Talk

Advanced search

AIBU in thinking that giving the HV should of known I had moved!?

(21 Posts)
LST Mon 22-Oct-12 20:55:04

I moved house in March this year and told everyone my new address. Including the Hosptial and my GP. My GP surgery is where all our main hv's offices are.

Today I received a very snotty phone call from the HV saying I have missed my DS's 12 month check. I missed one a month ago and another today. Fair enough... But, they'd sent the bloody appointments to my old address! How is this my fault!! It's not as if I haven't taken DS to the clinic in the past year! I've gone every 4-6 weeks for him to be weighed since he was born FGS.

I apologised and she just said 'well there is nothing you can do now'. I feel really guilty.

I've had a lot on my plate recently without the HV breathing down my neck. Will this go down on DS's record? sad

I'm not BU am I?

edwinbear Mon 22-Oct-12 20:56:58

dd (2nd child) has never seen the HV, it's not mandatory

julieann42 Mon 22-Oct-12 21:06:58

They ABU! My HV annoyed me so much with DD that I never took 2nd child to see her and nobody said anything! It's not compulsory and let's be honest if you had concerns about your child's progress I'm sure you would bagging on their door!

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Mon 22-Oct-12 21:11:11

Don't worry about it. Even if it does stay on a record, the only person that is going to pay it any attention is the snotty health visitor.

I can see why she was annoyed, missed appointments cost the NHS a fortune. But in your case it was a genuine oversight and it's just one of those things.

I think if you wanted your child to have the checks (which are not mandatory) then it's your responsibility to make sure you check if you haven't received appointments. Doesn't it say in the red book when the checks should be?

Either way, it's done now and it's not worth worrying about.

SamSmalaidh Mon 22-Oct-12 21:14:37

DS didn't have a 12 month check at all. If you're taking him to the clinic that frequently anyway then they'd have picked up any problems.

By the way, every 4-6 weeks seems a bit excessive past the newborn stage!

freddiefrog Mon 22-Oct-12 21:15:30

I don't think it'll go on record. I never took DD2 to a health visitor, we had a self-weigh clinic we could go to where you could talk to a HV if you wanted to. It's not compulsory

She's 7 now and no one ever said anything

I could see why she was annoyed with the missed appointments, but that's not your fault, you'd updated your records, she needs to take that up with whoever does their admin

LST Mon 22-Oct-12 21:15:43

It says 12 months. He's not 12 months for another 2 weeks. I just thought you went to clinic like I have been doing. No one told me there would be an appointment.

LST Mon 22-Oct-12 21:22:59

PFB Freddie blush But he is massive as well and they wanted to make sure his height matched his weight gain.

Shellywelly1973 Mon 22-Oct-12 21:33:21

My ds is 4. The part of London we live in dosn't offer any development checks apart from a 6 week check with G.P. I couldn't get an appointment until ds was 10weeks old.

Weighing clinic was once a month,i went once-waited2 hours&had to leave to pick other dc up from school.

HV came to the house when ds was 3 weeks old,as i requested ds red book-total waste of time! I've never seen a HV since.

Services in this borough are stretched,to say the least. HV service is almost nonexistent.

RightUpMyRue Mon 22-Oct-12 21:33:38

It will be on his medical record as a DNA- did not attend. This won't matter at all at any point in his life or yours unless he goes on the Child in Need/Child protection register and even then it would only be a very small consideration so really not worth worrying about.

It's not the HVs fault, personally, that she hasn't been informed of your change of address. The system they have for information sharing within the surgery is to blame. She shouldn't have been snotty with you though.

If I were you I wouldn't give it another thought. smile

thebody Mon 22-Oct-12 21:38:14

I never took my babies to see a Hv or near a clinic after the first one.

If you are happy what's the need. Silly cow, suggest you call practise manager and suggest she was rude and that they need to update their records better.

LST Mon 22-Oct-12 21:39:40

Thank you smile I worry about nothing most of the time.

I know is wasn't the HV fault personally but it wasn't mine either. I thought that telling one part of the NHS would infact cover all basis let alone 2! But hey ho.

nuttyneighbours Mon 22-Oct-12 21:41:08

Don't worry, when/if you do go add on to the bottom of the notes, DNA previous appointments as sent to wrong address if it makes you feel better.

Kalisi Mon 22-Oct-12 21:42:27

My Ds is 14months......Still waiting for that letter grin

nuttyneighbours Mon 22-Oct-12 21:44:37

Kalisi - ours was with the nursery nurse, have no objection to that but am a nursery nurse myself, had i know I may not have bothered as any question you ask her standard reply is 'i will need to refer that', and she annoyed me by asking 'do you look after him yourself or does he attend nursery?' erm.....both I look after him and he goes to nursery!

mosschops30 Mon 22-Oct-12 21:48:31

HVs dont keep a score sheet smile
you dont even have to see a HV
The GP should have notified her
No reason why she cant do the 12m check a bit later

Dordeydoo Mon 22-Oct-12 21:55:38

I wouldn't worry the boy i nanny for us 9months old and just had his 16 week jabs as they sent all the reminders to their old address

VivaLeBeaver Mon 22-Oct-12 21:55:59

I had this happen. Not 100% sure but I always thought it was the GPs fault as I'd Joined the new gp surgery. So why the new gp didn't tell the hv I have no idea.

4 years later i actually wanted to speak to a hv so I rang them up. She was socked I'd been in the village 4 years. Insisted on coming to the house to see me and I think probably to make sure there were no child protection concerns.

Don't feel guilty, no need to.

Dordeydoo Mon 22-Oct-12 21:56:38

Oh and apparently according to the doctor I saw there's a huge back log with jabs and appointments for babies

Minshu Mon 22-Oct-12 22:41:47

Similar happened with me. I even double-checked with the GP reception that the address change for myself and DD would update HV system, and our appointments still went to an old address for a few months...

Softlysoftly Mon 22-Oct-12 22:50:25

The HV seeing DD2 was a bit surprised when DD1 (3) wandered into the room. We had moved surgeries. Apparently changing your gp/address doesn't update the HV database. They use the surgery rooms but aren't linked confused.

She said shed need to get the children's information service (?) to update and send over DD1s records. Am waiting for her 3 year test and preschool boosters, not holding my breath though.

So YABU to think that a public service would in an way logical grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now