Talk

Advanced search

Euro Disney

(63 Posts)
cheeseandbiscuitsplease Mon 22-Oct-12 18:29:54

Off to euro Disney with my hubby and dd and ds on Saturday. Really looking forward to it but a friend of mine who has been before won't stop going on about what a rip off it is and how she wouldn't go again etc. I feel she's spoiling it before I have even got there!! If you have been can you give me any tips etc. she keeps laughing saying I won't like the food as its all fast food junk and she knows that whilst I'm happy for family to eat whatever they like whilst on holiday she knows I don't really like burgers and chips did every meal. I think she's trying to spoil it tbh.

McHappyPants2012 Mon 22-Oct-12 18:34:10

www.dlpfoodguide.com/style.html

looks like loads on offer here.

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Mon 22-Oct-12 18:35:02

I've been a couple of times, and I agree with your friend!

There are a couple of places where you can get decent food, but you have to hunt them out. All the food outlets that are in convenient locations are burgers and hot dogs, and they are hugely over priced. To the point that I was shock shock the first time we went, and we did expect it to be expensive.

If you are staying in one if the hotels, stock up on breakfast and take some of the food from there for snacks.

Everlong Mon 22-Oct-12 18:35:30

Your friend is being a cow.

I've been twice and yes the food is what it is and you have to get on with it.

It's only for a few days and won't do you any harm. Just try and eat a big breakfast at the hotel if you can?

It's nice at this time of year, we were there last October, it was chilly so take gloves and hats.

But just enjoy yourself, it's great smile

carocaro Mon 22-Oct-12 18:36:22

Don't listen to her, we went in the Summer and LOVED IT!! It was FABULOUS!! DS aged 10 and DS aged 5, me and DH. Which hotel are you staying in? Do you know about fast passes? The 11pm Fantalusional show is so stunning, we all cried! You need to get in place by 10pm in front of the castle and you can sit on the grass behind the little wire fences. Have you done half or full board? Answer these questions and I can give you more info. Definites to do are the Stunt Show in Disney Studios...gotta got boys arguing, I will be back.

shrimponastick Mon 22-Oct-12 18:37:43

Your friend is being rude.

She should just nod politely when you are getting excited and tellingher of your plans

Everyone is different. and has different tastes.

floatyjosmum Mon 22-Oct-12 18:38:37

It's not just burgers.... The pizzas are Mickey Mouse shaped!

As the others have said there is a lot of quick aka junk food but there are other restaurants for a decent meal. The one that is next to pirates of the Caribbean ride looks good.

Have a great time. X x

NineteenForever Mon 22-Oct-12 18:42:08

Yes, enjoy! Check out 'the dibb'website and the disboards. They will give you menus- there is pasta, salads and baguettes, but yea expensive. There's a sandwich place in the railway station (slap bang next to the parks) and I'm told the 'spar' type shop in the station is good too. I'm a serial Disney goer- and experience tells me that there are people who moan, and people who will enjoy themselves. Ps check out Fuento del Oro by big thunder- there's some nice food there.

Eggrules Mon 22-Oct-12 18:45:29

I agree with your approach regarding eating on holiday. You just need to consume enough calories to fuel your fun.

I didn't book Disneyland for a gourmet experience. There is a lot of walking about and all that exercise will burn off any junk.

I'll try to remember where we ate.

I am envy. It will be awesome.

carocaro Mon 22-Oct-12 18:49:32

Charcter breakfast or lunch at Cafe Mickey a must, ours came as part of half board. Loads of characters come to the table and interact with you, Goofy stole my hat, Eyore fell asleep next to us.

You must book all meals in restaurants in advance, even in the hotel and Cafe Mickey.

Standard of hotel food excellent, buffet style help yourself, could not fault it. Breakfast all fresh fruit, bread, cheese, crossiants.

Earl of Sandwich in Disney Village great, £20 for 4 lovely big fresh sarnies, crisps and drinks.

We hired a Hertz buggy, left as you enter thought main gates for DS2 who is 5, as it is very tiring and was 20 degrees when we went in August, in fact both boys took it in turns to be pushed about. It also gives you somewhere to put all your stuff. £8 a day I think.

They also have different characters in the Disney hotel lobbys each morning from 8-10 I think, boys were so excited to whizz down to reception to see who was there, Chip and Dale were hilarious!

We stayed in teh Sequoia Lodge, brilliant, excellent service and very professional.

Fishwife1949 Mon 22-Oct-12 18:49:35

The food is a bit of a rip off but my sons jaw hung open when he arrived and thats no mean feet belive me its awsome and you mate is most likey green with envey

Everlong Mon 22-Oct-12 18:50:14

We ate at mickeys diner.

All arranged by my friend. It was my birthday and she had arranged for mickey to sing ' happy birthday ' to me the liitle witch grin

cheeseandbiscuitsplease Mon 22-Oct-12 18:51:41

We are staying at the Secoya lodge? Don't think that's the correct spelling. Little fella (7) has cerebral palsy and we were hoping we could have some kind of pass as standing for long periods tires him out. I'm really excited to go, we are just on bed and breakfast. Thanks for all your replies so far. I guess I know it's going to be expensive, it's Disney!! Just fed up of the smirking and head shaking as if we were doing something completely bizarre and ridiculous by going to euro Disney! We've saved up and I for one are gonna go on everything - twice!!! smile

Wandaaa Mon 22-Oct-12 19:07:05

I love Euro Disney and have visited three times with DP and DD. However it is expensive, we usually fill up at breakfast and stop for a drink and cake snack in the afternoon and have a meal on a night. The last twice we went half board and there are a few places that do eat as musch as you can buffets.
I have read reviews when people have said don't bother going to Disney studios, but this is our favourite park and well worth a visit.
Make sure you see all the shows not just the rides and if you are staying in a Disney hotel make use of the magic hours on a morning when you can keep going on the Buzz Lightyear ride with very little queue grin

MrsPresley Mon 22-Oct-12 19:14:11

I am so envy

I'm not going back till 2014, when I'm taking my 3 youngest grandchildren, have already taken the older ones.

