Talk

Advanced search

Jimmy Savile and Guy Fawkes

(25 Posts)
Sallyingforth Mon 22-Oct-12 13:53:44

Serious question.
I've been railroaded into asked to make a guy for the bonfire at a friend's firework party on Nov 5th.
It occurred to me that it might be topical to use a picture of J.S. as the guy's face.
WIBU to do this? Adults might be amused but I'm concerned that the children might ask difficult questions. What does the panel think?

BunnyLeBOOwski Mon 22-Oct-12 13:54:54

Snort. I would grin

Prepare for lots of bosom-hoiking and stern words on here though.

cheekydevil Mon 22-Oct-12 13:55:06

I think it is in bad taste. It is no joke what he has done. Go for someone that it could be taken more light hearted about

ShushBaby Mon 22-Oct-12 13:55:34

I think definitely not! Reduces the whole thing to a joke. Also a bit lynch-mobbish. Also might be very upsetting for those who have experienced abuse. So, if this really is serious, just no.

ThatVikRinA22 Mon 22-Oct-12 13:55:50

personally i wouldnt.

seeker Mon 22-Oct-12 13:55:58

Absolutely revolting idea. Yuck.

justmyview Mon 22-Oct-12 13:57:19

I wouldn't do that

GoldenGreen Mon 22-Oct-12 13:58:11

please don't

Sallyingforth Mon 22-Oct-12 13:59:38

Well that's a lot of negatives in quick succession. I'll go by the majority decision and forget it.
I didn't intend it to be a joke - burning someone isn't funny.
Thanks for the quick replies.

EdithWeston Mon 22-Oct-12 13:59:54

It was a joke on Mock the Week too. Got a gold shell suit?

If it's a private party where you're sure it would be an acceptable joke to the overwhelming majority of guests, then OK.

But if it's a wider audience, especially as you may not know if any have been victims of any kind of abuse in childhood nor where they are on their journey in dealing with it, then I would be very careful.

Fakebook Mon 22-Oct-12 14:00:05

No I wouldn't. It would take the limelight off poor old Guy Fawkes. It's his day, not fucking arsehole js.

ObiWan Mon 22-Oct-12 14:01:08

I wouldn't.

There is a festival somewhere I think that ecourages topical guys, but I think it's often in poor taste (especially as some of the guys were based on people who are still alive, and just not very popular.

I've always felt a teeny bit of sympathy for poor auld Guy Fawkes himself though.

Sallyingforth Mon 22-Oct-12 14:04:31

Does anyone have ideas for a face then?
I would like to make it recognisable rather than the usual bland nobody.

bruxeur Mon 22-Oct-12 14:07:05

Stuff a condom full of sausagemeat, smear all over with canola, lank wig on top - hey presto!

Dave Cameron.

JoshLyman Mon 22-Oct-12 14:07:37

Do Lance Armstrong instead

Is this not about guy fawkes?

Am pmsl at bruxeur

cheekydevil Mon 22-Oct-12 14:11:32

Do Simon Cowell or some other tosser that produces utter shite tv

solidgoldbrass Mon 22-Oct-12 14:12:24

Most 'party' shops have face masks of slebs these days. David Cameron is probably quite a good topical choice. Actually, Maskerade (SP??) the biggest mask brand, probably have everyone you could think of, Maybe pick a fictional character such as Lord Voldemort?

cheekydevil Mon 22-Oct-12 14:13:19

ooooh, got it, Jeremy Vile!

Do people not just do guy fawkes any more though?

loobydoopy Mon 22-Oct-12 14:15:35

Ben Fogle or a Labrador.

Sallyingforth Mon 22-Oct-12 14:25:08

Thanks for the suggestion of mask supplier solidbrass.

I'm going for a Hannibal Lecter mask.

aldiwhore Mon 22-Oct-12 16:19:31

I HATE 'guys'.. I love bonfires.

If you put a face on it, it isn't a guy but an effigy, and I am deeply uncomfortable with that.

Much as I suspect his absolute guilt, he hasn't been proven guilty and even if he was, turning him into a bit of fun on Bonfire night a) isn't actually funny b) isn't fair on everyone including children who might just want to enjoy the night without watching a imitation paedophile burn and c) as said before, it's Guy's night and if anyone should be burned it should be him poor chap.

We just don't have guys at all.

GetOrfAKAMrsUsainBolt Mon 22-Oct-12 16:30:23

Oh god no. Rrally not a good idea.

I don't like guys either, poor bastard.

Just have a bonfire, they are splendid enough without burning effigies.

I love bonfires <thinks of which wardrobe to burn>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now