Talk

Advanced search

To not get MIL a Christmas present this year

(69 Posts)
5ThingsUnderTheBed Mon 22-Oct-12 11:29:26

Given that DH and I have just spent £200 buying her a mobility scooter?

She was here yesterday and we told her we weren't getting her one and she seemed ok with it. She has just called DH regarding something else and had a right go at him about the lack of present.

She is already coming here for her dinner on Christmas Day, I bend over for her by doing what she wants for dinner rather than my family's traditions so I think she is just going to have to suck it up and stop acting like a spoilt child!

AIBU?

Wearyworker Mon 22-Oct-12 11:30:47

You could maybe buy her a token gift just to hand over on Christmas Day, reminding her at the same time the scooter was her main present smile

ImperialBlether Mon 22-Oct-12 11:31:09

She sounds like a nightmare! I think it's time (now that she's in a bad mood anyway) that you should have your family's tradition this year and she should like it or lump it.

Isn't there anyone else who'd be prepared to have her for Christmas?

DesperatelySeekingPomBears Mon 22-Oct-12 11:31:44

What, nothing? You'll have her for dinner and have her be the only person without a gift because you were kind enough to buy her something she, presumably, needs?

Christmas presents aren't about necessity, hence I was very upset with the amount of babygrows I was bought for Christmas presents last year. Buy her a £10 present and stop being so Scrooge-like!

5ThingsUnderTheBed Mon 22-Oct-12 11:33:56

She wouldn't appreciate a token gift. If she would be happy with some handcream and chocolates I would buy her it.

No, there is boldly else she can go to for dinner. I don't mind her here for dinner.

5ThingsUnderTheBed Mon 22-Oct-12 11:34:10

Nobody, not boldly.

TinyDancingHoofer Mon 22-Oct-12 11:35:37

Buy her a bumper sticker for the scooter and wrap it up in a massive box.

Fakebook Mon 22-Oct-12 11:39:38

Surely the mobility scooter was a need rather than a want?

I think it's a bit mean not getting her even a small gift.

ENormaSnob Mon 22-Oct-12 11:40:06

With an attitude like that she'd be getting fuck all from me.

CrapBag Mon 22-Oct-12 11:40:13

YANBU.

She should be grateful you have just spent £200 on her scooter, not moaning and demanding that she have a christmas present too. Do people really have a go at others for not buying them a present!! shock

Saying that, my MIL always makes it quite obvious that they present she has got isn't good enough. She also made a point of showing DH the earrings (actually it wasn't the earrings she showed DH, it was just the box they came in) that her DD got her from an expensive jewellers this year for her birthday. It was a blatant "this is what your sister has bought me, I expect the same from you" knowing full well that we are broke. She didn't get a similar thing from us. People can get what they are given and they should appreciate the thought, not demand what they think they should have.

plutocrap Mon 22-Oct-12 11:40:36

I love the bumper sticker idea!

TiAAAAARGHo Mon 22-Oct-12 11:40:54

If she won't take a token gift, don't get her anything.

CrapBag Mon 22-Oct-12 11:41:14

"I think it's a bit mean not getting her even a small gift"

The OP has already said she wouldn't be satisfied with something small.

ENormaSnob couldn't have put it better.

OutragedAtThePriceOfFreddos Mon 22-Oct-12 11:43:46

I wouldn't get her anything if she is such an ungrateful misery, but if you are going to get her something, then make it some kind of mobility scooter accessory, like a bag that hangs on it or a blanket or something.

honeytea Mon 22-Oct-12 11:44:20

Just buy her some chocs from poundland and ignore her bitter looks. Christmas is for kids when it comes to pressies in my opinion.

Xnedra Mon 22-Oct-12 11:54:34

If you have DC/there will be DC around at christmad then I would get her a token gift, love the bumper sticker idea, if she doesn't appreciate she's the only one that'll look daft when you say, but the scooter's your main present'. I would also incorporate some of your family traditions into Christmas rather than just hers.

DeWe Mon 22-Oct-12 11:54:55

Offer to take the scooter back and wrap it up and give it her for Christmas.

RuleBritannia Mon 22-Oct-12 12:41:56

Why didn't she buy the mobility scooter herself?

reallyboredatwork Mon 22-Oct-12 13:29:17

How about some tena lady, a copy of War and Peac and one of those £5 tin of celebrations. As tiny says, wrap it up in a massive box.

maddening Mon 22-Oct-12 15:27:23

Get a cheap cubic zirconia necklace and tell her it's diamond?

thegreylady Mon 22-Oct-12 15:34:42

I'd love a £5 box of Celebrations for a present but my lot will give lovely thoughtful pressies as they always do.just imagine though-pigging out on a big tin of chocs with a good book and a glass of wine-heaven smile

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 22-Oct-12 15:38:23

The scooter might be a need but it is her need not theirs. I need a car for work. If someone bought me a car, I'd be bloody grateful and they wouldn't have to buy me a Christmas present.

Tartan blanket, job's a goodun.

Somebodysomewhere Mon 22-Oct-12 15:45:30

May i suggest a lump of of coal ?

Shodan Mon 22-Oct-12 15:52:40

How about a picture of the scooter in a frame so she won't forget what you got her? You could put a festive bow on it.

YouSmegHead Mon 22-Oct-12 16:07:24

Take the scooter back and wrap it up for Xmas day grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now