the kitchen gets really grim at the end of the day though.

WorraLiberty Tue 23-Oct-12 11:52:22

Maybe she gets paid a bit extra for it?

OhlimpPricks Tue 23-Oct-12 11:53:47

Take a plate in from home, wash it after you use it, should take all of 30 seconds. Keep it in your desk drawer. If you wash up for everyone else, they will expect you to. What did they do before You started?

I would rather clean my own plate and mug, Our office cleaner keeps his cleaning stuff in a 'trug' that he carries around. While I hope he keeps kitchen and toilet cloths separate, it makes me go bleurghh to think they are being carried in the same container!

Boopers Tue 23-Oct-12 12:16:22

ok, i have just asked about it. It is as muminscotland says...paid for 2 hours per day. So, it does kind of rob time from the weekly/monthly cleaning tasks

i do occasionally wash everything up but not often..I have no trouble with just washing up what I have used

cuteboots Tue 23-Oct-12 12:31:58

we have a dishwasher here and people still leave their plates and cups on the draining board . Our cleaner always collects the crockery and loads the dishwasher but iM not sure if shes paid to do this.

IneedAsockamnesty Tue 23-Oct-12 12:34:15

my office cleaner does but he is paid more than the going rate and it is in his contract.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now