Talk

Advanced search

So fed up with this used car dealer!!

(21 Posts)
llynnnn Mon 22-Oct-12 12:36:46

We bought a used car about 5 weeks ago now and have had nothing but problems with it! It was 'sold as seen' by the dealer so didn't come with a warranty.
Whilst test driving it we could tell it needed new brake pads but decided the price was right for us to get these repaired.

So one week after purchase we took it in to get the brakes fixed, it also needed pads and suspension springs. £500 in total!

The week after I put the window down and it came off its runners and disapearrd into the door, another £90. We still didn't complain as appreciated it was wear and tear.

Last week the engine management light came on, rang the manager of the garage and he was awful. Refused to speak to me because im a woman (seriously said that!) and he's a mans man and only deals with men. The v5 is in my name! After putting him onto dh he refused to fix it (at first) saying he's had loads of probs with our old car he took in part ex. We were very honest about our old car as it needed the air bag fixing. He evertually agreed to fix it tomorrow for us. However this lorn we can't even move the car due to a prob with the coolant! The garage it's booked into is 25 miles away and he's refusing to eat it towed there or send his mechanic here to fix it. He won't give us a courtesy car and we really need a car!

I'm so so so fed up with the whole thing, his attitude towards us (especially me as a woman!) is appalling. Ive spoken to cab about it who told me what ive already said to him, sale of goods act, satisfactory quality etc. an we need to negotiate with him. This man is impossible to negotiate with sad

Don't know where to go from here, hate the car, hate the garage, have no money left to through at it! But NEED a working reliable car for work, nursery run etc sad

llynnnn Mon 22-Oct-12 12:37:16

So sorry that was a mammoth ranting post!! blush

Greavesey Mon 22-Oct-12 12:40:41

Bad Times.

Get down to Halfords or Kwik Fit and get them to have a look for you. Generally a lot more friendly than your common or garden unscrupulous secound hand car salesmen.

Getting it fixed is your priority, then talk to CAB about Sale of Goods act and OFT etc. once your car is sorted.

thenightsky Mon 22-Oct-12 12:41:48

YANBU to be hacked off with his attitude. You seriously should never buy a car without warranty though.

llynnnn Mon 22-Oct-12 13:07:41

Thanks for the replies. If we get it fixed locally would we be able to claim the money back from the original dealer?

Thanks, we have vowed never to buy a used car again, let alone one with no warranty sad we only wanted a cheap one to last a year or so until we can afford a nice new car!

LRDtheFeministDragon Mon 22-Oct-12 13:39:01

I doubt you'd get the money back - the point of selling it 'as seen' is that you can't complain when it turns out to be shite.

That does sound rotten, though, I would be kicking myself.

I am not particularly knowledgeable about cars but I can tell when the suspension is buggered (it's that lurchy feeling/creaking sound). And I wouldn't be confident of my ability to pick out a decent car from a dud in this situation.

Can you look round local sites and see if anyone is selling a banger privately? I think it is a better bet than a dealer selling sold as seen, because obviously the dealer is trying to make money whereas someone selling a banger will sometimes want to get rid of it without having to faff around too much.

EleanorBloodBathsket Mon 22-Oct-12 13:46:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EleanorBloodBathsket Mon 22-Oct-12 13:47:20

lljkk Mon 22-Oct-12 13:50:23

Dealer Warranty or lack thereof is irrelevant under law.

The vehicle must be fit for purpose, Sale of Goods Act 1979. Talk to Trading Standards about what your rights might be. It sounds like you paid a low price & the problems whilst annoying are not excessive given the condition understood at point of sale, but Trading Standards will get a full picture & give good advice. Talk to them before making any deals with the dealer (very important).

AnnaBegins Mon 22-Oct-12 13:54:53

All dealers must by law offer a compulsory warranty, it was always 3 months but I did hear it was now 6 months but I may be mistaken. Even if sold as seen, this applies by law. Post in legal so someone more knowledgeable can confirm if you like.

This is why many dealers say "And we'll even give you 3 months warranty for free" so people think they are getting a good deal, but actually they are getting what they are entitled to.

Fiveisenough Mon 22-Oct-12 14:00:59

Agree with mentioning trading standards as you are entitled to 6 month warranty. Although they will tell you that you have to give them the opportunity to put the faults right first.

Be wary with regards to warning lights on the dash. I work at a garage and have seen dealers put tape or black silicone over the dash lights so you can't see them. So you need to make sure you see the light come on and then go off. Maybe you would be better off asking for your money back.

EleanorBloodBathsket Mon 22-Oct-12 14:02:15

Sallyingforth Mon 22-Oct-12 14:06:41

As said above the 'sold as seen' is not valid. If he's selling a car as a dealer then it has to be fit for purpose.

Fiveisenough Mon 22-Oct-12 15:41:05

Even if he wasn't a dealership a car trader I.e. someone who sells cars for a living it is still covered by trading standards. The only time this doesn't count is if a vehicle is sold for spares/repair.

ENormaSnob Mon 22-Oct-12 16:07:58

Mine was from a main dealership and they were dreadful when it came to problems.

Oh and the 3 month warranty offered with purchase isn't actually a warranty, it's a mechanical guarantee for the first hundred quid only.

That was Citroen btw.

llynnnn Mon 22-Oct-12 18:43:02

Thanks for the replies. Dh managed to speak to the guy and quoted all the relevant laws and our rights. He eventually agrees to lend us a car while this is being repaired, so it's going in tomorrow. Our breakdown recovery company will tow it to the garage.

Apparently this guy won't speak to women as it is against his religion hmm he is only allowed to speak to his wife and daughters!! I haven't a clue how he expects to run a successful business whilst refusing to speak to half the population! hmm he should have a sign up on his premises 'women not welcome!' angry

llynnnn Mon 22-Oct-12 18:44:08

Sorry meant to say, yes it is a registered car dealership bought on trade premises.

He's just as dodgy as...

Ponyofdoom Mon 22-Oct-12 18:51:27

I agree, Sales of Goods Act -though its tricky if the car was cheap; under £2k, see Honest John website for more info. Incidentally, I viewed a car at a dealers last week, despite the fact that I phoned up and talked to him, the car was for me and I was paying, he handed the keys to my partner for the test drive! I made a minor scene about this and when he showed disinterest in offering even a 3 month warranty I walked away.

llynnnn Mon 22-Oct-12 18:59:41

Good for you pony, that's exactly what we shouldve done. Although at the time of sale they were very helpful and keen (didn't see this owner guy tho, just the salesman)

rogersmellyonthetelly Mon 22-Oct-12 19:06:17

Is it a Renault by any chance? We bought a car in similar circumstances, from a dealer who I suspect was of the same religion as the chap you bought from (it's the only one I can think of where talking to women is a problem) trading standards basically kicked their arses and they refunded us for repairs. (£130 for new exhaust which was held on with string and fell off the day after we bought it, £600 for new water pump which failed a week later)

llynnnn Mon 22-Oct-12 21:45:47

Rogers, no its not a Renault, it's a volkswagen (who everyone tells me are bullet proof hmm) pleased you got sorted, its a complete nightmare! I hope that this time tomorrow, and for the future coming months I can say the same!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now