Talk

Advanced search

Or was the doctor?

(34 Posts)
Purplehonesty Mon 22-Oct-12 21:22:29

Went to see doc today as I've been suffering with thrush from breastfeeding and mastitis.
I got something for the thrush from the health visitor last week over the phone but then mastitis kicked in so I needed antibiotics.
After consultation where he asked me what I thought it was and what treatment I wanted (eh?) I asked him to check dds mouth to see if he thought she had thrush as I had not spotted any symptoms and wondered if we should carry on with the gel/cream or whether it was actually just the start of the mastitis and he said hmm well does she have an appointment?! He had the briefest of looks and ushered me out.
I left thinking that was uncalled for..surely mum and new baby suffering from related condition don't need to make seperate appointments!

Sparklingbrook Mon 22-Oct-12 21:27:55

Doctor was being unreasonable. If the baby did have thrush then yours will never go. sad Make an appointment for the baby with a different Doctor to put your mind at rest.

GhostShip Mon 22-Oct-12 21:28:00

He was being unreasonable, but I suspect there's some sort of protocol, that prevents families from making a single appointment and dragging everyone in at the same time.

My doctor is ace though, and asks about my mum and brothers and whether they need anything (repeat prescription, phone call etc)

Sparklingbrook Mon 22-Oct-12 21:29:07

It wasn't like checking the baby's mouth took very long.

nuttyneighbours Mon 22-Oct-12 21:29:52

Guessing it the appointment/timing thing but no your not being unreasonable, would have thought he would have checked anyway, my GP did.

SoleSource Mon 22-Oct-12 21:29:52

My GP would never have asked if my DS had an appointment. He is good.

Yanbu

Change GP asap. See different GP for second opinion.

Sparklingbrook Mon 22-Oct-12 21:31:16

Can you book a double appointment?

crashdoll Mon 22-Oct-12 21:31:37

The trouble is, if everyone did that, it would take up too much time so I expect they have a blanket rule. That said, in your situation, he was being unreasonable.

Fakebook Mon 22-Oct-12 21:33:45

A quick look and then he could have asked you to organise an emergency appointment. Yanbu. Your problem is related to your baby, so it's a bit silly for him to not check her.

hermioneweasley Mon 22-Oct-12 21:34:27

I could understand if you asked him to check dd for an unrelated condition, but it's like asking a pregnant woman to make a sep appointment for the foetus!

I would complain.

GhostShip Mon 22-Oct-12 21:34:28

I remember reading a book, something like Diary of a GP, and they get 2/3 mins per person...

thebody Mon 22-Oct-12 21:35:02

He's being a bit silly, btw thrush can carry from babies mouth to your nipple and its v painful then to bf... I had this and used nipple shields which in turn led to blockages and mastitis.

So treat baby regardless, can't u just get cream from pharmacist? IMO pharmacists are ace and very helpful.

apostropheuse Mon 22-Oct-12 21:36:13

Our local health centre has notices up that you must make an appointment for each person who needs to be seen, so for a mother and baby you would book a double appointment. It's been like that for as long as I remember - it's to attempt to keep the appointments running on time I suppose.

Although it might only take a minute to look at the baby's mouth, if the baby needed a prescription they then need to organise that; if extra tests need to be run, that needs to be written up etc. So if people did that routinely the extra time needed can add up.

Teapot13 Mon 22-Oct-12 21:39:32

YANBU. Checking your baby's mouth is relevant to diagnosing thrush in you!

Idocrazythings Mon 22-Oct-12 21:40:01

What gets me is you wait sometimes 20-30 min to go in (you don't mind as you think someone obviously needs the Doctors time), but are then ushered out quick as you like even when you need the time! (Well that's what happens to me anyway)

And I think he was being unreasonable; as, as a breastfeeding pair you and the baby should be considered one, not two- especially when it's relevant and part of the problem. Hope your mastitis and thrush get better soon.

Purplehonesty Mon 22-Oct-12 21:40:12

Thanks I thought it was a bit odd seeing as if she had it in her mouth and I stopped the cream we'd be passing it between each other again.
And seeing as I self diagnosed and told him which antibiotic I'd like I must have saved him a minute or two!
Will mention to receptionist if we both need to be seen again for double appt booking, good idea.

mudipig Mon 22-Oct-12 21:41:59

I don't know. If he wasn't expecting to examine your baby he wouldn't have had her notes up. Normally if both me and dd need an appointment I book two appointments together.

BinksToEnlightenment Mon 22-Oct-12 21:42:02

He was. I know the appointment was for you but he should have made time. It's a related issue.

Purplehonesty Mon 22-Oct-12 21:43:43

Me too I rushed to get there for 8.30 then waited til 9 for approx 3 mins of his time.
A few friends have commented that this doc always asks you what you think is wrong with you and what you want him to do about it...It's very off-putting, I wanted to say I have a sore boob and I want you to make it not sore (childish I know!) grin

NightFallsFast Mon 22-Oct-12 21:45:12

GPs are trained now to ask what you think is wrong with you and what you would like as treatment, it's called "ideas, concerns and expectations" (or ICE) and is meant to stop you from coming out of a consultation thinking "I don't understand why he didn't think it was X condition" or "why didn't he offer me Y treatment". Apparently from surveys etc it's what patients want. Sometimes it's useful, sometimes it makes patients wonder whether the doctor knows what they're doing or if they're fishing for ideas!

The GP had a look in your daughter's mouth, did he treat her? I can see it's appropriate to ask if she has thrush and perhaps have a quick look and treat. However I'd say that in 2 or 3 appointments a day I'm asked to look at a relative during a consultation. If I have the briefest look and discussion and document it in the notes this takes 5 minutes, which means all the following patients will be seen 5 minutes late (or more if there's more than one in a session). If I was giving him the benefit of the doubt I'd say he was either running late or was fed up with people bringing multiple complaints to one 10 minute consultation. On the other hand he could have just been rude and dismissive.

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Mon 22-Oct-12 21:45:23

Doctor was an arse.

Do you have to see him or do you get a choice at your surgery? If you say you want a lady doctor just to get someone else they'd have to let you.

nuttyneighbours Mon 22-Oct-12 21:46:32

Only bit of advice I can give is of your not 100% confident in your gp change now before you really need him. DS1 was very poorly, not taken seriously by GP, wish I had changed earlier, now have the best GP practice.

IvorHughJackolantern Mon 22-Oct-12 21:47:18

He's an arse. I frequently piggy-back on DS's appointments if it's something quick or visa versa. Would have taken seconds to have a proper look and the thursh won't go if your DC has it. Ask to see another doc

sleeplessinderbyshire Mon 22-Oct-12 21:47:53

Gps are taught to ask patients what they think - it is part of exploring ICE(ideas concerns expectations) to ensure that they address the real reason you went. Sorry if you were put off by it but it is considered to be good practice. Whilst looking in your baby's mouth was a quick thing relevant to your appt it is important that a doctor has the full time for each and every patient to ensure they don't miss anything

CouthyMowEatingBraiiiiinz Mon 22-Oct-12 21:52:41

My GP ASKS if any of the other assorted rabble DC's I have with me, or me if it isn't an appointment for myself, need anything.

I'd change GP's, it's absurd that they wouldn't check and prescribe for your BF baby in this situation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now