Talk

Advanced search

To buy dd theatre tickets rather than toys as her main present?

(32 Posts)
Whistlingwaves Mon 22-Oct-12 14:54:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Mon 22-Oct-12 14:55:22

not too young, no.
dd1 is 5.5 and last year had theatre tickets and cinema vouchers for her birthday
she was thrilled.

Laquitar Mon 22-Oct-12 15:10:07

If she loves theatre then its fine imo.

You can always wrap her ticket?

My Godmother took me to the theatre on my birthday. Now i adore theatre and i always remember her when i go.

KenandDeirdre Mon 22-Oct-12 15:11:52

I don't think it has anything to do with age actually - it is more to do with the individual child and what they would be most excited about. Certainly my DC were more excited by toys than anything that comes in an envelope until the last year or so (are now teenagers).

Last Christmas was the first time that clothes were actually perceived as a 'valid' present!!

You know your own daughter - would she prefer this? Sounds a great idea to me but you know your child best.

givemeaclue Mon 22-Oct-12 15:27:51

Good idea.wrap it in a big box with balloons and a lion king toy

BobbiFleckmann Mon 22-Oct-12 15:30:31

I was really hoping this was going to be someone wanting to buy Clarissa a pair of tickets for Hamlet at the Young Vic as now she's 7, she needs some culture ;-)

Any chance you could go and see the show after Christmas so there is somethign to look forward to / unwrap? the anticipation for these things is often as good as the real thing.

OhTheConfusion Mon 22-Oct-12 15:36:25

Santa left a huge box addressed to all of us last year grin. It was wrapped in bright paper with a huge bow.

Inside it had a foil monkey balloon with a family zoo pass attached. It was really exciting to watch the DC's open it and they loved having a gift to use at a later date (they are 10, 7 and 1).

DH and I figured we would easily spend the same amount on two days out or 'extras' at christmas and it really has given us so much joy. We used it on boxing day!!!

SecretSquirrels Mon 22-Oct-12 15:41:13

Well if the show was on in July wouldn't you have bought those theatre tickets anyway?
I'd get proper presents as well.

HappyMummyOfOne Mon 22-Oct-12 16:02:08

Why not ask her what she would choose? I the tickets mean no other presents as the cost includes the adults tickets then its a little unfair.

googlyeyes Mon 22-Oct-12 16:18:39

I would get the tickets without a second thought. In fact that's what we do with dd(8) nowadays as she has always been spectacularly unmaterialistic and uninterested in 'stuff', but it still took us 7 years to realise that just because it was the convention for kids to receive toys, she wasn't enjoying them or making use of them.

All kids are different! dd loves it now when we present her with an experience (as close to xmas or bday as possible). That's what makes her happy so we go with it

Fishwife1949 Mon 22-Oct-12 16:21:43

Did it last year took ds 12 and a mate to see matilda then a slap up meal

We go in for experinces more than gifts in our family

Fishwife1949 Mon 22-Oct-12 16:22:59

Oh just thought also took ds to see lion king for birthday aged 9 as well

cocolepew Mon 22-Oct-12 16:24:59

I did this last year for DD (10) unfortunately it was JLS tickets and I had to go with her grin

She loved it though.

Whistlingwaves Mon 22-Oct-12 16:52:39

Whistlingwaves Mon 22-Oct-12 16:53:44

Felicitywascold Mon 22-Oct-12 16:55:25

Sounds a great idea and she will love it (based on your description).

Do it. Kids don't need 20 things to open to know you love them.

Joiningthegang Mon 22-Oct-12 16:56:35

Do it - i would rather spend money on memories and experiences than toys they dontt need - i am sure there will be plenty else to open!

Dotty342kids Mon 22-Oct-12 17:03:29

Oh, I hope this works well as we're doing similar for our kids this year. DD (7) has her birthday the week after Christmas so we've got Strictly tour tickets for her (and us!!) and my DS (9) tickets for Olly Murs on his actual birthday. It's the first time we've got them things like this and a few little bits to open, rather than all presents so I hope they like it!!

MegTheCat Mon 22-Oct-12 17:58:11

Sounds like a great idea. I would explain beforehand (if you want it to be a surprise you don't have to give all the details - just call it a treat instead of toys) and check she's ok with it.
If you think she will miss having presents to open you could just get a few cheap things (but not tat) and wrap them up. Kids don't really know how much things cost.

troubador Mon 22-Oct-12 18:00:49

Mine are two and four and are getting season tickets for the local open farm this year. Much better than more tat, imo.

YANBU, your DD will love it.

Loolah Mon 22-Oct-12 18:16:54

Lion king is fab i've been twice and would go again. Tickets as a present is an excellent idea, DD8 has got One direction tickets as her main present. She is going to scream when she realises where we are going even though it is not until April

loisin Mon 22-Oct-12 19:56:53

We did this exact thing (theatre tickets instead of physical gift) with DD (4) and she loved it. She got 'traditional' gifts from other family members and the outing itself was a special treat that I'm sure she'll remember for a while. Go for it!

OldCatLady Mon 22-Oct-12 20:00:56

If its something she'd like then not too young. Quite a few (maybe 4) years as a child I got tickets to see ballet in London, they were always my fave presents because I knew it would mean a big day out with mummy. I totally loved it, and looking back they are the only presents I can remember...I don't remember any if the Barbies, art sets or other crap I got.

McHappyPants2012 Mon 22-Oct-12 20:05:48

i think it is a fantastic idea, i hate all this you have to have 1312438438 presents under the tree for christmas. It is a waste of money, time and resources.

picturesinthefirelight Mon 22-Oct-12 20:17:03

I've bought dd theatre tickets a few times for her birthday. Last year she asked to take a friend to a show instead if having a party.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now