Do try Annettes diner in the Disney Village, it's lovely, huge portions!

It's like a 50's diner and the staff get around on roller skates, the last time we were there they had an Elvis impersonator, so, to me, of course that was almost as exciting as meeting Mickey Mouse grin

I also enjoyed the hotdogs with cheese sauce from Caseys, just on the corner of Main Street Yummy!

Ok, so it's all junk food but it's only a few days.

Agree with Wandaa, the Buzz Lightyear ride is fantastic and the Teacups, Small World, in fact I just love everything there!

Have a great time envy

Sabriel Mon 22-Oct-12 19:14:59

Take proof that your DS is disabled (DLA award letter, or letter from your GP). Go to the guest services place in City Hall just inside the main gates on the left and they will give you an Access Pass so that you don't have to queue with everyone else. If there are any shows on you get priority and also there is a special area by the side of the Castle to watch the parades.

The food is expensive but we had a fantastic meal in Walts and another in the fish place next to Pirates of the Caribbean. No burgers or chips in sight.

Sounds like your friend is jealous and trying to rain on your parade. Ignore her.

Eggrules Mon 22-Oct-12 19:19:14

I liked Annette's Diner too. The big queue outside went down really quick.

We did as others have suggested and filled up on breakfast and then had an evening meal. Controversially, we sometimes made DS a cheese roll from the breakfast buffet for his lunch. We took snacks with us and bought sandwiches at the station; there is a bag search but this was never a problem.

Fairylea Mon 22-Oct-12 19:22:31

I agree with your friend about the food. The only nice place we found to eat was the restaurant called walts (I think) on main street.... if you sit by the window upstairs you can see the parades go past smile

But seriously... its bloody DISNEY !!! you can eat all the veg you can manage when you get home... you're only at Disney once or maybe a few times if youre lucky.. ! And it is magical .. my dd danced round the whole place pretending to be a princess smile

And she thought the boats on the Peter pan ride really flew!! ("Mum how do they make them fly???!")

And go and see Lilo and stitch show... its so clever !

Tobagostreet Mon 22-Oct-12 19:24:34

Also very envy and think you're 'friend' is being a real cow.

There are loads of burger/pizza/hotdog places, but other places to eat too! The food in the hotels is great and you're only a train ride into Paris should it take your fancy.

I love DLP and WDW. grin

You'll have a great time (it is the happiest place on earth after all) - as said before, check out the Dibb for do's and don'ts.

bananaistheanswer Mon 22-Oct-12 19:25:26

I think your friend is maybe being a bit tactless but it's worth having a realistic idea of what it will be like, instead of the wonderful experience you might expect. I had no idea what to expect, but had high expectations, and was really disappointed as a result. The 2nd time we went was much better because I knew what to expect, and enjoyed it more as a result.

So, I'd like to warn you about the rudeness of other people, queue skipping, and general chaos when it's busy. Which is pretty much all the time! Be prepared to stand your ground in queues for rides/food/buses etc. And don't be surprised when you get grown adults pushing past small kids to get to characters - every single person seems to think their child is the most important so pushes forward to the detriment of everyone else. Or they want to meet the characters themselves! Honestly it's jaw-dropping at times. Don't hang back expecting people to take their turn, they'll just push right past you. Be assertive!

However, on the upside, it can be a fantastic experience, and your DS will love it. I'd recommend the character dining as well, as you get them coming to your table rather than having to jostle your way through a crowd to get to them. Cafe Mickey IMO is the best, and the food isn't too bad either.

laanndaaannanny Mon 22-Oct-12 19:27:35

Ooo you can get these burgers at the toy story ride where there pizzas instead of burger buns. grin Common you know you want to try one.

Fairylea Mon 22-Oct-12 19:31:16

Oh and not sure how old your dc is but ... be a bit wary of crushes coaster.... it's all hidden inside a massive warehouse and lots of little kids (age 6-7ish) were upset when they got off .. its very turbulent !! My mum and I went on it and I kid you not I nearly pooped my pants.

Pirates of the Caribbean was our fave ride.

Oh I want to go again so badly !!

AGeeksWife Mon 22-Oct-12 19:33:12

YANBU, I can never understand how people say its only burger and chips. Every time I have been I've had all sorts of food and plenty of fresh veg/salad. My mum is dairy free and vegetarian and last time we went she had loads of choice (and not even any chips).

Eggrules Mon 22-Oct-12 19:34:39

Stitch Show in the Studios was one of our favourite bits. I liked the sandwich/cafeteria place nearby.

If you have room in your luggage, take a costume with you.

I didn't think the food was that bad. At the steak restaurant in the Village, DS had poached salmon in vegetable broth. We stayed away from the burger places because they were very poor value for money. We have been three times and Pizza Planet (buffet pizza/pasta) has never been open.

McHappyPants2012's link is fab for checking out menus and prices. I also recommend Figgy Girl's reviews on Tripadvisor (MNer)

Otherworld Mon 22-Oct-12 19:34:40

Agree - your friend is grumpy. Ignore but be prepared for eye-watering prices for food!

We loved the Earl of Sandwich just outside in the Village, and loved the Studios too. We had a great time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now