Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think that if medicines unsuitable for preg/bf are labelled as such, so should foods additives?

(11 Posts)
aamia Mon 22-Oct-12 16:49:37

Why is it, that every medicine must state if it's suitable for pregnancy/breast feeding, and yet many food additives which state (when you look them up) that they're not suitable for preg/bf, are not labelled as so on foods? I'm coeliac and most of the commercial foods contain xanthan gum/guar gum. If you look these up, they are NOT recommended for breast feeding women (and I looked them up because my baby was affected when I ate foods containing them). Nowhere, on he coeliac society website, or on the foods themselves, does it state this. Same with some other additives like certain artificial sweeteners!

GoSakuramachi Mon 22-Oct-12 17:04:27

There is no reason at all why pregnant or BF women shouldn't eat products containing xanthan gum.
What nonsense have you been reading?

MrsKeithRichards Mon 22-Oct-12 17:11:59

Doesn't all that fall within the remit of a healthy diet?

vodkaanddietirnbru Mon 22-Oct-12 17:17:13

WebMD just says: Not enough is known about the use of xanthan gum during pregnancy and breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid using amounts larger than those normally found in foods.

It also says: Taking guar gum during pregnancy in typical amounts is POSSIBLY SAFE. But not enough is known about the safety of taking guar gum during breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.

I think they contra-indications are related to taking supplements of both rather than the amounts present in foods.

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 22-Oct-12 17:18:38

There is a huge gap between 'not recommended for' and 'bad for'. I wanted to take lysine during pregnancy and was told that there is no evidence either way so not to take it. well, I'm pretty sure there is no evidence either way for broccoli but no one is slapping that out of my hand.

GoSakuramachi Mon 22-Oct-12 17:25:17

The main reason everything says not recomended in pregnancy/BF is that its unethical to do any testing while in those states, so no trials are conducted on medicines/anything else in pregnancy/BF.
Thats why things that are totally fine say things like "check with a doctor" on them.

aamia Mon 22-Oct-12 17:27:01

Xanthan and guar have separate potential side effects... Neither of the gums are recommended for pregnant women or mothers who are breastfeeding.
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-difference-between-xanthan-gum-and-guar-gum.htm

How to Thicken your Smoothies: Guar and Xanthan Gum Info and ...
smoothiegirleatstoo.blogspot.com/.../saturdaysunday-smoothie...27 Dec 2009 – Do not take xanthan gum if: You are pregnant or breast-feeding.

Consumers who are pregnant, breastfeeding, have intestinal narrowing symptoms or are scheduled for surgery within two weeks should avoid the gum.
Read more: Production of Xanthan Gum From Molasses | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_6513789_production-xanthan-gum-molasses.html#ixzz2A2uP2FOB

And so on...

GoSakuramachi Mon 22-Oct-12 17:32:32

Any actual reputable sources rather than several levels below wiki ones?

GoSakuramachi Mon 22-Oct-12 17:37:42

Right, I've checked some actual science sources rather than yours, and you seem confused. Xanthan gum powder is used in medicinal preparations in quantities far higher than used as a food additive. It is these applications that are not recommended in pregnancy and BF (same as almost all medicines say).

This has nothing whatsoever to do with its use as a food additive, where it is perfectly safe for anyone to eat.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 22-Oct-12 17:39:33

I'd have thought that

avoid using amounts larger than those normally found in foods.

Is the key sentence. So it's fine to eat food with it in, but don't sit there and eat packets of it.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 22-Oct-12 17:40:28

I'm a midwife and I've never heard of xantham gum being potentially dangerous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now